follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 06-19-2017, 07:20 PM   #2381
execute1902

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zut View Post
Oil or water? It would be odd for oil to fluctuate that quickly.

What kind of temperatures are you seeing, and how are you measuring?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
You're right, it is the coolant temperature, my bad. The based off of the gauge on the instrument cluster, the temperature almost immediately goes fully to Hot. The coolant I used was https://www.valvoline.com/our-produc...freeze-coolant (Zerex Blue)
execute1902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:23 PM   #2382
armstrom

Drives: none
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It's possible you didn't properly bleed the coolant system and have an air bubble trapped somewhere. Did you fully drain the coolant as described in the installation manual?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
armstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:23 PM   #2383
Zut

Drives: 2013 FRS
Most likely you've still got air in the coolant system. I'd bleed again with a spill free funnel. Don't forget about the bleed screw behind the supercharger.

You know it's bleed right if you're getting hot air through the heater system.

Zut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:32 PM   #2384
execute1902

Quote:
Most likely you've still got air in the coolant system. I'd bleed again with a spill free funnel. Don't forget about the bleed screw behind the supercharger.

You know it's bleed right if you're getting hot air through the heater system.

Yes you were exactly right, thank you very much, I successfully purged like the air from the engine coolant system, just to double check though, is there a trick to be sure all air is purge from the surge tank? I appreciate your quick response, very helpful
Old 06-19-2017, 08:44 PM   #2385
Zut

Drives: 2013 FRS
Surge tank doesn't require bleeding, just make sure you don't let the surge tank run dry.

Zut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:48 PM   #2386
execute1902

Quote:
Surge tank doesn't require bleeding, just make sure you don't let the surge tank run dry.

Perfect, thank you so much kind sir
Old 06-20-2017, 12:15 AM   #2387
Gforce
Banned

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Ya I remembered wrong and a quick check says it is Australia that uses the 91 (our 87). Europe has 95 (90 in ours) as regular. The fact remains that their 95 is not our 95 which was my point. If making the statement you made but converting to our reporting system their regular is 90 not 95. You stated before that they had higher octagon since they would pay for it and that is not an accurate statement.
I'm having a little trouble following this but it still needs correcting. European 95 RON is North American 91 pump octane, not 90. Europe won't use 87 pump octane because it gives poor fuel economy and fuel is heavily taxed. The irony is that high octane fuel was invented in America.
Gforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:18 AM   #2388
Gforce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by execute1902 View Post
I just got my 1556 installed yesterday and now my oil temp is constantly at high (under load) when at idle it is at the middle, but as soon as I start to move it goes to High. So my questions if anyone could help...

Is this normal?
Is this safe?
Should I use a different oil then the factory recommended weight, does it matter?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for any input
Factory recommended 0W 20 works fine whether supercharged or not. Modern engines run low viscosity synthetic oils and using heavier viscosity than specified is really not recommended. Bearing clearances and piston clearances are very tight. Besides, viscosity is not what protects the bearings, film strength is the key and that no longer relies on the VI.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:23 AM   #2389
Gforce
Banned

Quote:

Which is a good thing because bleeding the Edelbrock intercooler coolant circuit is impossible without a vacuum tool to pull coolant throughout the circuit. Edelbrock originally ran their intercooler header "tank" higher up and closer to the firewall until they realized it was almost impossible to fill up there anyway. The location they settled on at least allows easy topping up, just getting all the air out takes a while because the high point is at the back of the engine where the intercooler pipes are connected to the intercooler matrix.

It took me three weeks of rigorously checking the header tank daily and topping it up with coolant before it finally settled down and stayed full. You cannot fill it when it's hot because the header tank is pressurized and "boils over". Even when cold gravity is not your friend. I found opening the cap when the engine was cold and switching on the ignition but not the engine activated the coolant pump drawing down the coolant in the header tank which allowed about 4oz of coolant to be added. Close the cap and drive. Then repeat the following morning and so on until the coolant overflows a bit when you release the cap when cold. Normal level when cold is about halfway up the header tank.

There's no issue with low coolant in the header tank other than intercooler efficiency. The coolant pump cares not if there's a bit of entrained air. But until the header tank is filled above the flow hoses you cannot get full power.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gforce For This Useful Post:
sato (06-21-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 12:36 PM   #2390
execute1902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce View Post
Which is a good thing because bleeding the Edelbrock intercooler coolant circuit is impossible without a vacuum tool to pull coolant throughout the circuit. Edelbrock originally ran their intercooler header "tank" higher up and closer to the firewall until they realized it was almost impossible to fill up there anyway. The location they settled on at least allows easy topping up, just getting all the air out takes a while because the high point is at the back of the engine where the intercooler pipes are connected to the intercooler matrix.

It took me three weeks of rigorously checking the header tank daily and topping it up with coolant before it finally settled down and stayed full. You cannot fill it when it's hot because the header tank is pressurized and "boils over". Even when cold gravity is not your friend. I found opening the cap when the engine was cold and switching on the ignition but not the engine activated the coolant pump drawing down the coolant in the header tank which allowed about 4oz of coolant to be added. Close the cap and drive. Then repeat the following morning and so on until the coolant overflows a bit when you release the cap when cold. Normal level when cold is about halfway up the header tank.

There's no issue with low coolant in the header tank other than intercooler efficiency. The coolant pump cares not if there's a bit of entrained air. But until the header tank is filled above the flow hoses you cannot get full power.

Thank you Gforce and Zut for your information, yall were very helpful. Does anybody know, on a stock engine, how small of a pulley could it handle... Safely?
Old 06-20-2017, 03:13 PM   #2391
Gforce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by execute1902 View Post
Thank you Gforce and Zut for your information, yall were very helpful. Does anybody know, on a stock engine, how small of a pulley could it handle... Safely?
People generally serm to think something less than 300 bhp at the crank is the most the factory rods can handle. Cosworth holds this view. I imagine Edelbrock would know this. They (and Harrop in Australia) opted for the 1320 Eaton blower internals which is designed for 2.2 - 4.2 litre engines. Cosworth went with the 900 designed for 1.5 to 2.9 litres engine capacity. Obviously, everybody knows this engine could take more boost but have not yet issued an upgrade pulley and software. Makes you wonder why not?
Old 06-20-2017, 04:32 PM   #2392
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce View Post
People generally serm to think something less than 300 bhp at the crank is the most the factory rods can handle. Cosworth holds this view. I imagine Edelbrock would know this. They (and Harrop in Australia) opted for the 1320 Eaton blower internals which is designed for 2.2 - 4.2 litre engines. Cosworth went with the 900 designed for 1.5 to 2.9 litres engine capacity. Obviously, everybody knows this engine could take more boost but have not yet issued an upgrade pulley and software. Makes you wonder why not?
They might have been concerned about the 86's unusually hot engine bay and the larger TVS unit operating below its limits stays cooler/more reliable than a smaller unit operating closer to its limits. They similarly overspec'd the heat exchanger taken from one of their domestic V8 kits. My memory on this is vague so I could just be blowing hot air.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:29 AM   #2393
Gforce
Banned

Supercharger thermal efficiency is related to size. The TVS 1320 in the Edelbrock kit is just loafing along. Audi and Jaguar fit that size to their 3.0 engines.

I think Edelbrock was designing for road use where the engine runs more of the time at low rpm. Since these superchargers deliver a constant volume of air per revolution (positive displacement, an air pump) the larger volume of the 1320 would tend to work better than the TVR 900 lower in its rpm range giving better drivability at the mid range typically used in North America. Driving conditions in Australia tend to be more similar to those in North America than in the UK so Harrop's choice of the same size may support my conjecture. Certainly the Edelbrock kit transforms this engine from a high rpm screamer to an engine with solid mid range punch. Remarkably this supercharged version still revs usefully right through its redline, were it not for the limiter.

Incidentally, the Edelbrock limiter is fully soft as I discovered recently at a stop light. I really did need the other guy's lane and he seemed determined to cut me off.....I thought it strange that I overhauled and passed him but then stopped making gains...stuck on the limiter in second for a brief moment and didn't realize it right away. Pretty smooth limiter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gforce For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (06-21-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 05:26 PM   #2394
menikmati

Drives: 2015 BRZ, 2005 STI
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I need to access the high pressure side port of the AC system and it looks to be way too close to the supercharger, anybody have any tips on accessing the port?

I would be doing a full AC recharge and would need the car to be running in order to spin the compressor, so I can't just unbolt the supercharger and leave it floating.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote