follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-10-2016, 04:47 PM   #1
FlipperBizkut

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Build Your Own BRZ Accessories (MY17)

Hello. First post here on this forum. Found you guys doing research, and still have not found the answer to my question, so I figured I would ask here.

On the USA Build Your Own BRZ page, if you choose the Limited with an Automatic Transmission, it seems that some accessories come standard that do not come standard otherwise. The accessories in particular are:

17-Inch STI Alloy Wheel Set
STI Side Under Spoiler
STI Rear Quarter Under Spoiler

A couple of things seem strange to me about that. First, why only standard on the Limited with AT? Second, why the side and rear quarter under spoiler, but not the front?

So, I ordered one from the dealership, and we built it online, and I have this same build printed out. Those particular accessories total up to $2,683, so that's pretty nice, but I feel like it is a mistake on the website or something because I have not heard (nor can I find information) that the AT comes with these accessories by default.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks!
FlipperBizkut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:08 PM   #2
hypebrz
IG: @HypeBRZ

Drives: Series.Hyperblue BRZ
Garage
As far as I'm concerned I have not seen any STi front lip for the MY17 BRZ. Possibly why every other STi option was included as the 2013-16 products still fit.

As far as why they were standard, it had to be an error online. No way every automatic in production this year will have an entire STi kit on it.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:01 AM   #3
DatsunDimer

Drives: Datsun 510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The front under spoiler is listed in the MY17 brochure, so it is definitely available. The online system has been a little unstable since the redesign of the model pages. Guessing it is also an error.
DatsunDimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:32 PM   #4
Elleteeh

Drives: '17 Subaru BRZ CWP Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsunDimer View Post
The front under spoiler is listed in the MY17 brochure, so it is definitely available. The online system has been a little unstable since the redesign of the model pages. Guessing it is also an error.

Yeah, my dealer already has my front spoiler arriving tomorrow. So it definitely is ready for ordering.
Elleteeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:54 PM   #5
FlipperBizkut

If the order form shows the sti under spoilers and wheels, but the car doesn't come with them, what do you think the dealer will do? Any idea? Think they might drop the price by the value of the parts?

Also, can the underspoilers be removed, or are they drilled into the body?
Old 10-11-2016, 06:21 PM   #6
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipperBizkut View Post
If the order form shows the sti under spoilers and wheels, but the car doesn't come with them, what do you think the dealer will do? Any idea? Think they might drop the price by the value of the parts?

Also, can the underspoilers be removed, or are they drilled into the body?
No they will not drop the price. Look closely at the site there will be a disclaimer someplace to protect them from errors just like that.

Of course it can be removed. it isn't structural.

Where are you seeing these as standard features? I went through the whole build thing and they never came up as features anyplace.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:39 PM   #7
FlipperBizkut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Of course it can be removed. it isn't structural.
Right. I just didn't know if they had to drill holes in the body for mounting points, if they are glued on, or what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Where are you seeing these as standard features? I went through the whole build thing and they never came up as features anyplace.
If you go to the Subaru site (USA version), then choose Build Your Own for the BRZ, I see it with the following selections:

Choose the Limited
Select the Automatic 6-Speed (it will then as if you are sure)
Confirm the Automatic
Under Accessories, drop the box to ALL

You will then see all the accessories offered. The STI Rear Quarter Under Spoiler, STI Side Under Spoiler, and 17-Inch STI Alloy Wheel Set are checked by default, and are marked as Standard underneath the price. There is no way to un-check these accessories.

Adding the Auto-Dimming Mirror with Compass and HomeLink, and Footwell Illumination Kit (how I ordered the BRZ) brings the total to $30,152. Dealer is selling it to me for invoice which is $28,327 + DocFees + Tax.

I fully expect the car to arrive at the dealership without any of the STI gear, and I'm not sure that I really even care. I think the car looks stellar with or without it. The cheap-ass in me is just curious as to what I can get out of the dealer if the parts as shown are not there.

By the way, and a bit off topic, any opinions on the price the dealer is giving me?
Old 10-11-2016, 07:43 PM   #8
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
what is the percent of the tax in your state? and what is the doc fee for this dealer? 399$? $299?

and Im confused by your post above, are you buying this car with accessories that are NOT Sti items(wheels Etc), and the car is an Automatic? and you want auto mirror, and lumination and homelink? you're basically getting half of popular package 1( minus the cargo tray and wheel locks) @FlipperBizkut

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:08 PM   #9
FlipperBizkut

Heh. Yeah, I'm getting the automatic. The only accessories I'm interested in (willing to pay for out of the gate) are the mirror and illumination kit. Not sure if there is a price break for going with the popular package 1, but I can do without the cargo tray and wheel locks.

As for the STI gear, the website leads one to believe that they come as standard equipment. If they don't, I wouldn't pay the extra for them at this time. But if they come standard, that would be great. I think the general consensus is that the website is in error, and the car will not come with that gear as standard equipment.

Again, if the car comes with the STI gear, then great. If not, great too. No big deal either way. But, in my mind, there is a dollar value associated with that gear ($2,683 according to the web site), and if it is supposed to come on the car, but doesn't, then I'm getting cheated out of that gear (again, not that I really mind, but if it says that it comes with it, then I would like to have it). Do you see what I mean?
Old 10-11-2016, 08:12 PM   #10
FlipperBizkut

And, let me also say, that the dealer didn't really provide any guidance or anything. When I told them I wanted a 2017, we basically went to the same website, saw the same thing I saw at home (and pointed out here), printed it out, and they ordered it. They mentioned nothing about any popular packages. They didn't try to up-sale anything. Nothing. Kind of strange. We just agreed on a price, I put down a $500 deposit, got a VON, and said that it would be here in December.

I also almost forgot... Doc Fees in this state are $599. My tax is 2.75%. $29,737.97 is total price (no trade in).
Old 10-11-2016, 08:42 PM   #11
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Right. I just didn't know if they had to drill holes in the body for mounting points, if they are glued on, or what.

If you go to the Subaru site (USA version), then choose Build Your Own for the BRZ, I see it with the following selections:

Choose the Limited
Select the Automatic 6-Speed (it will then as if you are sure)
Confirm the Automatic
Under Accessories, drop the box to ALL

You will then see all the accessories offered. The STI Rear Quarter Under Spoiler, STI Side Under Spoiler, and 17-Inch STI Alloy Wheel Set are checked by default, and are marked as Standard underneath the price. There is no way to un-check these accessories.

Adding the Auto-Dimming Mirror with Compass and HomeLink, and Footwell Illumination Kit (how I ordered the BRZ) brings the total to $30,152. Dealer is selling it to me for invoice which is $28,327 + DocFees + Tax.

I fully expect the car to arrive at the dealership without any of the STI gear, and I'm not sure that I really even care. I think the car looks stellar with or without it. The cheap-ass in me is just curious as to what I can get out of the dealer if the parts as shown are not there.

By the way, and a bit off topic, any opinions on the price the dealer is giving me?
Thanks. I was missing the click all step! Ya that is weird but has to be a glitch or error since the MT doesn't show those as standard and they are not mentioned anyplace else in the standard equipment list.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:46 PM   #12
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
And, let me also say, that the dealer didn't really provide any guidance or anything. When I told them I wanted a 2017, we basically went to the same website, saw the same thing I saw at home (and pointed out here), printed it out, and they ordered it. They mentioned nothing about any popular packages. They didn't try to up-sale anything. Nothing. Kind of strange. We just agreed on a price, I put down a $500 deposit, got a VON, and said that it would be here in December.

I also almost forgot... Doc Fees in this state are $599. My tax is 2.75%. $29,737.97 is total price (no trade in).
Wow, that's a really high DOC fee in that state, I don't know much about it. But If I remember correctly each state has maximum a dealer could charge on doc fees, if you want to look into it, it may be lower than the $599. On the other hand, your tax is pretty decent at a low percentage. In your case, it seems that this wouldn't be the popular package but more two accessories.

there are three popular package and two of them comes with illumination (one is Red, Two is blue) in your case if you don't need a bunch of stuff, maybe just getting the accessories is cheaper(unless the car has PPackage from port) Illumination is about $230 iirc for blue separately(red isn't an option as far as I know it's only on PP1), you could potentially get an aftermarket one from ft86speedfactory for 70$. In any case. besides all this stuff.

I think you're getting a pretty decent deal, you're basically paying for an Automatic sticker, except you're' getting out the door for that price, it's not bad. BTW Does your number above include Tax and title? It is my believe that getting a limited Automatic under the realm of 30K or alittle over isn't a bad deal. You're basically getting invoice it's not bad!

And honestly I am about 98% sure on this the 2 percent is just me not being sure about some deal that a dealer might give in a different state, but the car shouldn't come with any STI items those are add ons.

good deal, Congratulations.

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:08 PM   #13
FlipperBizkut

Thanks! I would obviously like to pay less, but the dealer basically said that they could not go lower than invoice, and would only do that because they would still make the dealer profit fee (doc fee). I figured that invoice was fair considering that I was ordering a car that just came out. It's not like I was buying something that they were trying to get off the lot. Not much incentive for a dealer to slash prices on something so new.

The doc fees apparently have no rules or caps in my state (AL) according to this site.

I live in the county so my tax rate is 2.75% vs. 4.00% in the city. So, that definitely helps. There is a "non-tax fee" of $16.50 on the quote sheet that I'm not sure about. Other than that, the price includes vehicle, doc fee, and tax.

I don't know about tags though. My guess is that it is a separate fee. I will have to look into that.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:20 PM   #14
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
if your car does come with the STI addons, then you will most likely need to pay extra for them. STI trim is not standard (meaning that it comes with the car with no extra charge) but rather an optional accessory (which means you need to pay extra if you want it). I can see the dealership withholding the car from you if it does come with the STI addons and you do not want to pay the extra price for them. however, it is an entirely different story if you already paid for the car instead of just leaving a deposit.

but if the car does come with the STI extras with no charge, then damn you just struck gold.