follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List
Koji_Online

Old 07-12-2017, 03:39 PM   #673
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBezugs View Post
Going to be tackling this tonight with my 2017 BRZ. After a couple of years and many people who have done the adjustment, what's the consensus on the best spot to place the clutch pedal?

From what I've read contrary to the original post, a few mm above the brake pedal is best?
It's going to be based on personal preference. Mine is slightly below the brake pedal. Try it out with both configurations and see which one feels best for you.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:46 PM   #674
Koji_Online
N7 Spectre

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 (Ablaze - 6MT)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8RZ View Post
It's going to be based on personal preference. Mine is slightly below the brake pedal. Try it out with both configurations and see which one feels best for you.
Correct! After reading most comments, I agree that the final point comes down to personal preference; the guides purpose is meant to enable drivers with the option to adjust the ridiculously high stock grab point xD

As a follow-up! I recently swapped into a 2017 86; while all upgrades & refinements through the whole car are excellent, the clutch grab remained the same Lol. I've adjusted to about equal height this time.

I ended up going as low as possible without causing any release issues, then brought the pedal back up until I could smooth out the quick release action for daily driving; now it feels perfect even during spirited driving!

Koji_Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:34 PM   #675
Jasonb

Drives: 17 Series Yellow BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I turned the rod about a full turn, that's about it. Then set the clutch switch to the proper adjustment as well. Much better not. Drove it for another 20 minutes or so tonight and I like where the friction zone is much better now. Making for much smoother shifts.
Jasonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:53 PM   #676
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Drives: Green '17 BRZ Sport-Tech MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Following up:

Holy shit, this is game changing. Ended up adjusting the clutch pedal to be about 2mm proud of the brake pedal location, and oh my God, the car should have come like this from the factory.

Standing starts, launching, Heel and toe and just shifting overall is so much more intuitive than with the high bite point from the factory.

If you have a BRZ/FRS/86 and you haven't done this yet, you owe it to yourself to adjust that clutch.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:45 AM   #677
Summit

Drives: 2017 Ablaze 86 (6MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBezugs View Post
Following up:

Holy shit, this is game changing. Ended up adjusting the clutch pedal to be about 2mm proud of the brake pedal location, and oh my God, the car should have come like this from the factory.

Standing starts, launching, Heel and toe and just shifting overall is so much more intuitive than with the high bite point from the factory.

If you have a BRZ/FRS/86 and you haven't done this yet, you owe it to yourself to adjust that clutch.
Looking at this post makes me wonder what is a better modification to do. Clutch spring removal or clutch pedal adjustment. I know both can be done together, but I only have an issue with the clutch grab height... I think. I haven't felt a clutch without the return spring though.

I'm worried to tackle this on my own, any reputable shops in Northern California that would do this for me/help me do it?
Summit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:47 AM   #678
Summit

Drives: 2017 Ablaze 86 (6MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji_Online View Post
Correct! After reading most comments, I agree that the final point comes down to personal preference; the guides purpose is meant to enable drivers with the option to adjust the ridiculously high stock grab point xD

As a follow-up! I recently swapped into a 2017 86; while all upgrades & refinements through the whole car are excellent, the clutch grab remained the same Lol. I've adjusted to about equal height this time.

I ended up going as low as possible without causing any release issues, then brought the pedal back up until I could smooth out the quick release action for daily driving; now it feels perfect even during spirited driving!
Did you happen to remove the clutch return spring as well?
Summit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:18 AM   #679
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Drives: Green '17 BRZ Sport-Tech MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit View Post

All I did was adjust the clutch. It's really easy to adjust it yourself by the way! A bit awkward at first because your under the footwell, but once you get acclimated to where everything is it's super straight forward. The video in the OP may help you as well.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:59 PM   #680
Koji_Online
N7 Spectre

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 (Ablaze - 6MT)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit View Post
Noep, just the adjustment xD
I feel the pedal pressure is fine enough to get used to, once the height is adjusted correctly

Koji_Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:10 PM   #681
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Remove the spring and it'll be easier to get used to.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8RZ For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (08-15-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 07:41 PM   #682
Pho20

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Just did it thank you for the excellent writeup op I wanted to share my impressions while it's fresh in my head

I started it yesterday and got frustrated because the rod wouldn't move and I am too fat to actuate the clutch pedal at the same time lol so today I had the wife kinda crouch on top of me and push the clutch while I spun the rod it took maybe 30 seconds the whole job if I was a younger skinny guy would have been under 5min start to finish

Initial driving impressions I like it hill starts are going to be way easier and shifting is way faster the only downside is the pedal is really light now I'm gonna drive it for a while to see if I like it if not I'll do the spring mod I just don't want a really heavy pedal and I've read it would be a pita to put the spring back
Pho20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:41 AM   #683
jcw99

Drives: swp mt '14 brz premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
A number of members have said that it's easier to put the spring back in than it is to take it out. If you do take it out and decide to re-install the spring, MTEC makes a spring that may give you the right amount of firmness. Good luck!
jcw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:54 PM   #684
sato

Drives: Dodge Patitas
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw99 View Post
A number of members have said that it's easier to put the spring back in than it is to take it out. If you do take it out and decide to re-install the spring, MTEC makes a spring that may give you the right amount of firmness. Good luck!
If using multiple zip ties to keep spring compressed while lining it up, then cutting them out afterwards is easy, yes. Otherwise, no. Still, had no issues taking it out.

Lost E-clip once too, only to find it stuck to my flashlight's magnet a week after I bought another one. Just put everything you take out in a small ziplock bag.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
sato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:56 PM   #685
Pho20

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
I'm leaving the spring in I got used to the clutch

So far (1000mi) I'm loving the adjustment I have it even with the brake and may move it down just a touch
Pho20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:18 AM   #686
86MT

Drives: '17 Hot Lava 86
I've just done the clutch adjustment. I know I like the grab point because I tested launches with no throttle input (just easing off the clutch to get moving).

Idk if it's all mental but... My mind isn't adjusting to the new grab point once I'm actually driving. Now I'm messing around withe seat height, how far back it is, and what angle the back rest is...

I've only done about 400 miles since I've adjusted the clutch. 300-350 of those miles are highway (6th gear cruising). Should I just spend some time practicing in a parking lot again? I feel silly, but my shifts are either jerky or I'm slipping the clutch too much and I hear the revs on the engine get high then die down and launch me forward once I let the clutch all the way out.

I think I'm overthinking it and just need to spend some time practicing on it. I've done about 50-100 miles actually shifting the gearbox and over the course of 2 weeks... Hardly got to drive the 86 recently.

Also, it's worth noting that my clutch return spring is still in the car. I want to leave it in because I commute in traffic on some days and I want to have a light clutch. I just need to get muscle memory down for where the grab point is and how much time to spend on my clutch throws.
86MT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch adjustment, clutch helper spring