follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 06-24-2019, 10:00 PM   #57
Viper8

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@TMF, thanks for the good info
Viper8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:23 AM   #58
steverife

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMF View Post
I actually ended up getting the H&R 5mm spacer kit, which comes with 5mm longer wheel studs (they looks very similar to OEM). I don't run spacers and I also did not want to have to take the hubs off to replace the wheel studs (not necessary if they are only 5mm longer).

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/h-r-...l#.XREEhOtKiUk

I've been running these wheel studs along with the aforementioned closed-end Gorilla lug nuts for the last year, and I still hammer them off with the impact driver, and back on (gently) with the impact, torque to 90 ft-lbs, and I've had zero issues (and I've swapped wheels countless times). They thread just as smooth as day 1. I do clean up the threads occasionally with a 3M abbrasive pad, which helps.

FYI on the ARP's: there are 3 different lengths. I bought part #100-7728 because of the length, 1.95", which I thought should be slightly longer than stock. When I received the wheel studs, they are slightly longer than stock, however the threaded portion of this ARP stud ends at exactly the same length as the stock wheel stud. If you're looking for stock length replacements, these are the right length. If you want longer, you'll have to get the super long ones 2.535", part #100-7729.
I've never bought a spacer kit and the images confuse me.

I would expect to receive nothing more than 20 studs and 4 actual 5mm spacers. Is that not the case?
steverife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:57 AM   #59
TMF

Drives: '14 FRS TT5
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverife View Post
I've never bought a spacer kit and the images confuse me.

I would expect to receive nothing more than 20 studs and 4 actual 5mm spacers. Is that not the case?
The image on their website is definitely confusing. When you order the 5mm kit, it is for two hubs/wheels, so you get a total of 10 wheel studs and 2 5mm spacers. To do all 4 corners, you will need to buy 2 kits.

Some of the larger spacer kits are the bolt-on spacer type, which is why I think those other spacers are in the photo.
steverife (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 02:16 PM   #60
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper8 View Post
Glad I ran into this...

Tried taking off a rear wheel yesterday to prep for a track day, and while unscrewing two lugs, they started to cross thread. I tightened them back up for the time being but am pretty sure they're going to snap their studs trying to get them off. Annoying because I'm pretty careful on install/removal so this sort of thing doesn't happen.

From what everyone has said, I'm going to go with ARP studs.
ARP studs, good open ended lugnuts.

Shameless plug.

https://www.counterspacegarage.com/c...ugnuts-m12x125
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
mixxxx (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 06:25 PM   #61
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
ARP studs, good open ended lugnuts.

Shameless plug.

https://www.counterspacegarage.com/c...ugnuts-m12x125
At $9.75/nut, they better add +5whp!
justint5387 (06-25-2019), Viper8 (06-26-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 06:31 PM   #62
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
What's wrong with SR48? Mine worked fine and are definitely not made of aluminium.

My 3/8" Milwaukee fuel started losing power after a year and started to suck at removing/installing lugs. I use the half inch with a torque stick now.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:25 PM   #63
rice_classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
I use the half inch with a torque stick now.
Since we change wheels so damn often at the track, I've been thinking about getting a 80 or 90 ft/lb torque stick to use with my 1/2" milwaukee impact. What torque stick do you use?

I was thinking about buying a kit like this https://www.amazon.com/Astro-78810-1...gateway&sr=8-3

edit: also want to add that I've been using/racing on the SR48s all year, they're steel. Wheels have probably been on/off the car ~100 times this year. They're a little worse for wear, but I'm abusive to my lugnuts.

Last edited by rice_classic; 06-25-2019 at 08:13 PM.
rice_classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:59 PM   #64
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Since we change wheels so damn often at the track, I've been thinking about getting a 80 or 90 ft/lb torque stick to use with my 1/2" milwaukee impact. What torque stick do you use?

I was thinking about buying a kit like this https://www.amazon.com/Astro-78810-1...gateway&sr=8-3

edit: also want to add that I've been using/racing on the SR48s all year, they're steel. Wheels have probably been on/off the car ~100 times this year. They're a little worse for wear, but I'm abusive to my lugnuts.
Torque sticks will still over-torque with enough ugga duggas. Use a high speed low torque impact like a Craftsman C3, and you can tap 5-6 times and still be barely 40lb/ft. Great for breaking and removing, and zipping on, but still leave room to tighten by hand.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:56 PM   #65
TMF

Drives: '14 FRS TT5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
What's wrong with SR48? Mine worked fine and are definitely not made of aluminium.

My 3/8" Milwaukee fuel started losing power after a year and started to suck at removing/installing lugs. I use the half inch with a torque stick now.
Uh, that's not right with the Milwaukee... I'd file a warranty claim. I used my 3/8 impact for a couple years with no degradation in performance. Sold it to a friend and it's still working great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post

For a racing application, I'd still use a torque wrench to get the right torque. It doesn't take that much longer and is way more accurate. Unless you have a pit crew and are going for F1-style fast pit stops... Then it's a different ballgame lol.

I have a Milwaukee 1/2 mid-torque. I can hammer away in setting 1 without torquing past 90 ft-lbs (I use a torque wrench as a the final step). I've become an inpatient rebel though and tighten with setting 2 now... Just don't hammer it for long, and it will still be under 90 ft-lbs.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:39 PM   #66
rice_classic

I was never planning on replacing the torque wrench for final torque - unless the circumstances necessitated it. However I wanted to zip on my lugs with my big impact without worrying about over-torque and without the need the use a 3/8ths gun. Always looking to simplify how I do things at the track.

The other scenario is the threat of rain before a race, with a torque stick I could be strapped in the car with it still up on jacks while we wait until the last possible second to put on rains or drys. When you're up against the clock like that, a crew guy with a 90 ft/lb torque stick on a big gun could come in handy. Or during enduros when you have to change a tire(s) in hot pits during a pit stop... SUPER handy in that scenario!