follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2015, 11:57 AM   #1
Marc DDS

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2013 BRZ gremlins.

Last week I picked up a new-to-me 2013 BRZ

I recently gave up motorcycles and was looking for a replacement. I drove a lot of cars Porsches, BMWs, Audis, GTRs etc. I kept telling the salesman I wanted a car that I wanted to get up early on a Sunday to drive.

I drove the FR-S and loved it, and ended up with this BRZ with a few more creature comforts. Had it for about a week now and still love driving the heck out of it. I live in a remote part of Nevada, empty twisty roads are a plenty and the smell of warm rubber and clutch are intoxicating. So far she may or may have not pulled 131mph, and she felt pretty good up there.

Now with more time and more miles with her, I've noticed a few things that have me scratching my head.

1- drivers door light, the little curtesy glow that helps the passengers find thier way...... Is always on. I don't mean it comes on and off.... It is always on and has a very dim glow. It isn't as bright as the drivers side but it is on. I've pushed the button on the door jam and the window goes up and down like it is supposed to when the door opens and closes so I am just confused by this issue.

2- power points (cigarette lighters) don't work. Either the one on the center consul or the one in the glove box. This is not a huge deal but I've got no where to plug in a radar detector haha. I've checked both fuzes and replaced them. Still nothing. Thoughts????
Marc DDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:18 PM   #2
Agent 86

Drives: 2017 Cayman S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc DDS View Post

2- power points (cigarette lighters) don't work. Either the one on the center consul or the one in the glove box. This is not a huge deal but I've got no where to plug in a radar detector haha. I've checked both fuzes and replaced them. Still nothing. Thoughts????
Welcome, and congratulations. Sounds like you're enjoying your new ride.

#2 Is it possible that the problem is with your radar detector? Does it have a fuse? Have you tried another device to verify the problem is the outlet?

Seems peculiar that the outlets don't work, but the fuse not causing the problem.
2014 BRZ Limited - 2013 VW Golf R - 2010 Forester XT - 2006 Mazda 3 GT
Agent 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:22 PM   #3
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
1) sounds like a bad body control module from a botched LED install

2) could be related to the first part
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Poodles For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-26-2016)
Old 07-30-2015, 03:43 PM   #4
BlackJesus
Shut up baby, I know it

Drives: 2013 BRZ DMG
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I recently gave up motorcycles and was looking for a replacement. I drove a lot of cars Porsches, BMWs, Audis, GTRs etc. I kept telling the salesman I wanted a car that I wanted to get up early on a Sunday to drive.

I drove the FR-S and loved it, and ended up with this BRZ with a few more creature comforts. Had it for about a week now and still love driving the heck out of it. I live in a remote part of Nevada, empty twisty roads are a plenty and the smell of warm rubber and clutch are intoxicating. So far she may or may have not pulled 131mph, and she felt pretty good up there.

Now with more time and more miles with her, I've noticed a few things that have me scratching my head.

1- drivers door light, the little curtesy glow that helps the passengers find thier way...... Is always on. I don't mean it comes on and off.... It is always on and has a very dim glow. It isn't as bright as the drivers side but it is on. I've pushed the button on the door jam and the window goes up and down like it is supposed to when the door opens and closes so I am just confused by this issue.

Sorry to hear that. For the interior side lights, just change em to leds
Should only cost a few bucks. If it's always on then the seating of it could be loose or a bad connector all together.
For your second issue, just bring it to the dealer, I had this issues many times until they replace the whole 12 bolt port with a new one. Like the other 2 said verify that your radar is working with other cars and hopefully that your brz 12 volt port didn't fried it along with itself. Had this happen to my phone charger.
BlackJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:15 PM   #5
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
1) sounds like a bad body control module from a botched LED install

2) could be related to the first part
I want to echo this: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66721
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:22 PM   #6
Speed2th
I love my series blue brz

Drives: 2010 335d
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
either LED light caused the problem or you have your wires crossed. it is a pain in the butt to trace the cross. there are wiring diagram and repair manual in this forum.

are you a dentist btw?
Speed2th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:53 PM   #7
Marc DDS

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed2th View Post
either LED light caused the problem or you have your wires crossed. it is a pain in the butt to trace the cross. there are wiring diagram and repair manual in this forum.

are you a dentist btw?

I am a dentist.. Are you an anti-dentite?

I still haven't figured out why my light stays on.

I did figure out why my power points were not working. The glove box was a stubborn fuse and the center consul was unplugged. All in all pretty EZ to figure it all out.

Since it has been winter, and I don't drive the BRZ in the snow, I have to keep a trickle charger on it or after about 4-5 days the battery is dead.
Marc DDS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marc DDS For This Useful Post:
ajaxthebetter (01-26-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 07:27 PM   #8
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

I did figure out why my power points were not working. The glove box was a stubborn fuse and the center consul was unplugged. All in all pretty EZ to figure it all out.

Since it has been winter, and I don't drive the BRZ in the snow, I have to keep a trickle charger on it or after about 4-5 days the battery is dead.
Won't solve root cause but disconnect the light. At least it won't be putting more pressure on the battery until you do figure things out.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:41 PM   #9
Speed2th
I love my series blue brz

Drives: 2010 335d
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I am also a dentist and practicing in SoCal
Speed2th is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Speed2th For This Useful Post:
86kahl (01-26-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 08:58 PM   #10
Ramn

Drives: 2015 GTI
There is a problem if your battery dies after 4-5 days.
Ramn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:31 PM   #11
carma143

Drives: Toyota Highlander; Subaru BRZ (SWP)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramn View Post
There is a problem if your battery dies after 4-5 days.
As stated earlier, it is most likely due to the passenger door curtesy light not turning off.