follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 10-20-2015, 12:53 AM   #673
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Please, for the love of God, MORE CATS!

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
M-17 (10-20-2015), Tcoat (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 01:02 AM   #674
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,673 Posts
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Garage
@Tcoat I plan on having my next cat be trained more like a dog. Just to walk it around and take it along with me and hopefully get along with a dog when the time is right.

Education is Important, but Race Cars are more Importanter
M-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:57 AM   #675
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-17 View Post
@Tcoat I plan on having my next cat be trained more like a dog. Just to walk it around and take it along with me and hopefully get along with a dog when the time is right.

Good luck with that! If you get a cat with the right personality they may do it but if they won't then they just won't.
The white one in my pics is more dog like then cat really. He plays fetch with his ball for hours, sleeps curled up at my feet like a dog and walks very nicely on his leash. That is because he decided he wanted too not because of training. The big mothern' brown one just looks at you and says (very clearly) "you want me to what? F that I have laying around to do"
Dadhawk (10-20-2015), LOLS2K (10-20-2015), M-17 (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 10:45 AM   #676
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Good luck with that! If you get a cat with the right personality they may do it but if they won't then they just won't.
The white one in my pics is more dog like then cat really. He plays fetch with his ball for hours, sleeps curled up at my feet like a dog and walks very nicely on his leash. That is because he decided he wanted too not because of training. The big mothern' brown one just looks at you and says (very clearly) "you want me to what? F that I have laying around to do"
Yeah, cats are very selective in what they will or will not do. That's why I've been looking into training methods to teach them at at younger age. My 2 previous cats were chosen to be indoor cats. I'd like my next cat to be an indoor cat too, but I'd like for them to not be afraid of the outside world. With my last cat, as she got older, I was traveling more and wanted her to come along for the rides or trips, rather than leaving her home. She got some opportunities to visit a beach, stay on a island, and casually let her roam around the big backyard. Once time, she ran away from one of my relative's home, who was suppose to watch her, and she survived a week without anyone taking care of her. Note: no one told me she was gone till the 5th day, because they thought she was hiding from them. SMDH When I returned and found her, I never seen her soo skinny. She was a fat cat at the start.
Anyway, that's part of the reason why I'd like for my next pets to gain some courage and learn to survive/brave the outside world.

The Following User Says Thank You to M-17 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 11:01 AM   #677
Tcoat

Quote:
Yeah, cats are very selective in what they will or will not do. That's why I've been looking into training methods to teach them at at younger age. My 2 previous cats were chosen to be indoor cats. I'd like my next cat to be an indoor cat too, but I'd like for them to not be afraid of the outside world. With my last cat, as she got older, I was traveling more and wanted her to come along for the rides or trips, rather than leaving her home. She got some opportunities to visit a beach, stay on a island, and casually let her roam around the big backyard. Once time, she ran away from one of my relative's home, who was suppose to watch her, and she survived a week without anyone taking care of her. Note: no one told me she was gone till the 5th day, because they thought she was hiding from them. SMDH When I returned and found her, I never seen her soo skinny. She was a fat cat at the start.
Anyway, that's part of the reason why I'd like for my next pets to gain some courage and learn to survive/brave the outside world.
Yep, haul them around young and it just becomes normal to them.
I had a cat back in the Army that went with me everywhere starting when it was 8 weeks old. That thing would never stray more then a few yards and as soon as I started up the vehicle it would jump in the cab. Didn't matter what I was driving it knew. Funniest sight in the world would be that thing sitting on the hood of an aircraft tender cleaning itself without even looking up while fighter jets and helicopters are taking off and landing all around it. My guys now would be having fits of terror but to her it was just another day at the office.
M-17 (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 11:13 AM   #678
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLS2K View Post
@Tcoat That's awesome and good to see that each cat went to a good home. I've never been an animal person, but Milo has changed me in many ways (for good). If you have any good reads/links on nutrition, proper disciplining, being a good owner, etc. I am all ears.
You have cats or dogs? Dogs I can't be of much help but cats I have extensive knowledge of diet and nutrition

(also @Tcoat dryfood is not what I would recommend, as opposed to dogs who have a natural thirst drive, cats do not and get most of the water in their diet from the food they consume; in nature that is live prey whose meat has a high content of water. Dry cat food is very low in humidity and long term can lead to some very serious digestion and kidney/bladder issues.

Water fountains aid to combat that lack of water by stimulating the thirst drive a bit but nowhere near the level of wet/canned/raw food. I know all of this because I have a Snow Bengal that has been dealing with crystals in his urine due to dry food since he was about 8 months old (to a point he was in his pet carrier one morning unable to move and had peed on himself). Even the cheapest wet food (Friskies and Fancy Feast) are regarded as much better for a cat's health than say a super premium cat food (orijen, evo, etc.). Also cats, as opposed to dogs, are obligate carnivores meaning they do not possess the capacity to properly digest carbs, plant matters, etc so it is important to find a food that gets most of its nutrients from animal based protein not plant based protein (in other words, veggies in cat food are useless, only exception being things like pumpkin for digestion, cranberry for urinary health, vitamins, etc.)

Also sadly most vets don't know what they are talking about when they recommend dry food (royal canin, hills, etc.) because for the most part, the education part of a vet will have been done directly or indirectly by the food companies themselves who obviously try to promote the food that is cheapest to produce and can still retail quite high. How can you trust the nutritional advice of someone whose knowledge mainly comes from the brand they are trying to sell you.

Feel free to let me know if anyone needs any more info
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fumanchu1 For This Useful Post:
LOLS2K (10-20-2015), M-17 (10-20-2015), Tcoat (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 11:16 AM   #679
fumanchu1

Quote:

My Bengal I cant take outside with me without a leash and just walk/chill around without fear of the cat running.

On the other hand my Munchkin cat did run away this summer for 8 days and yes he did come back slightly skinnier but without harm(actually looked like he had fun) and smelled of garbage(guess we know what he was eating)
The Following User Says Thank You to fumanchu1 For This Useful Post:
M-17 (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 11:17 AM   #680
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Garage
Quote:
Yep, haul them around young and it just becomes normal to them.
I had a cat back in the Army that went with me everywhere starting when it was 8 weeks old. That thing would never stray more then a few yards and as soon as I started up the vehicle it would jump in the cab. Didn't matter what I was driving it knew. Funniest sight in the world would be that thing sitting on the hood of an aircraft tender cleaning itself without even looking up while fighter jets and helicopters are taking off and landing all around it. My guys now would be having fits of terror but to her it was just another day at the office.
That sounds like one cool cat. I'm surprised they allowed it on the base, unless that normal? I figure dogs were the only acceptable pet for the military.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:23 AM   #681
fumanchu1

Quote:

Recommendation to keep the cat on a harness for the first few months to get him/her accustomed to the area and once you feel the cat is comfortable enough you can begin to train it. What I did for mine what walk around with a leash around the yard then at some point I would just drop the leash and see what happens. When the cat started to get a bit too far I would just step on the leash and give him a voice command (which he doesn't understand because he is retarded but he flattens himself when I do it so then its just a matter of rinse and repeat until you are certain your cat will not run and if he did that you have a way to get him to stop and flatten or return to you.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:27 AM   #682
Tcoat

Quote:
That sounds like one cool cat. I'm surprised they allowed it on the base, unless that normal? I figure dogs were the only acceptable pet for the military.
She ruled whatever base we were at. The dogs at the PMQs feared her the women loved her (I took full advantage of that) and even though against the rules to have pets in base accommodations everybody turned a blind eye. I had her with me for 3 years but had to give her to my sister when I was deployed to Lebanon with the UN. When I came back to get her my little niece was so upset I just left her with them. She lived for another 15 years and spawned about 200 kittens all of which went to good homes to make others happy.
M-17 (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #683
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu1 View Post
My Bengal I cant take outside with me without a leash and just walk/chill around without fear of the cat running.

On the other hand my Munchkin cat did run away this summer for 8 days and yes he did come back slightly skinnier but without harm(actually looked like he had fun) and smelled of garbage(guess we know what he was eating)
Poor thing. At least they braved through it too. I know my cat gets curious to go outside, but once something new creeps by, she runs right back inside the house.
I have no idea what my cat was eating, besides her body fat, so maybe bird seed, but I figured out to look around the neighborhoods that had hoses or fountains nearby and that's how I found her. What ticked me off the most, more than not being notified on her disappearance, that it didn't don on anyone to put out food or water to attract her back or let alone feed her. But i was glad she made it and glad to hear yours made it back home too.

The Following User Says Thank You to M-17 For This Useful Post:
LOLS2K (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #684
LOLS2K
/scion

Drives: '13 86 M/T
Thanked 1,402 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
@fumanchu1 I have the one cat. I did notice that when we stopped giving him wet food, he naturally started to drink more water. I also noticed that he seemed to have an upset stomach no matter which wet food I gave him (I'd change brands once a week). I made the mistake of never sending out a stool sample for testing. The vet recommended the switch over to dry food, and told us to continue to monitor his water consumption. Because I noticed that he liked the dry food, poop looked "normal", and drinking lots of water, I just accepted this method I guess.
LOLS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:34 AM   #685
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu1 View Post
Recommendation to keep the cat on a harness for the first few months to get him/her accustomed to the area and once you feel the cat is comfortable enough you can begin to train it. What I did for mine what walk around with a leash around the yard then at some point I would just drop the leash and see what happens. When the cat started to get a bit too far I would just step on the leash and give him a voice command (which he doesn't understand because he is retarded but he flattens himself when I do it so then its just a matter of rinse and repeat until you are certain your cat will not run and if he did that you have a way to get him to stop and flatten or return to you.
That's one way. I've been reading to start from indoors then work them to outside environment when they're comfortable with a leash. Then work on command. After that, its graduation to no leash. I know it won't happen over night. I'm prepared for that.

Quote:
She ruled whatever base we were at. The dogs at the PMQs feared her the women loved her (I took full advantage of that) and even though against the rules to have pets in base accommodations everybody turned a blind eye. I had her with me for 3 years but had to give her to my sister when I was deployed to Lebanon with the UN. When I came back to get her my little niece was so upset I just left her with them. She lived for another 15 years and spawned about 200 kittens all of which went to good homes to make others happy.
That's straight up awesome.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:35 AM   #686
fumanchu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLS2K View Post
@fumanchu1 I have the one cat. I did notice that when we stopped giving him wet food, he naturally started to drink more water. I also noticed that he seemed to have an upset stomach no matter which wet food I gave him (I'd change brands once a week). I made the mistake of never sending out a stool sample for testing. The vet recommended the switch over to dry food, and told us to continue to monitor his water consumption. Because I noticed that he liked the dry food, poop looked "normal", and drinking lots of water, I just accepted this method I guess.
Yeah some cats do fqir well on dry foos d if you can get them to drink but the major thing is that the drinking they are doing is to compensate for the lack of water in their diet. My cats both seemed to have upset stomachswhen we started them on wet food but it gets betrer once they get used to it. They do have more gas from being on the wett food but that doesnt seem to affect them negatively. What you could also do is if you feed the cat on a schedule (basically 2-3times a day and he eats what is in his bowl right aways, meaning there isnt any left over for hours) then you could try mixing in a bit of water with his d4y food because believe me urniary diseases and tests are costly

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to fumanchu1 For This Useful Post:
LOLS2K (10-20-2015)