follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-10-2019, 03:13 AM   #15
Keenercarguy
Mountain Runner

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-JeffT View Post
Thanks for posting this. I had some very minor (but annoying) noise when reversing out of parking spots, especially if there was some incline. The bushings looked mostly fine. Only a small gap where the bushing is slotted.
Picture of worn bushing 75K miles

I replaced the bushings and while it's still early the noise/clunk seems to have gone away.

Also, for anyone trying to diagnose the same issue, I had noise when pulling away from a stop. Lastly, the sway bar did not have any up and down play, but I was able to move it horizontally, which the new bushings don't allow.

This would have been a very tricky diagnosis without the above info, thanks.
No problem, glad it helped!
Old 03-21-2021, 03:38 PM   #16
p4R4d0x

Drives: 2016 Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks for posting this. I had some very minor (but annoying) noise when reversing out of parking spots, especially if there was some incline. The bushings looked mostly fine. Only a small gap where the bushing is slotted.
Picture of worn bushing 75K miles

I replaced the bushings and while it's still early the noise/clunk seems to have gone away.

Also, for anyone trying to diagnose the same issue, I had noise when pulling away from a stop. Lastly, the sway bar did not have any up and down play, but I was able to move it horizontally, which the new bushings don't allow.

This would have been a very tricky diagnosis without the above info, thanks.

Edit: Actually it turned out to be the front strut mounts. Found some info on a TSB about it here.

I hate to bump an old thread, but I'm having exactly this issue and this was the first thread I found describing what I've been experiencing (vs bad axle or something similar). I have a Scion - does anyone happen to know if this front strut mount TSB applies to my car or if there's an equivalent Toyota one, or how I would find out? I googled similar.verbiage and Scion / Toyota but didn't pull anything up.

If not I might have to try replacing the sway bushings even though they looked ok to me - this pop is driving me crazy.
p4R4d0x is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to p4R4d0x For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (03-23-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 02:22 AM   #17
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Edit: Actually it turned out to be the front strut mounts. Found some info on a TSB about it here.

Great.. I think I might be having a problem here as well along with contact between the end link and LCA. With it on jacks, I can forcibly move the sway bar side to side as well with an audible click sound that I thought was the endlink to LCA contact on the passenger side.

It going to be difficult to determine whether the sound is coming from the tops. I'm no inspector gadget.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:09 AM   #18
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,233 Times in 2,957 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Whiteline does have OEM sized polyurethane swaybar bushings.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
solidONE (03-23-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 09:18 AM   #19
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post

- Andrew
I installed these a few months ago. I wasn't experiencing any issues, but I did notice the car's response in corner transitions seems more linear (at DD/street speeds).
norcalpb (04-07-2021), Racecomp Engineering (03-23-2021), solidONE (03-23-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 11:30 PM   #20
solidONE

I installed some aftermarket low profile front endlinks (only slightly shorter than OEM at the shortest adjustment), and the the new markings indicating contact to the passenger LCA became even worse than with the OE endlinks. Only at a slightly different location about 1" away from the older markings.

I originally attributed this to the positioning on the LCA after installing the whiteline anti-dive/caster bushing, but now I'm not so sure since it seems like the LCA couldnt have shifted all that much at the rear bushing as it retains the same axis. Could it be due to the lateral movement of the sway bar while turning the steering wheel from my old bushings? Anyone with the popping/clicking sound have similar markings?

Edit2: clicking sound is back. will install the perrin 19mm I have laying around with some urathane bushings. If it doesnt resolve, I'll just have to wait until I can change out the shocks.

Last edited by solidONE; 03-31-2021 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:44 PM   #21
p4R4d0x

Drives: 2016 Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post

- Andrew
Thanks for the heads up! Got some, installed them.

Slight difference in steering, but... click/pop noise didn't stop, I guess it wasn't my crappy dried-out and cracked OEM sway bushings after all...

I guess... CV? I haven't had CV problems before without the car being rolling, so that would be odd to me, but I'm far from an expert.
p4R4d0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:37 AM   #22
solidONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by p4R4d0x View Post
Thanks for the heads up! Got some, installed them.

Slight difference in steering, but... click/pop noise didn't stop, I guess it wasn't my crappy dried-out and cracked OEM sway bushings after all...

I guess... CV? I haven't had CV problems before without the car being rolling, so that would be odd to me, but I'm far from an expert.

As mentioned in earlier posts, possibly this, maybe: https://subaru.oemdtc.com/333/poppin...12-2016-subaru

do you see similar markings from contact on either of the LCA?

Old 04-20-2021, 04:14 PM   #23
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Just wanted to say I had the same problem. Doing track days in the Louisiana sun, the bushings actually melted and looked exactly like that on side the exhaust runs through. No problems on the opposite side. I replaced with Whiteline bushings and it melted again. Replaced a second time and heat wrapped the pipe. They still melt but at a much slower rate now!
B T is offline   Reply With Quote