follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 10-12-2020, 11:38 AM   #1
ThatOneGuyWithTheFace

Drives: Red 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thinking about going back to the stock Primacy's

I was 5 years in on the stock Primacy's holding strong. Then about a year ago, I got two flats at the same time due to something on the road.

I wasn't trying to research tires at the time, so I told 'em to gimme the cheapest tires they got. I received "Zenna Sport Line", at around 60$ or 70$ a pop. Of course, you get what you pay for. I'm a year in on the tires, but man it been a rough year. lmao The stock FR-S should not be spinning out from a red light for a solid 7 seconds every time it rains. I barely press the gas.

I'm thinking about going back to the stock tires because I never had any issues with them. They seemed good to me. But it could be that these new tires are such garbage that it makes them look good. Are there better tires than the Primacy's for cheaper? I see my local dealer is selling them for 276$ each.
ThatOneGuyWithTheFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:36 PM   #2
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuyWithTheFace View Post
I was 5 years in on the stock Primacy's holding strong. Then about a year ago, I got two flats at the same time due to something on the road.

I wasn't trying to research tires at the time, so I told 'em to gimme the cheapest tires they got. I received "Zenna Sport Line", at around 60$ or 70$ a pop. Of course, you get what you pay for. I'm a year in on the tires, but man it been a rough year. lmao The stock FR-S should not be spinning out from a red light for a solid 7 seconds every time it rains. I barely press the gas.

I'm thinking about going back to the stock tires because I never had any issues with them. They seemed good to me. But it could be that these new tires are such garbage that it makes them look good. Are there better tires than the Primacy's for cheaper? I see my local dealer is selling them for 276$ each.
whatever you do, dont get primacy hp's again, they are the literal most expensive tire on tire rack in the frs stock size, for absolutely no reason
meWant (10-17-2020), soundman98 (10-12-2020), ZDan (10-12-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 12:40 PM   #3
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,123 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
If you are set on primacys many people get rid of their good condition stock tires to upgrade.

They're usually dirt cheap a few hundred a set at most. Not sure what the FT86 community is like in your area but that can be a good place to start.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
Hoahao (10-17-2020), soundman98 (10-12-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 01:03 PM   #4
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,474 Times in 4,995 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
+1 if you can find a used set of Primacy local or willing to ship for <$400 then go for it, they're decent at that price point as a long lasting Touring tire. They are currently $237/each on Tirerack right now in OE size, 100% not worth that much money.

If you're buying new and it snows where you live and you don't want to have a second set of snow tires/have another snow vehicle then Pilot Sport AS3 is the go to.

If you're buying new and your car never sees <35°F then a Max Performance Summer tire is probably what you're looking for. Here's a helpful tirerack link, any should be decent, just decide how much money you want to spend.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...dex=0#allTitle

Although I've never heard anything great about Pirelli street car tires.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
ZDan (10-12-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 01:54 PM   #5
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
As noted above, you can get WAY better tires with WAY more wet and dry grip for WAY less $$$

Research tire tests and customer survey results at tirerack.com
Pay particular attention to wet test results!

For guaranteed zero usage in snow and/or ice conditions, Max Performance Summer tire category probably best bet. Extreme Performance Summer if ultimate grip and handling feel are more important, Ultra High Performance Summer if longer life and maybe ride comfort/noise are more important.

Even if you *might* have to drive in some snow and/or ice conditions, look at Ultra High Performance all-season category.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 02:46 PM   #6
pallen

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
If there's anywhere you get your money's worth, its tires. Not every expensive tire great, but none of the good tires will be cheap. Good tires will be money well spent.
pallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:50 PM   #7
WildCard600

Drives: 2020 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
+1 if you can find a used set of Primacy local or willing to ship for <$400 then go for it, they're decent at that price point as a long lasting Touring tire. They are currently $237/each on Tirerack right now in OE size, 100% not worth that much money.

If you're buying new and it snows where you live and you don't want to have a second set of snow tires/have another snow vehicle then Pilot Sport AS3 is the go to.

If you're buying new and your car never sees <35°F then a Max Performance Summer tire is probably what you're looking for. Here's a helpful tirerack link, any should be decent, just decide how much money you want to spend.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...dex=0#allTitle

Although I've never heard anything great about Pirelli street car tires.

From the link. LOL
Attached Images

WildCard600 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WildCard600 For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (10-12-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 08:12 AM   #8
grumpysnapper

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
%100 agree with others here... I can't think of a single positive about the Primacy, unless you can get excited about low rolling resistance...

Many other very good/better options available... just avoid "cheap" tyres.
grumpysnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:40 AM   #9
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
positives to low rolling resistance? Indirectly plentiful, if we forget handicapped main property, grip that is. Better fuel economy, longer lasting tires (low rolling resistance often comes together with higher wear rating .. and unfortunately less grip), lesser emissions thus less road tax and possibly also lower car price, as i'm guessing that car manufacturers might pay in some countries different taxes or have different incentives from gov-t for selling cars that are certified to better or worse emission standards .. probably passing extra costs to customer within final purchase price.
In my eyes, while cons of stock primacies are lacking wet grip and high price, they have their pros of their limited grip well matching limited NA stock power fun-wise, have stiffer sidewalls then many in eco-tires class providing tighter turn-in feel, last reasonably long (which reduces high cost importance).
Yes, high cost of primacies makes them less desirable purchase as next set, but it's not con for "free" initial set on new car. And i'm not sure that our sporty use and prioritizing speed, thus also grip, should also be attributable to priority list of normal daily drivers that never been to track .. but who outnumber us at least 10 times.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:54 AM   #10
grumpysnapper

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
positives to low rolling resistance? Indirectly plentiful, if we forget handicapped main property, grip that is. Better fuel economy, longer lasting tires (low rolling resistance often comes together with higher wear rating .. and unfortunately less grip), lesser emissions thus less road tax and possibly also lower car price, as i'm guessing that car manufacturers might pay in some countries different taxes or have different incentives from gov-t for selling cars that are certified to better or worse emission standards .. probably passing extra costs to customer within final purchase price.
In my eyes, while cons of stock primacies are lacking wet grip and high price, they have their pros of their limited grip well matching limited NA stock power fun-wise, have stiffer sidewalls then many in eco-tires class providing tighter turn-in feel, last reasonably long (which reduces high cost importance).
Yes, high cost of primacies makes them less desirable purchase as next set, but it's not con for "free" initial set on new car. And i'm not sure that our sporty use and prioritizing speed, thus also grip, should also be attributable to priority list of normal daily drivers that never been to track .. but who outnumber us at least 10 times.
These are only my opinions, and not meant to offend ...
I struggle to think that many people buy an 86 or BRZ primarily for the excitement of fuel economy reasons (if they did, a Subaru flat 4 will negate any benefits).
The Primacy is not even a very good low grip tyre...it might have relatively limited grip (which in itself is no bad thing), but the way the tyre "communicates" its limits is very poor....and even worse in the wet.
Being an "Eco" tyre, Primacy stiff sidewalls were designed for fuel economy rather than "turn in feel"...which is affected by many different factors. I have never found the Primacy to have great turn in feel...on any car I have driven with them fitted... from BMW's to VW delivery vans.
If a tyre has "stiff" side walls, that does not mean it will automatically provide "tighter turn-in feel". The shoulders of the tyre, the make up and spread of the compounds used, block patterns, temperature, pressures etc....and the simple mechanical "grip" of the rubber all impact initial "turn in" of a given design.
Tyres aren't free because they come with the car, we pay for them, and a car like the twins deserves better (again I'm not meaning amount of grip). Lets not kid ourselves, they were/are fitted because of cost (ie fitted to endless Prius, 86, Camry etc means great bulk deals....)
I see the Primacy as a clumsy 1 dimensional tyre, from (probably) the greatest tyre manufacturer in the world at the moment.
grumpysnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:31 PM   #11
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,474 Times in 4,995 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpysnapper View Post
I struggle to think that many people buy an 86 or BRZ primarily for the excitement of fuel economy reasons (if they did, a Subaru flat 4 will negate any benefits).
I was pretty happy getting >33 mpg a few weeks ago.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:10 AM   #12
daniloneil8

Drives: FRS
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ontact+DWS+06&
daniloneil8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:41 PM   #13
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,012 Times in 1,456 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Plenty of good tires out there for less.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote