follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
RYU

Drives: really slow...
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Insurance Quotes for USA owners

I did a search and found a thread about Canada insurance rates.

What rates are being quoted for US owners? I remember when I was in the market for an Evo 8 the rates were thru the roof and for other reasons the rates on an NSX for example is much lower.

I'm wondering how the insurance companies are classifying the BRZ and how that affects the rates your being quoted.

Thanks for any input guys!
RYU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
Tbxgz

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Got quoted for ~$1300/12mo. My agent said quotes will be similar to the GC 2.0T

25 yo, in montgomery county maryland, college grad, not married, clean driving record.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
Scooby South
Conedancer

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ SWP
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
BFE Wisc.
added to my current policy..
-no tickets
-multicar

$57 extra a month...VIN in hand
Scooby South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
There is currently one for the FR-S n BRZ just to give you an idea. :happy0180:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ight=insurance
Old 05-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
StarsGarrador
Gangnam Style Guru

Drives: Suzuki GSXF650, WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
$875 a year, 21 year old. Clean record
Old 05-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYU View Post
I did a search and found a thread about Canada insurance rates.

What rates are being quoted for US owners? I remember when I was in the market for an Evo 8 the rates were thru the roof and for other reasons the rates on an NSX for example is much lower.

I'm wondering how the insurance companies are classifying the BRZ and how that affects the rates your being quoted.

Thanks for any input guys!
I work in insurance and had been posting in the insurance threads in the FR-S/BRZ forums. I did a quote for myself (on a new policy, since the loyalty discounts I might already have would skew the numbers), and what I got was $1,171 (off the top of my head, give or take) for a 12-month policy. Again, I'm 28, single male with a college education in Southern California, clean record, full coverage with 100/300/100 limits and $250 comprehensive/$500 collision deductible. I know exactly what you mean about the Evo rates -- I've owned two, currently with an Evo IX SE that I've been enjoying for the past five years or so, minus the rates (compared to practically any other car). It's the lowest that I've found so far for myself through the companies that I have the capability of quoting through.

I've only seen one or two companies that actually had rates for the FR-S, but for the companies that didn't have rates for the FR-S and/or the BRZ, it has to be quoted manually, and the VIN won't help (but you'll still need to supply it if you end up insuring it). It varies from company to company, but if the rates aren't already set, they will be done manually and be based on the cost of the vehicle new (which will also dictate the numerical symbol to be used), the bodystyle (two-door hardtop in this case), the engine specs (cylinder count, displacement, hp) and the level of performance (indicated by a letter after the symbol).

When it's a brand new car, just so I don't get stuck with insuring something that might be ridiculously expensive, I'd steer clear of buying a car right when it comes out. New model years are a different story, those aren't going to change too drastically from the model before it.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeeezNuuuts83 For This Useful Post:
RYU (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
RYU

Drives: really slow...
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
I work in insurance and had been posting in the insurance threads in the FR-S/BRZ forums. I did a quote for myself (on a new policy, since the loyalty discounts I might already have would skew the numbers), and what I got was $1,171 (off the top of my head, give or take) for a 12-month policy. Again, I'm 28, single male with a college education in Southern California, clean record, full coverage with 100/300/100 limits and $250 comprehensive/$500 collision deductible. I know exactly what you mean about the Evo rates -- I've owned two, currently with an Evo IX SE that I've been enjoying for the past five years or so, minus the rates (compared to practically any other car). It's the lowest that I've found so far for myself through the companies that I have the capability of quoting through.

I've only seen one or two companies that actually had rates for the FR-S, but for the companies that didn't have rates for the FR-S and/or the BRZ, it has to be quoted manually, and the VIN won't help (but you'll still need to supply it if you end up insuring it). It varies from company to company, but if the rates aren't already set, they will be done manually and be based on the cost of the vehicle new (which will also dictate the numerical symbol to be used), the bodystyle (two-door hardtop in this case), the engine specs (cylinder count, displacement, hp) and the level of performance (indicated by a letter after the symbol).

When it's a brand new car, just so I don't get stuck with insuring something that might be ridiculously expensive, I'd steer clear of buying a car right when it comes out. New model years are a different story, those aren't going to change too drastically from the model before it.
Very informative! Thanks very much.
RYU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #8
speedracer38

Drives: 2015 CWP Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
I've been getting quotes from Geico for $1,034 / 6 months

This includes 100/300/100, 1k deductible collision, 500 glass. I'm 22 with only 1 or 2 speeding tickets on my record. Time to drop Geico!

Can everyone list what companies you are getting these quotes through?
speedracer38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #9
kensic

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer38 View Post
I've been getting quotes from Geico for $1,034 / 6 months

This includes 100/300/100, 1k deductible collision, 500 glass. I'm 22 with only 1 or 2 speeding tickets on my record. Time to drop Geico!

Can everyone list what companies you are getting these quotes through?
yea that sounds about right, anything under 25 yrs old its expensive seeing u got some tickets too.

Geico quoted for 1100$ for the WHOLE YEAR. I'm 27 clean record.
kensic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #10
speedracer38

Drives: 2015 CWP Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensic View Post
yea that sounds about right, anything under 25 yrs old its expensive seeing u got some tickets too.

I pay about $900 / 6months for a 2008 GTI right now so it's not a huge difference I just thought it would be a bit lower. I wish insurance companies actually take into consideration or give some discount if you have done any advanced driving schools like Skip Barber. Unfortunately Skip Barber doesn't qualify
speedracer38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #11
Oriental Life

Drives: Forester 2007, BRZ Limited '13
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer38 View Post
I wish insurance companies actually take into consideration or give some discount if you have done any advanced driving schools like Skip Barber. Unfortunately Skip Barber doesn't qualify
Actually, people right after those schools have a tendency for accidents at a higher rate. Stats form my work

I'm not saying its always the case, but for some it is. Go figure.
Oriental Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #12
DeepHunta

Drives: '05 Outback Wgn, '05 Lotus Elise
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensic View Post

Whole YEAR! Lucky. I think they quoted me just over $1200 for 6 months (27, clean record too), but that's because I'm adding to my existing car. So 2 to be insured cars. Mind you, both Subies

One awd, and one soon to be rwd...mmmm rwd! I want some oversteer fun!
DeepHunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #13
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriental Life View Post
Actually, people right after those schools have a tendency for accidents at a higher rate. Stats form my work

I'm not saying its always the case, but for some it is. Go figure.
Exactly. While I don't doubt Skip Barber training likely helps with your reflexes, the reality of the matter is that while it might help your ability to avoid accidents, it is still technically a racing school, not a defensive driver school, hence why there are no discounts available for that. The reason for that is because that kind of school is for people who are interested in driving fast and harnessing their abilities to push themselves further. That's not to downplay other skills that you might pick up that will benefit you as a defensive driver, but again, that's not the primary purpose.

Similarly, you can make a case for my car. I have an Evo, and it's gotten me out of sticky situations PLENTY of times where I may not have been so lucky in another car in that same instance. My car, and others like it, has pretty good hardware -- Brembo brakes can make the car safer since it can kill speed and stop in much shorter distances, the stock sportier suspension setup helps the car handle better, the AWD system and all of its differentials will help maintain grip better rather than sliding around, etc. But the bottom line is that it's still a performance car, one that people go hooning in, and the statistics support that... hence the crappy rates for my car. And it's not without warrant -- I drive very differently when behind the wheel of my girlfriend's Toyota Corolla.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:43 AM   #14
dookie11

Drives: Girls crazy with his booty
/Thread