follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 10-28-2021, 09:53 PM   #1
Irock

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bazooka Bass tube install

There is 0 bass with the stock audio system and I'm just looking for a little bit more kick. I do autox so I want something removeable as well and landed on the Bazooka bass tube. How are these to install? I've never done it before so I was wondering how difficult it is.
Irock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:11 PM   #2
alphasaur
friendly

Drives: 17' 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irock View Post
There is 0 bass with the stock audio system and I'm just looking for a little bit more kick. I do autox so I want something removeable as well and landed on the Bazooka bass tube. How are these to install? I've never done it before so I was wondering how difficult it is.
You will need an amp. I would suggest replacing the amp and replacing door speakers (I'm running polk DBs and they're great) and you will get a good bit more bass.

You can also add a sub if you want, I currently have a basser box so it's small and you can get it mounted so it uses knobs and then use something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Scosche-Compa...771218660&th=1
Irock (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 10:37 PM   #3
Irock

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasaur View Post
You will need an amp. I would suggest replacing the amp and replacing door speakers (I'm running polk DBs and they're great) and you will get a good bit more bass.

You can also add a sub if you want, I currently have a basser box so it's small and you can get it mounted so it uses knobs and then use something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Scosche-Compa...771218660&th=1
The bass tube I was looking at had the amp built in.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:58 PM   #4
alphasaur
friendly

Quote:
The bass tube I was looking at had the amp built in.
Oh okay, are you stock head unit? If aftermarket just run RCA to it and then you'd need to run power from battery (with an inline fuse) and then ground to somewhere in trunk.
Irock (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 11:09 PM   #5
Irock

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasaur View Post
Oh okay, are you stock head unit? If aftermarket just run RCA to it and then you'd need to run power from battery (with an inline fuse) and then ground to somewhere in trunk.
Yeah I'm on stock head unit. I was wondering if the stock head unit would still need an RCA or if I would just plug the sub into the head unit? Through watching some videos I think I got the power and ground figured out the RCA is really the only thing I'm not understanding.
The Following User Says Thank You to Irock For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 11:14 PM   #6
alphasaur
friendly

Quote:
Yeah I'm on stock head unit. I was wondering if the stock head unit would still need an RCA or if I would just plug the sub into the head unit? Through watching some videos I think I got the power and ground figured out the RCA is really the only thing I'm not understanding.
Not sure if the stock headunit has an rca out for a sub, someone else will have to comment.
Irock (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 11:52 PM   #7
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
i ran a free one, i think it's a 6" model, for a while in a home theater setup. they provide a decent amount of bass. not earth shattering, but a much better option than any of those 'low profile underseat' subs.

they're pretty straight forward to install. everything connects with a single connector on the back of them, so a little nicer/easier to unplug when not needed as well. and the mounting kit really just uses 2 bolts to secure it down once you have the main mounting pads installed, which would make it extremely easy to remove as needed.

low power enough, you could likely run it off the factory amplifier harness in the trunk(honestly best to run your own power and ground, but for a quick-n-dirty install, the 100watt version would likely be trouble-free off the oem amp wiring), and the harness next to that would provide the high level audio signal, as well as the remote turn-on signal.

i would highly recommend building your own plug-in adapter harness using something like the metra 70-1761, and 71-1761-- connecting those 2 harnesses wire-for-wire, and then cutting up the wires between them that you'd need would allow for a 100% plug-n-play, reversible connection.

unfortunately, tapping into the oem amp power isn't as plug-n-play, but could be done.
Irock (10-29-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 03:23 PM   #8
RickyBobby

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I installed this one ~5 1/2 years ago: https://www.amazon.com/Bazooka-BTA81...03E4K7HU&psc=1

Here's my DIY thread: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...hlight=bazooka

Still works great, good bass, and can be removed easily to access my spare tire.

I also purchased the remote control from ebay for $10. new last year but have not installed it yet: https://www.amazon.com/Bazooka-RBCM-.../dp/B001JT33RI
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote