follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 08-19-2018, 06:13 PM   #71
tehShirt

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazenrain View Post
Has anyone been successful connecting the steering wheel controls on a 2017+ Toyota 86? I have an 860 Special Edition and Crutchfield recommends this expensive interface. I'm wondering if it's necessary.

I used the Metra ASWC-1 on my 2017 BRZ. Purchased a wiring harness from Autoharnesshouse.com, wired in the Metra unit, performed the setup and remapped a few buttons.
tehShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:29 PM   #72
Trueweltall

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rendyr View Post
I got my unit installed (JY-TL123N2). Best Buy did it for me because I just wanted it done, but it was nice, they only charged me $99 for it, which is not bad. Backup camera works, GPS works (mounted in dash behind unit), microphone is great (mounted above rearview mirror), steering wheel controls work, everything works. Looks really nice in my 86 Special Edition!

Is that CD player functional?
Trueweltall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:31 PM   #73
Horrid_Funk

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueweltall View Post
Is that CD player functional?
I have that same model and no it's not. Idk if they even offer this one with a working CD player, I didn't see one when I purchased mine. The CD slot is actually walled off with a clear plastic, you can see it reflecting light in those pictures just inside the slot.
Horrid_Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:43 PM   #74
JeremyR

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrid_Funk View Post
I have that same model and no it's not. Idk if they even offer this one with a working CD player, I didn't see one when I purchased mine. The CD slot is actually walled off with a clear plastic, you can see it reflecting light in those pictures just inside the slot.
The plastic bothered me because it had a scratch on it. I removed it. Now its just a dark slot. Sometimes the light hits it and I can see inside, but that doesn't bother me as much.

REALMS BRZ Build Thread
HKS|Parts Shop MAX|Battle Version|ADVAN|Beatrush
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:28 AM   #75
itsAlex

Drives: 2016 4Runner / 2016 FR-S
Garage
No reverse camera

I used the SUB28SWC-6V for my head unit install and there's no signal from the reverse camera. The SUB28SWC works, it sends a reverse signal to the head unit and the 6V converter also works, but there's no video signal when the head unit triggers the reverse camera input.

I suspect this has to do with the fact that my car is a Scion FR-S and not a BRZ. There was another harness that was plugged into the stock head unit that is not currently in use with my aftermarket head unit. It looks like the Toyota 20-pin harness and it only has 3 to 4 wires going into it off to one side of the harness. I believe I need something like the AX-TOYCAM3 to get the video signal from my camera...
Old 09-08-2018, 01:56 PM   #76
Akuma147

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The 6V converter has 2 different color wires coming out of it. One should be the 6v side and the other should be 12V. Maybe switch the wires the other way. Also make sure the yellow RCA cables are connected tightly and not loose. I wrapped the connected ends with electrical tape to make sure they don't disconnect during driving. The Toyota 20 pin connector with 3-4 wires sounds like it's for steering wheel control. The joying harness also had a 20pin connector, but in my guide I discarded it, so that might be it.
Akuma147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:38 AM   #77
itsAlex

Drives: 2016 4Runner / 2016 FR-S
Garage
Got the camera working

A little update from my previous post:

The extra connector in my FR-S that I was talking about is not a 20-pin connector, its a 24-pin connector. It looks exactly like the one in the picture:

This harness in my car has 4 wires going to it. I referenced this diagram to get my camera working:

It's the connector labeled "F72" viewed from the front of the harness, wires leading out the back. The wire colours are not the same, but the locations of the pins are correct:

Pin 11: Camera +6V
Pin 12: Camera Signal +
Pin 23: Camera Signal Ground
Pin 24: Camera Ground

I followed this and got my reverse camera working on my Pioneer MVH-2400NEX.

I believe all Scions use this connector for the reverse camera connections, whereas Subaru puts the camera connections in the 28-pin harness. I could be wrong though, as I am the only one who can confirm this so far...
Old 01-09-2019, 03:06 PM   #78
Thetal1

Drives: 2017 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsAlex View Post
I believe all Scions use this connector for the reverse camera connections, whereas Subaru puts the camera connections in the 28-pin harness. I could be wrong though, as I am the only one who can confirm this so far...
You're right newer 86s need that adapter not the Subaru one

Late reply I know but I hope it helps someone
Thetal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:46 AM   #79
rastaweezy_brz

Drives: Subaru BRZ tS
Steering Wheel Control BRZ tS

Hey guys im having trouble finding /connecting my the wires for the SWC on the brz tS..

Anyone can help please?
rastaweezy_brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:03 AM   #80
kothetimeless

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Garage
After a year and a half I'm trying this again

Quote:
Originally Posted by kothetimeless View Post
@Akuma147 Sorry for the hundreds of posts but I feel we are so close. This is the product I heard about and I will ask them tomorrow. Do you know much about this? Ground Loop Isolators. The guy in the video had bought two of the first (Metra) one and put them in series to reduce noise in his mic and speakers.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpa...+loop+isolator

Thinking of buying this: https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Ground-.../dp/B01L1NP7YI
Has ANYONE been able to get the OEM mic to function with an aftermarket wire harness??? cc: @Akuma147
kothetimeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:04 AM   #81
kothetimeless

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaweezy_brz View Post
Hey guys im having trouble finding /connecting my the wires for the SWC on the brz tS..

Anyone can help please?
Read this whole thread... its very informative thanks to Akuma!
kothetimeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:35 AM   #82
Akuma147

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kothetimeless View Post
Has ANYONE been able to get the OEM mic to function with an aftermarket wire harness??? cc: @Akuma147
I thought you got it to work, but the quality wasn't very good, with too much static.

I gave up on using a mic connected to the head unit, OEM or aftermarket. I must have bought 4 different mics and nothing worked well. I came to the conclusion that it was the joying unit that was causing the static and bad quality; something about the internal and external mic conflicting with each other. Some people have confirmed this on the xda forums. I ended up just getting a Jabra Freeway Bluetooth Speakerphone, which works pretty well for.

I'm thinking about upgrading the head unit to a different brand that doesn't have the joying mic issue, and 4gb of ram.
Akuma147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:47 AM   #83
mrjj

Drives: GT86 2013
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I just installed a Joying HU using the Joying Toyota harness (pictured in the first post). Now I realized that my rear speakers are "swapped". Left channel sound is coming from right side, and right channel from left side.
I'm not sure if I had this problem before upgrading the head unit, but either Toyota Japan made a cable routing error when building the car, or the Joying harness is wrong.

Could someone using the Joying Toyota harness please verify that the rear speakers are working as expected?
Thank you!
mrjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:14 AM   #84
Pizzachicken

Drives: Asphalt '16 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsAlex View Post
A little update from my previous post:

The extra connector in my FR-S that I was talking about is not a 20-pin connector, its a 24-pin connector. It looks exactly like the one in the picture:

This harness in my car has 4 wires going to it. I referenced this diagram to get my camera working:

It's the connector labeled "F72" viewed from the front of the harness, wires leading out the back. The wire colours are not the same, but the locations of the pins are correct:

Pin 11: Camera +6V
Pin 12: Camera Signal +
Pin 23: Camera Signal Ground
Pin 24: Camera Ground

I followed this and got my reverse camera working on my Pioneer MVH-2400NEX.

I was stumped earlier as I had bought the 28-pin adapter (Metra AXSUB28SWC6V) and I too have an FRS, was following this writeup for the BRZ. Seeming that I theres no use for retaining anything from the 28 pin, I'm planning to repurpose it to plug into the 24-pin. Just making sure with you, there's no cables to connect from the 28 to 24, right? The reverse input would be the red cable on the 24-pin (#2)?

--

Edit: For future reference if anyone finds themselves in my situation, follow Alex's diagrams, where the only extra step is to tap into the reverse signal from the 28-pin connector, wired to your head unit's reverse wire.

Last edited by Pizzachicken; 12-12-2019 at 05:50 AM.
Pizzachicken is offline   Reply With Quote