follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 02-14-2016, 07:56 AM   #785
bprayogo

Drives: toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Try a different ecutek cable
bprayogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:57 PM   #786
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86fun View Post
Quick update. I've been testing additional tune modifications and logging.

Unfortunately my ECUTek died, I can no longer connect to the car with it. The lights light up and even turn red when trying to connect but fails every time. My other OBD reader works perfectly, so I'm assuming it's the ECUTek unit that died. Anyone have that happen? The car still runs as it has been. Maybe this has been the problem all along... it never did connect consistently. By the way, it will flash the car with a new firmware no problem, it just won't connect with "Map Access". Weird.
if the problem all along was a faulty cable... lol. all the headaches over something so simple. hopefully that is the problem and you will be a happy camper soon
Old 02-14-2016, 05:55 PM   #787
Ross

Drives: 85 corolla gts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Adjust the pins of your cable to get connection. This takes just a very small twist. The factory obd2 connector pins spread a hair if you hook things to it often. Or you can unpin the factory obd2 connector and adjust pin fit there.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:17 PM   #788
86fun

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Adjust the pins of your cable to get connection. This takes just a very small twist. The factory obd2 connector pins spread a hair if you hook things to it often. Or you can unpin the factory obd2 connector and adjust pin fit there.

My other OBD reader works 100% of the time. I've played with the connector a bunch, wiggling/etc, when it was working it was pretty stout, it could just be pulled out easily because it was so loose fitting. The problem is definitely something with the cable or electronics in the cable or the something in the ECU specific that the ECUTek is connecting to that my other stuff doesn't try to connect to. I'm really not sure what it is until I try a new ECUTek cable.... I'll let you all know!
86fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:52 AM   #789
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I know it sounds daft but have you tried a different USB port? Mine will disconnect occasionally in my USB3 port if it moves about but not in either of my USB2 ports.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:50 AM   #790
86fun

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I'm using two different laptops, same behavior. ECUTek instructed me to reduce my selected values to monitor, I'll be testing that today.
86fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:14 AM   #791
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
What is everybody doing for catch cans? AOS? Single? Double? Vent to atm? What brand? I've always thought of them as engine bay "bling", but now, the more I think about it, the more I'm afraid that there is a good chance of gunking up that intercooler inside the manifold over time.

I ended up going with Saikou Michi, which I'm very pleased with and would highly recommend. You get custom hose barb sizing, inlet/outlet rotation and mounting for a surprisingly affordable price. My plan was to leave all my existing edelbrock hoses unmodified and they were able to provide everything i needed to splice the can in. Mr. Saikou was very helpful by email and answered all my questions and provided great design feedback. About my only complaint was the long lead time, but I guess that's what happens when its semi-custom and built to order. Plus it doesn't hurt that the color scheme matches the manifold nicely!
Attached Images

BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
Uplink (02-16-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 03:47 PM   #792
Uplink

Drives: anything you let me
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
What is everybody doing for catch cans? AOS? Single? Double? Vent to atm? What brand? I've always thought of them as engine bay "bling", but now, the more I think about it, the more I'm afraid that there is a good chance of gunking up that intercooler inside the manifold over time.

I ended up going with Saikou Michi, which I'm very pleased with and would highly recommend. You get custom hose barb sizing, inlet/outlet rotation and mounting for a surprisingly affordable price. My plan was to leave all my existing edelbrock hoses unmodified and they were able to provide everything i needed to splice the can in. Mr. Saikou was very helpful by email and answered all my questions and provided great design feedback. About my only complaint was the long lead time, but I guess that's what happens when its semi-custom and built to order. Plus it doesn't hurt that the color scheme matches the manifold nicely!
Looks good. Were you able to install that without removing the manifold? Was there oil making it through the lines before you installed the catch can?
Uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:04 PM   #793
BigFatFlip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplink View Post
Looks good. Were you able to install that without removing the manifold? Was there oil making it through the lines before you installed the catch can?
Yes, but not without struggling with it for a good half hour. I was trying to get to the hose clamp with a set of long angled needle nose pliers without much luck. I finally went to the local auto parts store and ended buying one of these.

I was able to sneak the tool between the runners and got that clamp on in 5 mins.

Before installing, I stuck my finger into the PCV barb and inside the hose. Didn't feel any oil but lots of soot. I'm pretty gentle with my car and I only have a 12 mi commute to work everyday, so its no surprise. This whole thing was more for peace of mind than anything.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (02-16-2016), Uplink (02-17-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 05:08 PM   #794
aegisdrgn

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series #2263
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, but not without struggling with it for a good half hour. I was trying to get to the hose clamp with a set of long angled needle nose pliers without much luck. I finally went to the local auto parts store and ended buying one of these.

I was able to sneak the tool between the runners and got that clamp on in 5 mins.

Before installing, I stuck my finger into the PCV barb and inside the hose. Didn't feel any oil but lots of soot. I'm pretty gentle with my car and I only have a 12 mi commute to work everyday, so its no surprise. This whole thing was more for peace of mind than anything.
Welp, looks like I know what tool I'm getting next cuz I'm going to "need" it. =)
aegisdrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:19 AM   #795
NotSoJDM

Drives: '13 BRZ | '04 E55
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Garage
A quick shout out to Edelbrock for the awesome customer service. I noticed my idler had some wobble to it and my E-Force name plate was starting to pull away from the airbox. I sent an email about these items, and they took care of replacing them without hesitation!
NotSoJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NotSoJDM For This Useful Post:
Edelbrock LLC (02-17-2016), Silverfox (02-20-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 02:29 PM   #796
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
What is everybody doing for catch cans?
have not installed one. been for looking out for oil in the PVC hose but haven't seen any yet. planning on looking inside the MAF housing as well after i put more miles on.

Last edited by shiumai; 02-17-2016 at 10:59 PM.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:34 PM   #797
NotSoJDM

Drives: '13 BRZ | '04 E55
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I think you've already seen mine, but it's a single can mounted in a similar spot to you.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455737606.049641.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  366.3 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455737651.285044.jpg
Views: 1207
Size:  326.3 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NotSoJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NotSoJDM For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (02-17-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 03:00 PM   #798
BigFatFlip

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoJDM View Post
I think you've already seen mine, but it's a single can mounted in a similar spot to you.
Yep, kinda what I based my can design on lol. This was the second design I stole from you, right after your oil cooler
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
NotSoJDM (02-17-2016)