follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-01-2012, 08:55 AM   #71
squat12

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 1967 corvette conv
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanzo View Post
Do you use ethanol free gas? I have a feeling people who have access to ethanol free gas has a lot fewer issues with vibrations/rattles because the engine runs smoother so nothing gets vibrate loose from the rough engine.
Every tank from brand new has been filled with 92 octane Chevron, 10% ethanol IIRC, from the same filling station near my house.
squat12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:59 AM   #72
Hanzo

Drives: Waiting for the ND Miata
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squat12 View Post
Every tank from brand new has been filled with 92 octane Chevron, 10% ethanol IIRC, from the same filling station near my house.
Interesting, you are the 1st person I've seen/heard with decent amount of miles that does not have the chrip that uses 10% ethanol gas.
Hanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #73
squat12

Quote:
Interesting, you are the 1st person I've seen/heard with decent amount of miles that does not have the chrip that uses 10% ethanol gas.
I should note that my claim of no chirping is made with me having only monitored the engine noises from the cabin, not with the hood open while the engine is running. I've actually wondered if I do have the noise, and I just haven't been able to hear it, or have heard it and wasn't bothered by it. I have no plans to open the hood and test that condition, I'd rather stay ignorant in this case I think. That is unless I begin hearing that the chirping noise is prelude to some larger mechanical issue.

After hearing people complain about specific transmission/drivetrain noises, I realized that I had heard some of the same types of (muted) sounds coming from my car, but I interpreted them as normal mechanical noises, not sounds to be bothered by and worried about. Perhaps it's an issue of perception.
The Following User Says Thank You to squat12 For This Useful Post:
ngabdala (08-01-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #74
Hanzo

Quote:
I should note that my claim of no chirping is made with me having only monitored the engine noises from the cabin, not with the hood open while the engine is running. I've actually wondered if I do have the noise, and I just haven't been able to hear it, or have heard it and wasn't bothered by it. I have no plans to open the hood and test that condition, I'd rather stay ignorant in this case I think. That is unless I begin hearing that the chirping noise is prelude to some larger mechanical issue.

After hearing people complain about specific transmission/drivetrain noises, I realized that I had heard some of the same types of (muted) sounds coming from my car, but I interpreted them as normal mechanical noises, not sounds to be bothered by and worried about. Perhaps it's an issue of perception.
The chirp will get louder to where you can hear it at a stop light. But with the amount of miles you have you should have gotten to that point. Do you drive your car easy? Meaning under 4K rpm and do not redline the car?
Old 08-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #75
squat12

Quote:
The chirp will get louder to where you can hear it at a stop light. But with the amount of miles you have you should have gotten to that point. Do you drive your car easy? Meaning under 4K rpm and do not redline the car?
I generally drive fairly easy, meaning that I don't run the car much over 4K while in town, but usually twice or so a day there is an opportunity to gun it where I'm getting on a highway, and in that case I run the engine up to 6-7K in a couple gears.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:35 AM   #76
Hanzo

Quote:
I generally drive fairly easy, meaning that I don't run the car much over 4K while in town, but usually twice or so a day there is an opportunity to gun it where I'm getting on a highway, and in that case I usually run the engine up to 6-7K in a couple gears.
Well, keep us posted if you hear anything.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #77
WRXGuy1

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Do you use ethanol free gas? I have a feeling people who have access to ethanol free gas has a lot fewer issues with vibrations/rattles because the engine runs smoother so nothing gets vibrate loose from the rough engine.
Seems to me that most of the vibrations are causing from normal road vibrations, and not so much from the engine. At least in my case 99% of the rattles are coming from the rear.

WRXGuy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #78
Hanzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXGuy1 View Post
Seems to me that most of the vibrations are causing from normal road vibrations, and not so much from the engine. At least in my case 99% of the rattles are coming from the rear.
Mine seems to have lots of vibration from the engine/transmission area in higher rpms. Not sure if it's got something to do with the 10% ethanol gas or just how the FA engine is at high rpms.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #79
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Garage
I made a thread for the clicking/ticking noise coming from the rear, which actually is from the rear deck.

* Rear Deck Noise *

Note: This is not the 3rd brake light housing rattling noise.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #80
Chauntalei

Drives: Non-BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Ethanol free gas? Lucky you...
I'm in the Bay Area, so I do have ethanol I believe. I just haven't heard anything other than the occasional speaker rattle when I crank the tunes. I'm closing in on 3k miles, and I followed 1k mile break in, but after that I have taken it up to redline numerous times.
Chauntalei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #81
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Garage
People who don't hear any weird noises could be just because they have their stereo on? Maybe you'll start hearing noises when you drive with no music. I hardly have my musics on when I drive.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #82
Chauntalei

Drives: Non-BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigh-on-Rice View Post
People who don't hear any weird noises could be just because they have their stereo on? Maybe you'll start hearing noises when you drive with no music. I hardly have my musics on when I drive.
Stereo off the majority of the time. I've seen the idle issue, I've had issues with Bluetooth in the stereo, but I've had no odd noises or rattles or anything. It's possible they're happening during the short times I have the radio on, but I might just be lucky.
Chauntalei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #83
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauntalei View Post
Stereo off the majority of the time. I've seen the idle issue, I've had issues with Bluetooth in the stereo, but I've had no odd noises or rattles or anything. It's possible they're happening during the short times I have the radio on, but I might just be lucky.
I see. You're the lucky one.
On a good time, my noise free ride is about 5 minutes.
I don't really mind the rattles. Most of the cars have some type of those noises. I just can't stand the ticking/clicking noise from the rear.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #84
brzmass12

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited MT
Quote:
I have a feeling what you are hearing is the tweet sound from the AC compressor kicking in. Next time turn off and on you AC when you are driving and see if it comes on. My AC compressor makes that exact noise you are describing.
You are a freaking genius! I shut the A/C off during my ride home and it was quiet as can be. As soon as I turned the A/C on it kept making the squeak noise.

Now I just have to go to the dealer and see if they can fix it as it can get awfully hot in the northeast in the summer.

Thanks again!!
brzmass12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brzmass12 For This Useful Post:
ngabdala (08-01-2012)