follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 11-18-2021, 07:36 AM   #1
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,141 Times in 1,986 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
RWD Inline-6 Mazda 6

Reports date back to 2017 about Mazda working on 2 variants on their new Inline-6 engines. It aligns with the reports of the CX-50 where the powertrain will be provided by Toyota for 2022 production dates.

The Vision Coupe was introduced featuring a 4 door coupe, yes, 4 door coupe. It is rumored it will come with either a diesel engine or a petrol engine hybrid.

https://www.motor1.com/photo/2394528...coupe-concept/

Old 11-18-2021, 10:23 AM   #2
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
It's Mazda, so it won't be anything MAZDASPEED. They will equip it only with an automatic and the motor will be more of an econo inline 6. Probably won't rev passed 6k and will be super cool but far from an enthusiast. Idk. Maybe I'm bitter about their latest Mazda 3 hatchback with that 2.5turbo motor.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 11:20 AM   #3
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I'm skeptical that they are still working on any sedan. I'd even be shocked if the Mazda3 isn't gone by 2023 when it would normally get a refresh. That is unless Mazda starts using Toyota FWD platforms. The CX-50 is built alongside the Corolla Cross, so Mazda could switch to a Toyota platform for FWD cars.

As for future vehicles, Mazda just announced the CX-60, CX-70, CX-80, and CX-90 to go along with the CX-50.

Although, the CX-50 was rumored to be RWD, but that didn't happen. So I'm not sure what will be RWD and carry the I6.

So, all CUVs and SUVs.

If, however, the new RWD platform is scalable in such a way that they can build the sedan next to any of the above models with minimal reengineering, it might be possible we see a "halo sedan." I'm not holding out that it happens. If it did, it would be a niche product and probably sell as well or worse than the Stinger has, and have the same short lifespan, assuming Kia does kill the Stinger next year.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 02:00 AM   #4
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
If they want to go more premium, which seems to be their MO, then a RWD platform with an AWD option seems like a must in order to compete against other premium manufacturers, almost all of whom use RWD platforms and longitudinal engines. I think more inline sixes is a great thing, especially turbocharged. A poor man's JDM BMW, and no, I am not talking about the Supra.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...brid-revealed/
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...rive-platform/
Old 11-19-2021, 03:14 AM   #5
alex87f
Meow

Drives: GT86, Volvo 996
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
With the car market the way it is now, I can't see Mazda building a RWD sedan with an inline 6 (even less so with a diesel). There's just too many markets where they won't be able to even put the car on sale by the time it's ready.

Electrification is coming whether we like it or not, and it would make zero sense for a car manufacturer specialized in small engines to start building larger ones now.

Also, that concept (no matter how gorgeous it is) is from 2017. If it was meant to be sold, we'd have seen it -or other more production-ready prototypes- by now.
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alex87f For This Useful Post:
Ohio Enthusiast (11-19-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 03:26 AM   #6
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,339 Times in 4,125 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Maybe I'm bitter about their latest Mazda 3 hatchback with that 2.5turbo motor.
What is it in particular you are bitter about?

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 07:26 AM   #7
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
What is it in particular you are bitter about?
That it wasn't offered with a manual or as a hot hatch.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (11-19-2021), funwheeldrive (11-21-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 08:11 AM   #8
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,141 Times in 1,986 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
That it wasn't offered with a manual or as a hot hatch.

They kind of, sort of released a Speed3, the Mazda 3 TCR, with a tag of $175K back in 2019. It was supposed to debut on a Michelin Sports Even in 2020, but we all know how that year went. Shortly after the TCR program was canceled.
weederr33 (11-19-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 10:11 AM   #9
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
If they want to go more premium, which seems to be their MO, then a RWD platform with an AWD option seems like a must in order to compete against other premium manufacturers, almost all of whom use RWD platforms and longitudinal engines.
Not really - Audi is doing fine with FWD biased AWD with pretty poor handling. Both BMW and Mercedes relegated their bottom tiers to FWD architecture. If you'll ask premium buyers, most won't be able to tell you their engine displacement, let alone which wheels are driven (unless it's AWD) or what's the layout of the engine.

Acura is another example.

The evolving car market, particularly the premium market, doesn't really make an ICE RWD platform a "necessity" for an upward climbing manufacturer like Mazda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex87f View Post
With the car market the way it is now, I can't see Mazda building a RWD sedan with an inline 6 (even less so with a diesel). There's just too many markets where they won't be able to even put the car on sale by the time it's ready.

Electrification is coming whether we like it or not, and it would make zero sense for a car manufacturer specialized in small engines to start building larger ones now.
Exactly. Even if they're close to production and can ship 2022 model years they'll probably only be able to squeeze in a single generation before an overwhelming shift to EVs happens. With a more realistic 2023 or even 2024 model year it makes even less sense.

Lotus (of all manufacturer's) have shown the "right" way of doing it, IMHO - pledge a full EV lineup and milk the existing ICE platform with minimal development investment to shore off a few more years of ICE.
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 12:49 PM   #10
Swift
I just Drive.

Drives: in the womb still
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Mazda builds their own engines in house I believe. I think the new CX-50 chassis shares similarities to the toyota corolla or Rav 4 and hence why it will be built in same factory. I fully believe Mazda has nailed it in the looks department and is trying to move more premium, and will indeed make a inline 6 and mate it to a hybrid powertrain. Inline6 for harmonics and efficiency is why they are being brought back(BMW supra).

Anyone in the market for a new vehicle for the wife and kids should seriously look at the value per dollar and looks. I run a rare Relex Blue 6spd mazda 6 and get average of 32mpg(80% highway). Torque is lacking, but non turbo 4cyl.

-92' Acura Legend 5spd coupe twin turbo project
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 01:47 PM   #11
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
Not really - Audi is doing fine with FWD biased AWD with pretty poor handling. Both BMW and Mercedes relegated their bottom tiers to FWD architecture. If you'll ask premium buyers, most won't be able to tell you their engine displacement, let alone which wheels are driven (unless it's AWD) or what's the layout of the engine.

Acura is another example.

The evolving car market, particularly the premium market, doesn't really make an ICE RWD platform a "necessity" for an upward climbing manufacturer like Mazda.
Acura is another example, but is it working making a premium Civic Si with the Integra? We will see.

When Hyundai went up market with the Genesis line, they were offering more for less. Mazda could try to offer the same for the same when comparing their high end models to legacy luxury manufacturers’ entry level models, but Mazda will not have the badge. I think they will need to bring it.
Old 11-19-2021, 02:44 PM   #12
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
When Hyundai went up market with the Genesis line, they were offering more for less. Mazda could try to offer the same for the same when comparing their high end models to legacy luxury manufacturers’ entry level models, but Mazda will not have the badge. I think they will need to bring it.
Genesis is actually a good counter-example - they're based on quite a long line of Hyundai badged cars; some RWD; some (most?) KDM only. The separate Genesis brand in the US is indeed new, but they didn't suddenly decide to make luxury cars, and they have a clear plan for EVs.

It feels to me that Mazda's push upmarket won't really benefit from a RWD platform (even if it would supposedly be shared with their crossovers as well), and for them to invest so much into developing this doesn't make sense.

On the other hand, there were some rumors of Toyota involvement in the I6 engine, so perhaps this is just yet another joint-project that only makes sense at Toyota's scale (same as Subaru wouldn't have made a BRZ on their own, or BMW a Z4).

Finally, I wonder why nobody said it before, but what about an I6 Miata? It would probably be a little nose-heavy (unless they can cram a transaxle in the trunk), but it should still be light overall and a high-revving N/A I6 would be magical.
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 04:31 PM   #13
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
Genesis is actually a good counter-example - they're based on quite a long line of Hyundai badged cars; some RWD; some (most?) KDM only. The separate Genesis brand in the US is indeed new, but they didn't suddenly decide to make luxury cars, and they have a clear plan for EVs.

It feels to me that Mazda's push upmarket won't really benefit from a RWD platform (even if it would supposedly be shared with their crossovers as well), and for them to invest so much into developing this doesn't make sense.

On the other hand, there were some rumors of Toyota involvement in the I6 engine, so perhaps this is just yet another joint-project that only makes sense at Toyota's scale (same as Subaru wouldn't have made a BRZ on their own, or BMW a Z4).

Finally, I wonder why nobody said it before, but what about an I6 Miata? It would probably be a little nose-heavy (unless they can cram a transaxle in the trunk), but it should still be light overall and a high-revving N/A I6 would be magical.
I imagine it'll be very similar to a BMW Z3/Z4 but built by Mazda.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
Ohio Enthusiast (11-19-2021)
Old 11-21-2021, 04:50 PM   #14
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,012 Times in 1,456 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
If they want to go more premium, which seems to be their MO, then a RWD platform with an AWD option seems like a must in order to compete against other premium manufacturers, almost all of whom use RWD platforms and longitudinal engines. I think more inline sixes is a great thing, especially turbocharged. A poor man's JDM BMW, and no, I am not talking about the Supra.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...brid-revealed/
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...rive-platform/
bingo
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote