follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 09-28-2016, 01:12 AM   #57
megaorange

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Limited Manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Sorry, I'm trying to gather up and make this a bit easier, and for anyone else that happens by, by organizing this all into one post.

Wiring Harness

Metra 70-1761 and AX-TOY28SWC can be used, post by Luftwaffel, or AX-SUB28SWC can be used, post by SVXdc.
Both options need modification for the Amp.

Backup Cam

Pre-Built Power converter, linked by Luftwaffel.

Backup Cam Wiring Info

Factory USB

AX-SUBUSB2, post by SVXdc.

Other

Factory 28Pin Pinout

----------------------------------
I'm not sure I got everything and I don't think there was anything for the Aux input.
megaorange is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to megaorange For This Useful Post:
thriller (06-18-2018), ymshulman (07-19-2021)
Old 09-28-2016, 01:04 PM   #58
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Drives: 2016 HyperBlue BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by megaorange View Post
Features may have been the wrong word lol. I wanted to mainly keep stuff like the factory USB, factory backup cam, etc.
USB I haven't tried because the connector is weird and I found the factory USB location sucks anyway, but camera is doable for sure. Like he said just look through the thread.

Edit: Oh, cool. Didn't see the new connector.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:36 AM   #59
Joon525

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by megaorange View Post
IN CASE you don't want to mess with cutting anything for the backup camera you can just buy this. It isn't hard to splice wires but I understand that there are some people who don't like doing it and really want a plug and play option.

As for the USB/aux port...you could try this (I don't know anyone who's tried it yet but it looks like it would work, you could also just email or PM Beatsonic and see what they say).

Edit: I just found this too if you need/want a dust cover (http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLUSH-MOUNT-...xU5aag&vxp=mtr)
Here's a picture of it in another Toyota.

And another one with a dust cover that is more similar to the OEM one here.

This 3.5 mini plug is also of the 4 pole version so a microphone is supported (but I'm not sure that really matters to most people since Bluetooth seems to be the preferred option when it comes to that type of stuff).
3 pole vs 4 pole explained here.

Last edited by Joon525; 09-29-2016 at 08:12 AM.
Joon525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:04 PM   #60
Akuma147

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ Limited
I'm going to attempt to install the Joying 5.1.1 model today. Since the 2017 BRZ has steering wheel controls, him hoping somebody can help me identify which wire it is. I have some suspicion as to which one it is, or maybe I can just disconnect it and see if it works or not.

I'm not sure what wire this is. It's black and blue and attaches to a metal bracket on the OEM Head Unit.
Name:  Unknown Cable.jpg
Views: 2343
Size:  593.5 KB

I'm thinking this is the steering wheel control cable. It's a small pink wire that is taped to the 28pin OEM harness
Name:  Pink WIre.jpg
Views: 1878
Size:  578.0 KB

Here is the actual 28pin harness. Looking at previous posts, pins 21-24 were empty. As you can see here, 21-23 now have wires connected. The pink wire also shows up, along with blue/yellow and light green. I'm thinking the pink is the steering wheel control wire.
Name:  New Pins.jpg
Views: 2335
Size:  229.0 KB

I'll go ahead and test it out, but if anybody has any insight, please feel free to share.
Akuma147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:51 AM   #61
Akuma147

Got everything finally working. Took me a lot of reading in this thread and the Joying thread, but got everything figured out. I like to thank Luftwaffel, Pointmutation, sLoPy, and everyone else in this thread and the Joying thread for all the great information, especially SVXdc for all the detailed information about the harnesses and wiring.

I got the steering wheel controls working, OEM backup camera working, OEM AUX port works, waiting for the USB harness to come in the mail, but that should be an easy plug and play. If anyone needs help with the install for either the 2017 BRZ model or the 2016 BRZ, which is pretty much the same OEM HU, then feel free to ask me.

To anyone attempting this, the only things you need are:

1) Universal Toyota Harness (came with the Joying Android head unit). The 10-pin and 6-pin for the speakers are already wired up and ready to plug and play. It also includes a 20-pin connector that has the 3 wires for the steering wheel control. You can discard the 20-pin connector, but keep the 3 wires if you want to retain steering wheel control (pink-key1, brown-key2, and black-ground)

2) Metra 40-LX11 - For the Radio Antenna

3) AX-SUB28SWC - for the 28-pin connector. This thing is a godsend. Everything is pretty much wired for you already if you want to keep the OEM camera, aux port, and steering wheel controls. You just need to remove the ground wire from pin 14. I didn't use pin 15 for parking brake, and pin 17 for vehicle speed, so I removed those. I took one of those wires and put it in pin 9 for AMP power. The steering wheel controls are in the exact perfect place, pin 21 to 23. The Aux wires were also perfect, being in pin 26 to 28. Pin 25 says Aux Enable, this is not needed as it is empty and still works fine.

4) DROK 12V to 6V converter for the OEM backup camera.

5) AX-SUBUSB2 - For using the OEM USB port. This hasn't arrived in the mail yet and should be here next week, so I will update this when I confirm it working.
*Update* I can confirm that this usb cable works perfectly. I can use the OEM usb port now.

Everything was pretty much smooth sailing except getting power to the AMP (and door speakers), this took me a LONG time to figure out and a lot of reading on the forums. There was conflicting information about the blue antenna wire, the antenna power wire, and moving from pin 8 to pin 9 on the 10-pin connector. I can't say anything about previous years models, but on the 2017 BRZ (and maybe the 2016 BRZ, not quite sure) but it is not necessary to move from pin 8 to pin 9 on the 10-pin connector. It is already aligned correctly with the Toyota Harness. Previous information said put the blue antenna wire onto the Antenna Power, other information said not to connect the blue antenna wire to anything as it's not needed and to put the AMP power on the Antenna Power, since the BRZ doesn't have AMP power on the 10-pin connector.

My mistake was I put the AMP power on the Antenna Power on pin 9, which didn't work. I couldn't find any information on where to put the AMP power, as the BRZ doesn't have it on the 10-pin connector and most likely an FRS thing. Then I looked at the 28-pinout and there it was, pin 9 of that connector! not the 10-pin connector.

So, to summarize, I did connect the blue antenna wire to antenna power on pin 9 of 10-pin connector and connected the AMP power to pin 9 of the 28-pin connector. That fixed my issue and now the AMP and front speakers are working.

Regarding the mysterious black/blue wire I posted above, I'm still not sure what that is. My guess is it's the antenna booster. I left it untouched and dangling there with no apparent usage. Pin 21-23 was indeed for the steering wheel control.

I can do a more thorough write up if anyone needs help, but it'll take a bit of time to write up, so please let me know if it's necessary.

Overall, I am extremely happy that everything is working correctly with the OEM parts and functions and no OEM wires were cut or messed with, so I can return to factory if necessary in the future.

Last edited by Akuma147; 10-13-2016 at 04:28 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akuma147 For This Useful Post:
johan (10-15-2016), ymshulman (07-19-2021)
Old 10-20-2016, 04:55 PM   #62
Leeto

Drives: 2016 BRZ Series.HyperBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma147 View Post
Got everything finally working. Took me a lot of reading in this thread and the Joying thread, but got everything figured out. I like to thank Luftwaffel, Pointmutation, sLoPy, and everyone else in this thread and the Joying thread for all the great information, especially SVXdc for all the detailed information about the harnesses and wiring.

I got the steering wheel controls working, OEM backup camera working, OEM AUX port works, waiting for the USB harness to come in the mail, but that should be an easy plug and play. If anyone needs help with the install for either the 2017 BRZ model or the 2016 BRZ, which is pretty much the same OEM HU, then feel free to ask me.

To anyone attempting this, the only things you need are:

1) Universal Toyota Harness (came with the Joying Android head unit). The 10-pin and 6-pin for the speakers are already wired up and ready to plug and play. It also includes a 20-pin connector that has the 3 wires for the steering wheel control. You can discard the 20-pin connector, but keep the 3 wires if you want to retain steering wheel control (pink-key1, brown-key2, and black-ground)

2) Metra 40-LX11 - For the Radio Antenna

3) AX-SUB28SWC - for the 28-pin connector. This thing is a godsend. Everything is pretty much wired for you already if you want to keep the OEM camera, aux port, and steering wheel controls. You just need to remove the ground wire from pin 14. I didn't use pin 15 for parking brake, and pin 17 for vehicle speed, so I removed those. I took one of those wires and put it in pin 9 for AMP power. The steering wheel controls are in the exact perfect place, pin 21 to 23. The Aux wires were also perfect, being in pin 26 to 28. Pin 25 says Aux Enable, this is not needed as it is empty and still works fine.

4) DROK 12V to 6V converter for the OEM backup camera.

5) AX-SUBUSB2 - For using the OEM USB port. This hasn't arrived in the mail yet and should be here next week, so I will update this when I confirm it working.
*Update* I can confirm that this usb cable works perfectly. I can use the OEM usb port now.

Everything was pretty much smooth sailing except getting power to the AMP (and door speakers), this took me a LONG time to figure out and a lot of reading on the forums. There was conflicting information about the blue antenna wire, the antenna power wire, and moving from pin 8 to pin 9 on the 10-pin connector. I can't say anything about previous years models, but on the 2017 BRZ (and maybe the 2016 BRZ, not quite sure) but it is not necessary to move from pin 8 to pin 9 on the 10-pin connector. It is already aligned correctly with the Toyota Harness. Previous information said put the blue antenna wire onto the Antenna Power, other information said not to connect the blue antenna wire to anything as it's not needed and to put the AMP power on the Antenna Power, since the BRZ doesn't have AMP power on the 10-pin connector.

My mistake was I put the AMP power on the Antenna Power on pin 9, which didn't work. I couldn't find any information on where to put the AMP power, as the BRZ doesn't have it on the 10-pin connector and most likely an FRS thing. Then I looked at the 28-pinout and there it was, pin 9 of that connector! not the 10-pin connector.

So, to summarize, I did connect the blue antenna wire to antenna power on pin 9 of 10-pin connector and connected the AMP power to pin 9 of the 28-pin connector. That fixed my issue and now the AMP and front speakers are working.

Regarding the mysterious black/blue wire I posted above, I'm still not sure what that is. My guess is it's the antenna booster. I left it untouched and dangling there with no apparent usage. Pin 21-23 was indeed for the steering wheel control.

I can do a more thorough write up if anyone needs help, but it'll take a bit of time to write up, so please let me know if it's necessary.

Overall, I am extremely happy that everything is working correctly with the OEM parts and functions and no OEM wires were cut or messed with, so I can return to factory if necessary in the future.
I just bought one of these Joying US-JY-UL135 for my 2016 BRZ. I'm a total noob at all this but from reading this and the other posts the install should be pretty straightforward right?

I can probably figure it out from what you have already but a detailed write-up (exactly what plugs into where, etc) would be super appreciated haha

Also, since the 2016 dash panel opening is slightly trapezoidal, would it be a good idea to buy a 2015 dash panel from Subaru to have the straight opening?

Last edited by Leeto; 10-20-2016 at 05:19 PM.
Leeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:37 PM   #63
Akuma147

I'll try to do a step by step tutorial later tonight, but most likely over the weekend it'll be done. **Update, the guide is up in the DIY section**

I don't believe your unit comes with the Toyota Harness. If it does, then you're all set, if not, you're going to need to get that for the 6-pin and 10-pin connector. If you want to retain all the OEM control and functions, then buy everything listed and follow what I wrote above. Everything, except the steering wheel controls (only on 2017 BRZ) should apply to your 2016 BRZ.

Regarding the dash panel, Don't quote me on this, but I'm 90% sure the 2015 dash panel would fit. Haven't ordered it yet, but I'm going to get the 2017 Canadian one piece trim myself.

Last edited by Akuma147; 10-21-2016 at 03:05 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:40 AM   #64
Leeto

Drives: 2016 BRZ Series.HyperBlue
Thanks man, that is a great guide.
Leeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:20 AM   #65
SVXdc
Radio wiring harness guru

Drives: 1996 SVX L AWD
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm going to attempt to install the Joying 5.1.1 model today.

I'm not sure what wire this is. It's black and blue and attaches to a metal bracket on the OEM Head Unit.
That is a supplemental chassis ground. Most Subaru HU's have had those for many years.

The ground lead on the 10-pin portion of the power/speaker harness is adequate. But if you re-use the factory metal brackets, on many models there is a similar ground lug tab on the lefthand bracket which you can attach the ground harness onto. The 2013-2015 BRZ models with Fujitsu Ten navigation HUs did not. I don't know about 2016 or 2017 BRZ, though.

Quote:
I'm thinking this is the steering wheel control cable. It's a small pink wire that is taped to the 28pin OEM harness
It's very unlikely that harness with the pink wire transitioning to black is related to SWCs. A better guess is that's either for the speaker amp trigger or FM antenna booster amplifier, both of which can wind up at different places at the HU, depending on car model.

There will be many other pink wires running throughout the car that are other signals -- there are only so many wire colors, so they will be repeated.
Old 10-22-2016, 01:36 AM   #66
SVXdc
Radio wiring harness guru

Drives: 1996 SVX L AWD
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Got everything finally working.

There's a chance that the terminals on those 3 SWC wires in the Joying's 20-pin connector are the same type that Metra uses on the AX-SUB28SWC. If so, you can extract the SWC terminals from both harnesses, and transplant the Joying's wires directly into the Metra 28-pin shell.

You'll need an extraction tool.

I straighten a small paper clip, then flatten the last ~10 mm of the end with a hammer on an anvil. File the tip so that its cross section is just barely small enough to fit through the rectangular extraction hole (above each terminal). File off any burrs and sharp edges.

Or if you already have something that size, you can use it.

I don't recommend using a straight pin -- it's too easy to go off target and impale the plastic shell.

Insert your extraction tool about 6mm deep into the hole. If you get it right, you should be able to tug out the wire without much effort.

Typical male terminal used in Metra AX-SUB28SWC and other harnesses with similar sized pins:
Name:  025 male terminal.jpg
Views: 1685
Size:  41.8 KB
What you'll be doing with the extraction tool (shown with female terminal):
Name:  Extract pin Reverse.jpg
Views: 1664
Size:  44.7 KB
Old 10-22-2016, 03:05 AM   #67
Akuma147

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc View Post
There's a chance that the terminals on those 3 SWC wires in the Joying's 20-pin connector are the same type that Metra uses on the AX-SUB28SWC. If so, you can extract the SWC terminals from both harnesses, and transplant the Joying's wires directly into the Metra 28-pin shell.

You'll need an extraction tool.

I straighten a small paper clip, then flatten the last ~10 mm of the end with a hammer on an anvil. File the tip so that its cross section is just barely small enough to fit through the rectangular extraction hole (above each terminal). File off any burrs and sharp edges.

Or if you already have something that size, you can use it.

I don't recommend using a straight pin -- it's too easy to go off target and impale the plastic shell.

Insert your extraction tool about 6mm deep into the hole. If you get it right, you should be able to tug out the wire without much effort.

Typical male terminal used in Metra AX-SUB28SWC and other harnesses with similar sized pins:What you'll be doing with the extraction tool (shown with female terminal):
I appreciate this info. I already figured it out by myself and SWC works great. I ended up using a small pin needle and small flat head screwdriver from an eyeglass repair kit. Anyone attempting this, definitely be careful and make sure the object you're using is small enough to fit. I did stretch out the plastic shell a bit on the first extraction I attempted.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:18 PM   #68
Joon525

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc View Post
Metra has a new 28-pin harness that is much closer to what you want: AX-SUB28SWC.

It has a yellow male RCA plug (connected to the correct pins for the OEM rear camera), and a yellow lead for the 6V camera power (CAUTION: Ignore Metra's instructions that say to connect that wire to your car's +12V Battery/constant power!).

The harness also has leads which provide the car's reverse gear, parking brake, and speed signals (VSS). The only thing it lacks is a lead for the OEM speaker amplifier trigger.

I can put together a modified version that omits the unneeded ASWC (steering wheel) portion, and adds a blue/white wire for amp trigger. FFI, e-mail me (or if you PM me, include your e-mail).
Just a note for anyone following this thread...there's a newer version of AX-SUB28SWC out that INCLUDES the 12v to 6v converter
http://www.metraonline.com/part/AX-SUB28SWC-6V (notice the "-6V" at the end of the part number)
Joon525 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joon525 For This Useful Post:
BuffDriver (03-06-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 01:04 AM   #69
soilent

Drives: 2022 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joon525 View Post
Just a note for anyone following this thread...there's a newer version of AX-SUB28SWC out that INCLUDES the 12v to 6v converter
http://www.metraonline.com/part/AX-SUB28SWC-6V (notice the "-6V" at the end of the part number)
Okay, sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm looking into replacing my head unit now and noticed this new harness. Can anyone confirm that this works? Some websites say that it will not "fit" a 2016 BRZ. Is anyone using it? Thanks.
soilent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:06 AM   #70
treminaor
"DGM BRZ"

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilent View Post
Okay, sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm looking into replacing my head unit now and noticed this new harness. Can anyone confirm that this works? Some websites say that it will not "fit" a 2016 BRZ. Is anyone using it? Thanks.
I would suggest just buying it and seeing for yourself, its plug and play so if it doesn't work no harm done and you can return it. Let us know if it works.