follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 02-13-2018, 07:49 AM   #351
tehShirt

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
@johan After you try @Drambeenie's suggestion, you could also use a pick to pull the green clip back flush with the trunk. Mine required this little extra nudge.
tehShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tehShirt For This Useful Post:
johan (02-13-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 03:26 AM   #352
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Okay, so... with a good amount of assistance from a couple friends we were able to finish the install.

I'm going to be writing a review, probably on the weekend, but there are a few tricky parts to the install that I haven't seen mentioned yet.

It took the three of us two hours due to those problematic bits.

I would say the worst was the alignment of the two risers and spoiler so they'd go back in the trunk holes. The left side holes (or one of them) are/is slightly different from the right side, which made aligning the risers a bit more difficult. We tried probably 5 different variations where we attached the risers to the spoiler first, and each time the bolts wouldn't line up on either the left or right side's holes. Unfortunately we had already removed the red side of the tape and had to kind of re-stick it so that we could re-adjust the alignment. What we ended up doing was removing the risers from the wing and lightly bolting them to the trunk first so ensure they were in position to tighten properly with the holes, and then we bolted on the spoiler from there, then we removed the whole spoiler + risers in order to re-remove the red tape and properly bolt everything in.

So far after one quick 3.5 mile or so drive on the freeway I haven't had any issues or rattling (well, I heard some rattling from the trunk but I think that was just my tools and bottle of quick detailer). I'm going to take that stuff out tomorrow and test on the way to and from work.

Anyway, as mentioned before, I'll write up a more thorough review later including what I think of the components, quality, instructions, etc.

But thanks so far @Drambeenie! Looks great!

One picture:

spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
Drambeenie (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 12:58 PM   #353
spike021

Photos from a bunch of angles in sunlight. I can try to get more later for paint-match checking; I was a bit late to work already this morning lol so I just did functional photos first rather than nitty gritty aesthetic photos

Photos: https://imgur.com/a/TeYnT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
Brink (02-14-2018), jmark (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 02:57 AM   #354
johan

Drives: '14 981CS, '99 NB1
Thanked 1,201 Times in 631 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
I would say the worst was the alignment of the two risers and spoiler so they'd go back in the trunk holes. The left side holes (or one of them) are/is slightly different from the right side, which made aligning the risers a bit more difficult. We tried probably 5 different variations where we attached the risers to the spoiler first, and each time the bolts wouldn't line up on either the left or right side's holes. Unfortunately we had already removed the red side of the tape and had to kind of re-stick it so that we could re-adjust the alignment. What we ended up doing was removing the risers from the wing and lightly bolting them to the trunk first so ensure they were in position to tighten properly with the holes, and then we bolted on the spoiler from there, then we removed the whole spoiler + risers in order to re-remove the red tape and properly bolt everything in.
The trick here is to make sure you barely screw in the 4 bolts that hold the spoiler to the risers. The risers should be on there pretty floppy. You then test fit it to the trunk without pulling the tape - set one side in, rock the spoiler to one side to get the other side in... make sure everything lines up... Then, lift a side, pull tape, set down, lift the other side, pull tape, set down. Snug up the bolts on top (not beast mode, just remove the slop), then lift the trunk while holding the spoiler in place and start the nuts that hold the risers to the trunk.

Somewhere in there you have to get those green clips to engage. I still haven't gone back in there to try and fix that.

I will say that after 2 days with the extra air getting under the spoiler and my increase in AOA over stock, my butt dyno is finding the car more stable while performing "evasive maneuvers".
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to johan For This Useful Post:
spike021 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 03:01 AM   #355
johan

Also, it was brought to my attention that my avatar is now out of date. I'll need to remedy that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johan For This Useful Post:
Drambeenie (02-15-2018), spike021 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 08:48 AM   #356
Drambeenie

Drives: Black 17 BRZ LT MT PP
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johan View Post
Somewhere in there you have to get those green clips to engage. I still haven't gone back in there to try and fix that.
When you put the green clips back into risers, before you put it on the trunk, how well did the green clips fit in?

Quote:
I will say that after 2 days with the extra air getting under the spoiler and my increase in AOA over stock, my butt dyno is finding the car more stable while performing "evasive maneuvers".
Awesome. Easy life hack!
Drambeenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:57 PM   #357
spike021

Quote:
The trick here is to make sure you barely screw in the 4 bolts that hold the spoiler to the risers. The risers should be on there pretty floppy. You then test fit it to the trunk without pulling the tape - set one side in, rock the spoiler to one side to get the other side in... make sure everything lines up... Then, lift a side, pull tape, set down, lift the other side, pull tape, set down. Snug up the bolts on top (not beast mode, just remove the slop), then lift the trunk while holding the spoiler in place and start the nuts that hold the risers to the trunk.

Ahh, welp. That's a great process for that step of the install. I think we managed to make it work well enough anyway, but this would've been a good alternative and probably the best way to do it if we hadn't started already, lol.

I think we got the green clips seated ok but not perfect. So I might still go and try to adjust them if needed. But everything feels really sturdy, and I've driven on the freeway/curvy on/off-ramps so far without issues or rattle so I think it's good to go.

@Drambeenie maybe it'd be worth mentioning this process in new instructions if you need to print more, or just as a message/email to people who are still receiving their risers? (shrug)
Old 02-15-2018, 01:57 PM   #358
johan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drambeenie View Post
When you put the green clips back into risers, before you put it on the trunk, how well did the green clips fit in?
I never removed them.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:03 PM   #359
johan

Come to think of it... I'll bet the correct process would be to:

- Remove green clips from riser
- Install clips in trunk
- Prep riser/spoiler/3m/etc
- Push risers/spoiler onto green clips
- Finish install

That would work and would be relatively easy. The design of the green clip on the "riser" side is such that if it engages at all, it's going to go all the way, whereas the trunk side of the clip is more finicky.

It's too late for me though, since the tape is already stuck to the trunk.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johan For This Useful Post:
Drambeenie (02-15-2018), spike021 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 02:30 PM   #360
spike021

Quote:

- Install clips in trunk
- Finish install

That would work and would be relatively easy. The design of the green clip on the "riser" side is such that if it engages at all, it's going to go all the way, whereas the trunk side of the clip is more finicky.

Yeah, agreed. That would be a good method of doing those steps for sure.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
Drambeenie (02-15-2018), johan (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 02:36 PM   #361
Drambeenie

Drives: Black 17 BRZ LT MT PP
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:

- Install clips in trunk
- Finish install

Also agreed. I think this is the right approach. I'll update the instructions for the next orders. I can mail you another set of VHB tape for $2 if you're interested in redoing it.
Drambeenie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drambeenie For This Useful Post:
spike021 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 02:58 PM   #362
spike021

Something I’ll mention as well that I hadn’t before. I don’t know exactly what kind of treatment was done on the risers after painting, but I ended up putting 3 or 4 coats of light wax on them the night before the install. Not a requirement by any means but just an added nice thing to do if you care about that kinda stuff.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:25 PM   #363
johan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drambeenie View Post
Also agreed. I think this is the right approach. I'll update the instructions for the next orders. I can mail you another set of VHB tape for $2 if you're interested in redoing it.
If I can't get these clips in with a pick, I will take you up on that offer.
Drambeenie (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 03:25 PM   #364
johan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
Something I’ll mention as well that I hadn’t before. I don’t know exactly what kind of treatment was done on the risers after painting, but I ended up putting 3 or 4 coats of light wax on them the night before the install. Not a requirement by any means but just an added nice thing to do if you care about that kinda stuff.
Everyone should do this, they definitely should be waxed.
spike021 (02-15-2018)

Tags
removal, spoiler, trunk, wing