follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 02-02-2015, 01:18 AM   #1471
Cheeseballs

Drives: Really slow
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is it normal for the supercharger itself to sound significantly louder upon cold start in 25° F. weather? This is my first cold season with the kit and I haven't driven my car in cold weather until yesterday. I don't have any leaks or other issues that I could see.
Cheeseballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:40 AM   #1472
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Both too loud. We need a LARGE muffler, preferably without packing and just baffling.

We got something coming we're excited about
I thought those Q300 and Perrin Catbacks were actually pretty quiet
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:59 AM   #1473
enivid

Drives: WRB JR BRZED
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltezza View Post
I have perrin but with an uel header, it's loud. Already have been yelled at by neighbors. Shakes the house. Definitely can not start it in the cold winter mornings.
enivid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to enivid For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (02-02-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 01:34 PM   #1474
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseballs View Post
Is it normal for the supercharger itself to sound significantly louder upon cold start in 25° F. weather? This is my first cold season with the kit and I haven't driven my car in cold weather until yesterday. I don't have any leaks or other issues that I could see.
You have a lot more air flowing through there than before. That's one reason. Another is, if you delete all your cats, then good game. Even a NA car would be uber loud at that point.

Quote:
Doesn't matter for exhaust. You have more air flow going through it. Just make sure you leave at least 1 cat in there otherwise it's game over for your neighbors.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG David For This Useful Post:
Cheeseballs (02-15-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 02:35 PM   #1475
Cards2323

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited-SWP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Has anyone bought the carb tune / ECUtek kit separately from the supercharger kit? There's a CARB kit (ecutek kit / carb sticker / tune from JR) that HASNT been installed on the car yet. The guy decided to go a separate route and is selling the carb tune with hardware..Just trying to figure out if theres any way to prove it hasnt been used. I have an email out to JR if it matters.
Cards2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:41 PM   #1476
CSG Mike

Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm_86 View Post
Really? the Legamax Premium? or the Spec-L?

The Q300 and the Legamax are the most quiet exhausts. And I think the Tanabe too.
Quote:
Well, when you have no cats and a free-flowing header... the noise is dramatically louder The honeycomb (square in the BRZ/FRS) of the cats kills sound waves that are longer, but when they'er gone, they get to the exhaust/muffler, and wreaks all sorts of havok on the sound level.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:42 PM   #1477
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseballs
If you haven't started the car in a while and it's super cold, yes, it's normal. Once it reaches normal operating temperature, it'll sound the same as it has always been.

Fortunately, 25F is well within the range of temperatures the supercharger is designed to work in.

Now if it gets under -40F (-40C)... you need an engine block warmer and a heat blanket for the supercharger.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Cheeseballs (02-15-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 03:43 PM   #1478
lastexile1987

Drives: Lightning Red '13 Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards2323 View Post
Has anyone bought the carb tune / ECUtek kit separately from the supercharger kit? There's a CARB kit (ecutek kit / carb sticker / tune from JR) that HASNT been installed on the car yet. The guy decided to go a separate route and is selling the carb tune with hardware..Just trying to figure out if theres any way to prove it hasnt been used. I have an email out to JR if it matters.
Its not fool proof but the seller could screenshot in ecudownloader that shows the number of flash licenses.

BTW, have you had a hard time communicating with jr? I've gone back and forth trying to buy a license and it has taken a few days to get a response? Tried calling this morning too but nobody picked up. My work schedule does not leave a lot of time to be calling sales to talk to them so I've had to depend on email
lastexile1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:44 PM   #1479
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards2323 View Post
Yes, all the Ecutek software/cables/tune are available separately.

Yes you can check if the license has been used; plug in the Ecutek dongle, and go through the directions to get the software. When you plug it into any car, if the license hasn't been used, it'll show after you "query ECU" that you have "Licenses remaining: 1". If it has been used, it'll show 0.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:50 PM   #1480
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastexile1987 View Post
Its not fool proof but the seller could screenshot in ecudownloader that shows the number of flash licenses.

BTW, have you had a hard time communicating with jr? I've gone back and forth trying to buy a license and it has taken a few days to get a response? Tried calling this morning too but nobody picked up. My work schedule does not leave a lot of time to be calling sales to talk to them so I've had to depend on email
We can help you with that.

JR does actually race, and are primarily in the racing/R&D business.

We can easily add whatever you need to our next order, or handle whatever you need in a timeframe that suits your needs.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:59 PM   #1481
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enivid View Post
I have perrin but with an uel header, it's loud. Already have been yelled at by neighbors. Shakes the house. Definitely can not start it in the cold winter mornings.
Are you running a catless setup like CSG Mike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Well, when you have no cats and a free-flowing header... the noise is dramatically louder The honeycomb (square in the BRZ/FRS) of the cats kills sound waves that are longer, but when they'er gone, they get to the exhaust/muffler, and wreaks all sorts of havok on the sound level.
So If i were to have high flow cats with a Perrin Catback would the noise level be a little more quiet? I don't think I'd mind the noise to be honest but I don't want to get any tickets or noise complaints from my neighbors, even though he's got an annoyingly loud mustang lol
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:10 PM   #1482
CSG Mike

Quote:

So If i were to have high flow cats with a Perrin Catback would the noise level be a little more quiet? I don't think I'd mind the noise to be honest but I don't want to get any tickets or noise complaints from my neighbors, even though he's got an annoyingly loud mustang lol
Any cat at all will dramatically decrease the sound level outside the car. Inside the car, YMMV.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Xerious (02-02-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 09:27 PM   #1483
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

I am NA with catless header, stock OP, high flow catted front pipe and q300 exhaust which is one of the more quiet exhausts. The car is rather grunty and deep sounding with a cold start up. Yet, with the cat back and much like the Perrin its not too bad. With this setup you get kind of a deep, low grumble that would normally be raspy and embarrassing if not for the catback. On the street you can tell I have an after market exhaust but it does not compare to cars like a Honda civic/accord with a farty sounding mufler setup. UEL adds another dimension to the tone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Boofneenee For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (02-02-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 10:09 PM   #1484
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofneenee View Post
I am NA with catless header, stock OP, high flow catted front pipe and q300 exhaust which is one of the more quiet exhausts. The car is rather grunty and deep sounding with a cold start up. Yet, with the cat back and much like the Perrin its not too bad. With this setup you get kind of a deep, low grumble that would normally be raspy and embarrassing if not for the catback. On the street you can tell I have an after market exhaust but it does not compare to cars like a Honda civic/accord with a farty sounding mufler setup. UEL adds another dimension to the tone.
My S2k almost would like to have a word with you