follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 09-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
tiz22

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Raven) MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HELP! Need to decide between two Head Units!!

Really looking for some help from some experienced people who have replaced and/or installed an aftermarket head unit in their FR-S/BRZ

I love everything about my current HU (Upgraded pioneer CAN bespoke version) but it is severely lacking in some areas...
- Nav
- Rear cam
- Videos/DVD/etc
- XM (i know its possible with an adapter)

So I'm willing to spend as much $$ as needed to get exactly what I want but it must work perfectly

A few concerns:
- Cant use OEM mic (that's fine) as long as the quality of the new mic is on par/better than OEM
- Cant use stock USB/AUX plugs (that's fine) - I'll buy the adapter to make the USB work and just leave AUX alone, I dont' use it anyway
- Parking break restrictions - I need to have a method to ground this out to use nav or watch video while car is moving

So..With this in mind, I think I have my selection down to 2 units
1. Pioneer App Radio 3 ~$500
2. Pioneer AVIC Z150BH ~$1100

Can't decide if the extra $600 is worth it or not, I have an iPhone5 so the app radio will work well but I'm not keen on letting my phone do all the work unless it works seamlessly...

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK!
tiz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Well, tiz22, I can't comment on your given options, however, I had a Kenwood DNX570HD installed in my FR-S and it works real well.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
tiz22 (09-18-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
tiz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, tiz22, I can't comment on your given options, however, I had a Kenwood DNX570HD installed in my FR-S and it works real well.

humfrz
Thanks for the input...
- How does the mic work on that? where did you place it?
- Did you do install yourself?
- How much total did you spend on it?
- Any regrets?
Old 09-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
SillySaxon

Drives: Sc10n Series FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
For the parking break restrictions I have a tip.
My step mom's Hummer had an upgraded head unit and in the slot under it was installed a small switch which bypassed the parking break restrictor.

See if you can do something like that.
tiz22 (09-18-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #5
UnOvertime

Drives: Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Go with the AppRadio 3 since you have the Iphone and it works well with that. I was not so lucky since I am an android user. I went with another pioneer unit, but most of the things you want were not important to me. (Nav and a backup camera)

As for the other concerns, I routed my USB mic up to through the A pillar and it sits next to the upper left of my windshield. I originally wanted it up behind the dome light next to the windshield, but that area felt flimsy. Never had anyone complain about the clarity of it. For the parking brake bypass, you can find the bypass cables on amazon and they are a simple install.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
tiz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnOvertime View Post
Go with the AppRadio 3 since you have the Iphone and it works well with that. I was not so lucky since I am an android user. I went with another pioneer unit, but most of the things you want were not important to me. (Nav and a backup camera)

As for the other concerns, I routed my USB mic up to through the A pillar and it sits next to the upper left of my windshield. I originally wanted it up behind the dome light next to the windshield, but that area felt flimsy. Never had anyone complain about the clarity of it. For the parking brake bypass, you can find the bypass cables on amazon and they are a simple install.
Quote:
For the parking break restrictions I have a tip.
My step mom's Hummer had an upgraded head unit and in the slot under it was installed a small switch which bypassed the parking break restrictor.

See if you can do something like that.
Thanks for the tips. Not sure if you know the answer to this but with App Radio 3, can it use Apple Maps for turn-by-turn? I hate Waze and all the other iPhone mapping/GPS apps besides Apple's and Googles.

Also, I have heard of that tip for getting around parking brake restrictions...I will look into that thanks!

Lastly, that mic placement sounds like it will work well. If clarity is good thats a good sign. Does your phone auto-connect to bluetooth instantly like the OEM? I dont even have to take my phoen out of my pocket for it to start playing music/connect to phone but Ive heard with app radio 3 it's a huge ordeal getting it up and running because of the ON-OFF-ON parking brake thing...any insight would be great
Old 09-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #7
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiz22 View Post
Thanks for the input...
- How does the mic work on that? where did you place it?
- Did you do install yourself?
- How much total did you spend on it?
- Any regrets?
Hi tiz22 .....

The mic is located along the upper part of the "A" pillar on the drivers side.

I had the "geek squad" dudes at Best Buy do the install, which is where I bought the unit and associated connectors.

The total cost (with the head unit, a Sirius/XM receiver and the associated connectors) and labor, came to about $1,100.

HINT: I suggest you mount the XM antennae on the TOP of the car, not on the dash. The reception is much better.

No regrets; the radio sounds real good and the GPS is a good one.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kenwood+...&skuId=7501111

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
tiz22 (09-18-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
encity5

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
think youll be fine with either or,
I have the pioneer avic x940bt, wanted the indash nav opposed to going to my iphone. for sake of ease, and cause the touch screen is always in the same place, my phone isnt.

i bypassed the parking break by switching two wires, ill try to grab the youtube video i follow but it was easy and didnt need to by anything extra.

and same with UnOvertime, my mic is clipped on the top of the A-Pillar, i had it clipped to the headliner in the center originally, but my wire occasionally peeked out. Im sure you can route it to where the stock mic is if you wanted for a stealth look.

I also routed my USB / AUX extension into my glove compartment. cleans up the wires around my center console,
and my GPS antenna is behind my rearview mirror.

so for me, i went with the x940bt over the app radio for indash nav primarily, (and volume knob) i felt the price increase was worth it, since the nav, similar to AVIC Z150BH, is meant to standalone as its own headunit. AppRadio is meant to connect to your phone.
Ill never have to bother with waiting my phone to connect, or having to go back to turn blue tooth on, or figuring out if my phone or HU is the issue.
But if i want, my pioneer HU has appradio if i wanted the app radio features.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #9
tiz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by encity5 View Post
think youll be fine with either or,
I have the pioneer avic x940bt, wanted the indash nav opposed to going to my iphone. for sake of ease, and cause the touch screen is always in the same place, my phone isnt.

i bypassed the parking break by switching two wires, ill try to grab the youtube video i follow but it was easy and didnt need to by anything extra.

and same with UnOvertime, my mic is clipped on the top of the A-Pillar, i had it clipped to the headliner in the center originally, but my wire occasionally peeked out. Im sure you can route it to where the stock mic is if you wanted for a stealth look.

I also routed my USB / AUX extension into my glove compartment. cleans up the wires around my center console,
and my GPS antenna is behind my rearview mirror.

so for me, i went with the x940bt over the app radio for indash nav primarily, (and volume knob) i felt the price increase was worth it, since the nav, similar to AVIC Z150BH, is meant to standalone as its own headunit. AppRadio is meant to connect to your phone.
Ill never have to bother with waiting my phone to connect, or having to go back to turn blue tooth on, or figuring out if my phone or HU is the issue.
But if i want, my pioneer HU has appradio if i wanted the app radio features.
Appreciate the feedback. Any reason you went with the x940bt specifically over the z150bh?

How is playing videos on the HU? I know a DVD will be straight forward but I'm thinking more along the lines of using VIDEOS on my iphone to play movies over the headunit through either lightning connector or HDMI ( I have the apple adapter)...Does it work well?
Old 09-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
encity5

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiz22 View Post
Appreciate the feedback. Any reason you went with the x940bt specifically over the z150bh?

How is playing videos on the HU? I know a DVD will be straight forward but I'm thinking more along the lines of using VIDEOS on my iphone to play movies over the headunit through either lightning connector or HDMI ( I have the apple adapter)...Does it work well?
x940bt because it had a volume knob. I really appreciate the knob since i dont like to have to take turn my head to find the right button.
Other than that, i couldn't tell what the differences were in features, so could never justify the extra 3-$400.

hm, i've never actually tried playing videos off my iphone on the HU. I dont generally watch videos on it. cant attest to that.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
tiz22

Thanks again to everyone for their help...
I ended up splurging and went for the AVIC Z150BH because you only live once

Last question...What all do I need to make this a perfect install? So far I've got:
- CDiH202 - for iPhone5 connection
- BeatSonic mounting kit (is there a better one than this?)
- Adapter to retain stock USB port (don't care about AUX)
- Deciding on XM adapter
- Anything else? I know you need an adapter for your FM/AM antennae but I'm thinking of just leaving that cuz I never listen to my radio
Old 09-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #12
Muskokan

Drives: white Sport-tech
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
All users that want to/have done the parking break bypass, keep in mind that your insurance will not cover you if your in an at fault accident, and it's a required check for them as soon as a head unit has media playback.

Something to always keep in mind.
Muskokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #13
Figo

Drives: Vortech Supercharged FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
does anyone has a plug in and play head unit?
I hav never install a head unit before. So if it needs some modification...probability I need a manual, lol.

( White Tiger ) - FiGo's 車誌.
Figo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #14
Lverasky
RedBunny w/ Wing

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figo View Post
does anyone has a plug in and play head unit?
I hav never install a head unit before. So if it needs some modification...probability I need a manual, lol.
Ca-Fi is plug and play. it is Android system base.
Silent_Dan (09-19-2013)