follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 08-25-2016, 11:19 PM   #1
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Looking for street/track tires for next year.

I know the right answer is to keep a separate set of wheels for track and autocross and a separate set for daily driving but that won't be feasible next year due to budgetary concerns so I'm looking for a good tire to run next year. I've got a set of 17x8's that I'll be using so I'll need something in a 225-245 sizing so keep that in mind.

Anyways, the car has stock power but upgraded brakes and suspension and -2.2f/-1.7r camber. I expect to do around 5000km/3100miles of daily driving during the season and I also expect to attend 2-3 track days and 4-6 autocross events.

While I'd love to run RE71r, I'm of the impression that they won't last long enough so I was looking at RS3 instead but I'm still not sure they'll get me through a season so I was wondering what other peoples experiences have been with these tires. Or am I barking up the wrong tree and I should be looking at something more pedestrian like PSS instead?

Just looking for some input.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:42 PM   #2
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
PSS, lol. Nah bro.
Both are great tires. It really comes down to which one is on sale. Far superior to PSS any day.
If all they would see is track days and what nots, you'll get 3 seasons out of them. Then depends how drifter you get. But I don't see why those shouldn't last 2 good seasons.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
Lynxis (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 11:57 PM   #3
Lynxis

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
PSS, lol. Nah bro.
Both are great tires. It really comes down to which one is on sale. Far superior to PSS any day.
If all they would see is track days and what nots, you'll get 3 seasons out of them. Then depends how drifter you get. But I don't see why those shouldn't last 2 good seasons.
They will see all of my daily driving as well which I expect to be at least 3000 miles but probably not too much more. The wear from daily driving is what I'm not sure about.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:08 AM   #4
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Considered BFG Rival (non-S)?

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Lynxis (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 01:20 AM   #5
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
They will see all of my daily driving as well which I expect to be at least 3000 miles but probably not too much more. The wear from daily driving is what I'm not sure about.
3000 miles year? You call that daily driving? If that's the case you only drive the car only in the summer right? If it's true and not bs I don't see a problem with those tires doing that. They may last for one season.

I do 3k miles in 3 months daily driving on a 60 mile round trip commute.

I would still save up for a second set of track wheels. Saves you lots of money in the long run.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
8R6 (08-26-2016), Lynxis (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 01:34 AM   #6
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Having a single tire for everything will be a compromise. Depends also how you drive on the street. If you drive conservative, then you might be OK with a stickier tire. If not, then you take more risk and a PSS tire is a better option. It also depends if you have a changed suspension.

Those thinking that a stickier tire is always better on the street, have a look on the following video:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9kQrbPEXKU"]Tim Schrick and Sven Kueenle "enjoying the limits" - YouTube[/ame]
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
churchx (08-26-2016), Icecreamtruk (08-26-2016), Lynxis (08-26-2016), new2subaru (10-23-2018)
Old 08-26-2016, 08:13 AM   #7
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I was in this same predicament, went with the ZII* because they got great reviews for grip/life on track, and were said to be one of the best UHP summer tires in the wet, which was important to me since I'd be dd'ing them through the stormy season too.

I've got three track days, two autox events, and probably about 8,000-10,000 miles of daily driving on them, still plenty of life left.

They even handled a snowy track day surprisingly well! haha
kravi (09-20-2016), Lynxis (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 09:20 AM   #8
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Anyways, the car has stock power but upgraded brakes and suspension and -2.2f/-1.7r camber. I expect to do around 5000km/3100miles of daily driving during the season and I also expect to attend 2-3 track days and 4-6 autocross events.
My alignment specs are about the same as yours and I am running Yokohama V105 Sports this year.

I track, but no autocross.

The V105 are asymmetric so you can corner rotate them which really helps with the life. I'd have to check the odometer, but I think I already have over 5000 km on them since May which includes a few track sessions.

Quite pleased with the overall performance of them so far.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jvincent For This Useful Post:
Lynxis (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 11:50 AM   #9
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I know the right answer is to keep a separate set of wheels for track and autocross and a separate set for daily driving but that won't be feasible next year due to budgetary concerns so I'm looking for a good tire to run next year. I've got a set of 17x8's that I'll be using so I'll need something in a 225-245 sizing so keep that in mind.

While I'd love to run RE71r, I'm of the impression that they won't last long enough so I was looking at RS3 instead but I'm still not sure they'll get me through a season so I was wondering what other peoples experiences have been with these tires. Or am I barking up the wrong tree and I should be looking at something more pedestrian like PSS instead?

Just looking for some input.
You'll have no issues getting a summer out of RS3's. I had mine mounted in September 2014 and replaced in September 2015, so basically a full summer of driving on them plus about a dozen track days and a couple auto x's. The last two track days on them were at Calabogie on hot days, which just chews up tires too. I also drive A LOT more than 5000km's in a summer, probably more like 10-12000km's.

My camber is -2.2F / -2.5R (no camber adjustment in the rear, ideally it would be less) and toe is 0F / 1/16"R.

Don't squish a 245 onto an 8" wheel with the RS3's, they're a bit softer in the sidewall and will feel better with a 225.

You could probably get a full summer out of RE71R's, but they'll overheat pretty quick on a track so probably aren't your best bet. They'll be good for 2-3 hot laps, then fall off. Great for time attack, not so great for general lapping.

I had Dunlop ZII's, and wanted the ZII SS, but the RS3's were like $400 cheaper for the same size.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Lynxis (08-26-2016), Shark_Bait88 (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 12:51 PM   #10
Lynxis

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Considered BFG Rival (non-S)?
I've actually got a set of these sitting on what will be my summer rims next year. I've driven on track with them and I found grip was inconsistent so I'm not interested in running them again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
3000 miles year? You call that daily driving? If that's the case you only drive the car only in the summer right? If it's true and not bs I don't see a problem with those tires doing that. They may last for one season.

I do 3k miles in 3 months daily driving on a 60 mile round trip commute.

I would still save up for a second set of track wheels. Saves you lots of money in the long run.
3000 miles is for the season then I switch to winter tires for the rest of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
You'll have no issues getting a summer out of RS3's. I had mine mounted in September 2014 and replaced in September 2015, so basically a full summer of driving on them plus about a dozen track days and a couple auto x's. The last two track days on them were at Calabogie on hot days, which just chews up tires too. I also drive A LOT more than 5000km's in a summer, probably more like 10-12000km's.

My camber is -2.2F / -2.5R (no camber adjustment in the rear, ideally it would be less) and toe is 0F / 1/16"R.

Don't squish a 245 onto an 8" wheel with the RS3's, they're a bit softer in the sidewall and will feel better with a 225.

You could probably get a full summer out of RE71R's, but they'll overheat pretty quick on a track so probably aren't your best bet. They'll be good for 2-3 hot laps, then fall off. Great for time attack, not so great for general lapping.

I had Dunlop ZII's, and wanted the ZII SS, but the RS3's were like $400 cheaper for the same size.
It sounds like RS3 should be fine so I'll probably go that route. I'd consider the Z2SS but they are really expensive so probably not. Thanks everyone for your input!
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynxis For This Useful Post:
wparsons (08-28-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 01:30 PM   #11
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
I've actually got a set of these sitting on what will be my summer rims next year. I've driven on track with them and I found grip was inconsistent so I'm not interested in running them again.
Very interesting. I mentioned them bc they're my current track tires and the tire wear has been surprisingly good (for the category) in my experience, coming from Nitto NT05's. Haven't felt the grip level to be inconsistent, but I could see why you'd want different tires.

As wparsons mentioned, I think you'd be fine on RS3's. I tried those on track and liked the grip when hot. They got slightly greasy halfway through each 25 minute session, but that was on a 3400+ lbs, 340 whp car so probably wouldn't have that issue on an Twin (as long as you aren't overdriving it haha).

Let us know how you like them. I've actually got a set of RS3's on my backup track wheels, just haven't had a reason to use them yet.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Lynxis (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 04:54 PM   #12
Lynxis

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Very interesting. I mentioned them bc they're my current track tires and the tire wear has been surprisingly good (for the category) in my experience, coming from Nitto NT05's. Haven't felt the grip level to be inconsistent, but I could see why you'd want different tires.

As wparsons mentioned, I think you'd be fine on RS3's. I tried those on track and liked the grip when hot. They got slightly greasy halfway through each 25 minute session, but that was on a 3400+ lbs, 340 whp car so probably wouldn't have that issue on an Twin (as long as you aren't overdriving it haha).

Let us know how you like them. I've actually got a set of RS3's on my backup track wheels, just haven't had a reason to use them yet.
I agree they wear well for what they are. I had an open track day on them where I probably spent 5+hours on a track that is known to eat tires, hitting it hard and I only used up 2/32 worth of tread. For comparison, a friend of mine at that event was driving on new RE71rs and completely wore through his fronts that day. Still, I'd like to try something a bit better and more consistent this time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynxis For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 05:17 PM   #13
Toyarzee
Shibby!

Drives: '14 White FR-S, '01 turbo mini taco
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I'm daily'ing NT01's and have been for the last 4k miles and 3 track days. After gauging how quickly I thought they would wear vs. actual, ill probably continue this practice. I do about 6k miles per year combined track and commuting. They are stellar on the track obviously, and here in SoCal I dont see much rain lol
Toyarzee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toyarzee For This Useful Post:
Lynxis (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 09:42 PM   #14
Lynxis

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyarzee View Post
I'm daily'ing NT01's and have been for the last 4k miles and 3 track days. After gauging how quickly I thought they would wear vs. actual, ill probably continue this practice. I do about 6k miles per year combined track and commuting. They are stellar on the track obviously, and here in SoCal I dont see much rain lol
We usually get a lot of rain here. Like last year, it was raining every 3rd day on average. This year has been unusually dry but I don't think I could trust the weather to be appropriate for daily driving on NT01s.