follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 11-21-2018, 10:23 AM   #281
MugsBRZ
Trying to join the club

Drives: 2016 BRZ Series.HyperBlue
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Any Black Friday specials on the Reference 500Q system? And what's the difference between it and the 450Q system? I heard BRZ3N's system yesterday, which is a custom version of the Reference system as it has two subwoofers in the trunk and may have some other tweaks - it sounded incredible with no distortion whatsoever. He offered to play any song, so I chose "Ramble On" by Led Zeppelin because it rocks and because it has a heavy bass line and builds, so it's a good test to see if things start vibrating and distorting - nope, just a pure delight. I listen to the stereo maybe half the time at the most in my BRZ and 1/2 of that is just spoken podcasts, but I still am now considering the OEM Audio + system if I can justify the price, considering how much I'll use it.
MugsBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MugsBRZ For This Useful Post:
oemaudioplus (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 01:27 PM   #282
oemaudioplus

Drives: http://bit.ly/Vantage86
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by improvius View Post
I have to admit it sounds really, really good. The SQ is even better than I expected it to be. The sound is full and clear and I'm very happy with it.
@improvius thank you for providing your honest feedback. Thank you for your patience and allowing us to serve you!

Quote:
I should have received more communication about why it was being delayed.
On behalf of the entire O+ Team we apologize that our working with the 3rd Party Installer (LL) resulted in such a bottleneck of communication. We are happy to work with shops our Owners choose, but unfortunately in this instance it resulted in updates provided not properly being relayed to you (our Owner).

We appreciate you bringing this lack of communication to our attention with your message on this thread on September 8th. This allowed us to resume direct communication with you (which is always our preference) Thank you!

Quote:
On August 2nd, I emailed OEMP directly, asking for information on the quick release hardware and trying to get it added to my order. I did not receive a response.
As noted in our direct email on September 8, we appreciated you bringing this request to our attention. According to our notes your order should have shipped with the Quick-Release Hardware free-of-charge however based on the picture of your sub provided, it doesn't appear to be installed. Did the installer (LL) give you the option of this provided hardware? Please message us directly, we want to ensure you received what was sent with your order.

Quote:
As far as I can tell, it was mostly (if not entirely) because of the custom paint job.
You are correct. The paint process for your Charlesite Yellow (Color Code NAR) Subwoofer System proved to cause delay on the competition of your custom order. However that is no excuse for you not receiving the updates that were issued.

We have our kits painted professionally by Doug Starbuck of Starside Design. The enclosure will undergo the same level of quality as the exterior of your vehicle: Prep, Primer, Base Coat (Pearl if applicable) and Clear Coat.

Quote:
it took way too long for OEMP to fulfill my order.
Again, thanks for sharing your experience. It is our hope that these times of concerns are never experienced by our Owners (specially when it all could have prevented if we maintained a direct line of contact). We are here to serve you. If there is anything we as a team can further do to make your experience unmatched, please don’t hesitate to contact us directly.
oemaudioplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #283
oemaudioplus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugsBRZ View Post
Any Black Friday specials on the Reference 500Q system?

YES!! No need to wait till Friday. Use promo code “black86” to apply the best saving of the year to your order. This month only!

Product Showcase

Quote:
what's the difference between it and the 450Q system?
The 450Q is our previous generation product and has been retired (it was a good run!). As of 2018 we have introduced our NEW 500Q Series solution with next generation Amplifier and Digital Signal Processing. This platform also supports our new Dedicated Subwoofer Amplifier System (which is now included with all FT86 Orders). So Listeners wanting more low frequency reproduction and precision adjustability, now have this available.

Above all, You can expect our same seamless installation and signature sound the moment you plug your O+ solution in (Only with our latest and greatest performance).

Quote:
I heard BRZ3N's system yesterday, which is a custom version of the Reference system as it has two subwoofers in the trunk and may have some other tweaks - it sounded incredible with no distortion whatsoever.
Thanks for sharing your feedback @MugsBRZ! We are glad you had the opportunity to experience our signature sound and appreciate your willingness to share with the ft86club community. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you!
Old 11-21-2018, 07:18 PM   #284
MugsBRZ
Trying to join the club

Drives: 2016 BRZ Series.HyperBlue
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I took the plunge and just ordered a Reference 500Q system. Daniel was great to speak with, answering a slew of questions from me about the system, a possible head unit upgrade, the OEM+ company, and the particulars about my order. I'm sticking with my stock 2016 Starlink head unit for now as the only feature I'm mainly interested in is cordless Apple CarPlay. After hearing BRZ3N's system yesterday that is being run by the stock head unit, I know the audio quality is possible with the stock system, so I can live without CarPlay. I am so excited to get this system and install it, which should be a fun DIY project, too. And to top it off, OEM+ is offering a great discount right now - I saved $200 off my purchase! At some point in the future, I may upgrade to a 2018 BRZ head unit since it does have CarPlay, but I need to find out how well it can be integrated into my 2016 BRZ. Due to the larger screen, I know I'll need to change my dash trim/fascia, but I'm wondering about how the wiring will need to be changed, whether the integrated microphone, USB/Aux ports will still function, and any other issues. If anyone has info about that, please post it or point me to another thread if it's already been discussed. Other than that possible future project, I am really looking forward to installing the system.
MugsBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 03:54 PM   #285
chanklins

Drives: Scion FR-S RS1.0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
UPDATE: I was contacted by OEMP soon after making the above post. Here's the full story on how things went down:

First of all, I was going through my local installer (Limelight in Webster, NY) for all purchases. This was at their request, and it seemed reasonable at the time. As it turned out, though, they had their own problems with communicating, which compounded the problems I was having with OEMP. I will never go this route again with an installer.

I ordered the full Reference kit and opted for the custom paint to match my Series.Yellow. For $200 it seemed like a reasonable cosmetic upgrade. I was not given an exact ETA, but my installer relayed to me that it could take "a couple of weeks" extra. This seemed fine to me. I placed the order for the full kit with them on July 28th.

On August 2nd, I emailed OEMP directly, asking for information on the quick release hardware and trying to get it added to my order. I did not receive a response.

Time went by with no updates from either LL or OEMP. On August 17th, I sent LL a message via FB (which was how I had been communicating with them previously) asking for an update. My request was acknowledged, but I did not receive an update after that.

On September 3rd, I requested another update from LL. Again, my request was acknowledged, but I never received an actual update.

On September 8th, out of frustration, I posted in this forum. OEMP replied to me that day. They also become more immediately responsive to my requests from that day forward. I continued contacting OEMP directly rather than going through LL.

On September 25th I asked OEMP for another update. I was told that the kit had shipped out days ago. OEMP said that they had told LL about the shipment and had requested that LL notify me. I was not notified by LL.

I contacted LL on September 26th and scheduled the installation for October 5th. I also warned them about possible issues with the Maestro unit they were installing, including the potential problem with the power line to the backup camera. I also requested that they pick up and install the Metra adapter for the dashboard USB jack.

The installation takes longer than expected, partly because LL had issues with the backup camera (which I had specifically warned them about). Also, they never picked up the USB adapter, even though I had a conversation with them about it in person and sent them the exact part number on October 6th. I pick the car up on October 8th. While there, the owner finally looks at the messages I sent and agrees to pick up the USB adapter and install it at a later date (which they do a couple of weeks later.)

After a day of driving the car, I discover that the power to the sub will only come on if I start the car twice. When I start the car up once cold, the sub does not power up. So I have to do a full of powering up the car, powering it down, than actually starting the ignition in order to get everything to work.

I contact OEMP and LL via email about the problem. Within a few days, OEMP ships a replacement amp unit to me directly. I receive the replacement and install it myself about a couple of weeks later. The problem is resolved and everything now powers up on the first start. This resolution was about 2 1/2 weeks after I initially placed the order.

Summary: it took way too long for OEMP to fulfill my order. As far as I can tell, it was mostly (if not entirely) because of the custom paint job. And getting the bad amp was just icing on the cake. I should have received more communication about why it was being delayed. I fault both the installer and OEMP for this.

Having said all of the above, I have to admit it sounds really, really good. The SQ is even better than I expected it to be. The sound is full and clear and I'm very happy with it. One minor issue that remains is that the sub pops when powering down. It's not very loud, but it's definitely noticeable and not desirable. Other than that, everything came out exceptionally well.

As for whether or not waiting for the paint job was worth it, see the picture and judge for yourself.
Can you explain a little more about the Maestro and backup camera issues? I want to do exactly that to see the gauges on the head unit and install a backup camera too.
chanklins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:10 PM   #286
improvius

Drives: 2017 series.yellow BRZ, 2015 X1
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanklins View Post
Can you explain a little more about the Maestro and backup camera issues? I want to do exactly that to see the gauges on the head unit and install a backup camera too.
I think this is the original thread documenting the issue:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...6&postcount=11
improvius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to improvius For This Useful Post:
chanklins (11-22-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 04:13 PM   #287
improvius

Quote:
Originally Posted by oemaudioplus View Post
As noted in our direct email on September 8, we appreciated you bringing this request to our attention. According to our notes your order should have shipped with the Quick-Release Hardware free-of-charge however based on the picture of your sub provided, it doesn't appear to be installed. Did the installer (LL) give you the option of this provided hardware? Please message us directly, we want to ensure you received what was sent with your order.
The installer had some issues and only figured out one of the knobs, which is towards the front. They gave me the additional hardware for the 2nd knob. The car went into storage already, so I'll take a look at it again in the spring.
oemaudioplus (11-22-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 04:15 PM   #288
oemaudioplus

Quote:
The installer had some issues and only figured out one of the knobs, which is towards the front. They gave me the additional hardware for the 2nd knob. The car went into storage already, so I'll take a look at it again in the spring.

Thanks for confirming. Be sure to reach out to us if any questions come up regarding installation, once applicable.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:23 PM   #289
chanklins

Quote:
Thanks for reaching out and for confirming compatibility. We can guarantee a complete transformation in terms of sound quality with the factory head unit, but we understand the desire to upgrade taking into account the features you noted above. We would recommend the Pioneer AVIC, NEX, AVH series of head units. We have worked with these closely over the past few years and have been happy with the results in the 86/FR-S/BRZ platform.
Hi, I think I will go ahead and order the Kenwood DDX9705S head unit. Could you guys confirm compatibility with it? If so, I'll be ordering mine soon

Thank you.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:29 PM   #290
oemaudioplus

Quote:
Kenwood DDX9705S head unit. Could you guys confirm compatibility with it?

Yes! Thanks for confirming. The Reference 500 is completely compatible with the Kenwood series of units, both in terms of connectivity (with the appropriate receiver adapter for your new head unit) and sound (we tune with the output characteristics of the model you choose in mind - Specified on our System configuration page).
The Following User Says Thank You to oemaudioplus For This Useful Post:
chanklins (11-22-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 04:57 PM   #291
chanklins

Quote:
Yes! Thanks for confirming. The Reference 500 is completely compatible with the Kenwood series of units, both in terms of connectivity (with the appropriate receiver adapter for your new head unit) and sound (we tune with the output characteristics of the model you choose in mind - Specified on our System configuration page).
Thank you for this super fast response! Does it matter in terms of your cables if I get the iDatalink Maestro RR as well? I also want to se the car gauges on the head unit.
The Following User Says Thank You to chanklins For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2018, 05:17 PM   #292
improvius

Quote:
Thank you for this super fast response! Does it matter in terms of your cables if I get the iDatalink Maestro RR as well? I also want to se the car gauges on the head unit.
I have the Maestro, a Kenwood HU, and the Reference OEMP setup. I can confirm gauges are working on the HU.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:06 PM   #293
chanklins

Quote:
I have the Maestro, a Kenwood HU, and the Reference OEMP setup. I can confirm gauges are working on the HU.
Awesome. I've been looking into the Maestro installation instructions and seem a bit confusing, do you happen to have any DIY or link to a DIY? I've been looking in the forum but haven't found one.

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2018, 08:47 AM   #294
improvius

Quote:
Awesome. I've been looking into the Maestro installation instructions and seem a bit confusing, do you happen to have any DIY or link to a DIY? I've been looking in the forum but haven't found one.

Thanks!
Sorry, I had an installer do it all.

Tags
amp, audio, music, radio, subwoofer