follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: Multiple choice: What body style would you like for the sub 86 car? (w/examples)
Hatchback (Honda Fit) 7 11.67%
Two door coupe (Nissan IDx) 23 38.33%
Drop top roadster (Mazda MX-5 Miata) 14 23.33%
Shooting-brake (BMW Z3 coupe) 16 26.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 08-22-2015, 06:46 AM   #155
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Oh why, Why?
I didn't take you as a wheeldrivest. RWD has always been easy to drive year round and many generations did it without even questioning it. This whole modern RWD elitist thought process eludes me every time it comes up.
There are many FWD cars that perform very well. I know it is unheard of on here but being able to rotate is not the be all and end all of every car for every driver.
Historically speaking the masses have never wanted car that "handles well" but cars that were comfortable and easy to drive while they went about their day to day lives. The enthusiast that wants great handling, mega speed or radical appearance are a mere fly speck in the automotive world. Always have been and always will be. To these people FWD is perfectly suitable and there is nothing wrong with that.
Oh I'm not. I love my Yaris, but you should see the looks I get from other drivers if the tail ever actually starts to rotate, which it does quite nicely with the coilovers. People totally freak out. They panic brake and think I'm going to totally lose control at the slightest sign.

I'm a huge fan of awd cars, and have been pining for a WRX STI for decades, I just don't trust the EJ's any more. I'm planning on getting one if they put the new FA in one. Not to mention the gas mileage those things get would make muscle cars blush.

I just think there needs to be more rear wheel drive options, as it is very overlooked right now. I think it is funny for someone to not understand why people on an enthusiasts forum for a rear whee drive car wouldn't get why those people would want more rear wheel drive options like @jflogerzitalked about.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-22-2015)
Old 08-22-2015, 08:38 AM   #156
Quentin

Drives: ‘16 4Runner, ‘19 Corolla HB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
I am not sure why people are so caught up on RWD. Ford proved you can make a FWD rotate nicely with the FIST. More options are always better. Simple, fun and light weight cars are going away even in the economy boxes.

I hate the means by which they make it rotate. Clamping the brake on the inner front wheel works, but it never sat right with me. It just feels artificial to me.

Sent from Tandy 400
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quentin For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (08-22-2015)
Old 08-22-2015, 09:53 AM   #157
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Oh I'm not. I love my Yaris, but you should see the looks I get from other drivers if the tail ever actually starts to rotate, which it does quite nicely with the coilovers. People totally freak out. They panic brake and think I'm going to totally lose control at the slightest sign.

I'm a huge fan of awd cars, and have been pining for a WRX STI for decades, I just don't trust the EJ's any more. I'm planning on getting one if they put the new FA in one. Not to mention the gas mileage those things get would make muscle cars blush.

I just think there needs to be more rear wheel drive options, as it is very overlooked right now. I think it is funny for someone to not understand why people on an enthusiasts forum for a rear whee drive car wouldn't get why those people would want more rear wheel drive options like @jflogerzitalked about.
Ahhhh gotcha. I totally misinterpreted your post then. I did think it odd since you have a Yaris. I always wanted an Evo but they didn't bring them to Canada until the X and then I drove way to many miles to make it a reasonable DD. I did have a 91 Talon TSI AWD that scratched that itch for a while though.
why? (08-22-2015)
Old 08-22-2015, 10:25 AM   #158
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
It should be a midengined coupe.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
abraxis (08-22-2015), M.I.A (08-22-2015)
Old 08-22-2015, 10:44 AM   #159
Levi

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
It should be a midengined coupe.

There enough mid-rear engine cars (Honda S660, Lotus, Alfa 4C, Porsche Cayman), mid-front engine cars there is only the MX-5, and it is not a coupe but only a roadster.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Levi For This Useful Post:
abraxis (08-22-2015), Tcoat (08-22-2015)
Old 08-22-2015, 10:47 AM   #160
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyota-t...kyo-89456.html

According to this article Toyota will be showing off the Small FR Concept at this years Tokyo show.

Apparently S-FR is the sub-86 car and probably does stand for Small Front-engine Rear-wheel drive: 1.5L, 130hp, and 2160 pounds not going to happen

A lot of people are going to be confused on Scion lots trying to understand the differences between the Front-engine Rear-wheel drive Sport and the Small Front-engine Rear-wheel drive cars.

I don't know why Toyota/Scion would intentionally make their sports car names so confusing to their potential customers. Seems like a dumb move unless there trying to up-sale people who were coming in for a S-FR into a FR-S playing on their ignorance.

(of course the original source is motoring so it's all probably B.S.)

Last edited by zigzagz94; 08-22-2015 at 11:02 AM.
zigzagz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zigzagz94 For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (08-22-2015)
Old 08-22-2015, 10:50 AM   #161
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
There enough mid-rear engine cars (Honda S660, Lotus, Alfa 4C, Porsche Cayman), mid-front engine cars there is only the MX-5, and it is not a coupe but only a roadster.
The S660 isn't for sale outside of Japan, and in the US we don't get the Lotus. 4C has no manual transmission, and if you're going to include that and the Cayman, then you could easily say there's plenty of FMR cars like the Z4, SLK, Corvette, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (08-22-2015)
Old 08-22-2015, 03:39 PM   #162
why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I hate the means by which they make it rotate. Clamping the brake on the inner front wheel works, but it never sat right with me. It just feels artificial to me.

Sent from Tandy 400
Are you sure that is what they do? Kind of silly when they can easily do it with suspension settings and use the electronic nannies to make sure people don't kill themselves.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:48 PM   #163
Levi

Drives: Toyota
Quote:
The S660 isn't for sale outside of Japan, and in the US we don't get the Lotus. 4C has no manual transmission, and if you're going to include that and the Cayman, then you could easily say there's plenty of FMR cars like the Z4, SLK, Corvette, etc.

Z4, SLK, Corvette are not lightweight.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:09 PM   #164
why?

companies usually trademark everything that even remotely sounds like what could possible be the same as a trademark they hold no big deal.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:34 PM   #165
abraxis

Drives: many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post

Sent from Tandy 400
Is that what they are doing? Yeah that'll work for a few laps on the track before fading out.
abraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abraxis For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (08-22-2015), WolfpackS2k (08-24-2015)
Old 08-22-2015, 07:17 PM   #166
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Correct, but it maybe coming.

Honda S660 Mini Convertible Under Consideration for U.S.

Quote:
SAN MARCOS, California — Honda is considering the stylish Honda S660 convertible, a small, affordable sports car, for its U.S. lineup, Edmunds has confirmed.

The S660 convertible is considered a "mini" by Japan's car standards. The car is 2 feet shorter than the petite Mazda Miata MX-5 convertible.

"We're looking at it intently for North America," said John Mendel, executive vice president of American Honda, in a recent interview. "We want some spice in the lineup."

Mendel said a decision to bring the car here has not been made yet. No U.S. pricing strategy has been announced.

The S660 uses a midengine, rear-wheel-drive configuration. The car has a low center of gravity as well as a 45/55 front/rear weight distribution. The top rolls back, and it can be detached and stored in the trunk. The S660's width is nearly identical to the Miata.

The S660 is the successor in Japan to the Honda Beat. Honda S660 sales began in Japan in April.

Mendel said the car is not intended to be a Miata MX-5 competitor.

The S660 is equipped with a 63-horsepower, 0.66-liter turbocharged three-cylinder engine. A 1.0-liter three-cylinder engine is rumored for the United States. In comparison, the Miata has a 155-horsepower 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine.

Several issues need to be addressed before a decision can be reached about importing the S660, Mendel said.

"It's got to be commercially viable. It's got to serve a purpose from a brand standpoint," Mendel said. "What does it do for the brand?"

Honda previously sold the Honda S2000, a two-seat, rear-wheel-drive roadster, in the U.S. Production ended in 2009.

Edmunds says: With a heavily updated mainstream lineup, it could be a good time for Honda to add a brand-building vehicle like the S660.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/hond...on-for-us.html
gymratter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:22 PM   #167
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Toyota Rumored to be Planning Street-Legal Open-Wheel Sports Car

Quote:
Toyota is rumored to have something unexpected planned for this year’s Tokyo Motor Show.

The Japanese automaker is reportedly working on an open-wheel, three-seater sports car inspired by the Lotus Seven to debut in October and sources say if the press and public approve, the company will seriously considering taking it to production.

If the rumors do pan out and Toyota debuts such a radical concept in a few months, expect it to sport a narrow front-end design, exposed suspension arms and a staggered seat layout with a center driver’s seat. The engine will be up front driving the rear wheels, while weighing just around 1,540 lbs.

Under the hood will be a 1.5-liter, four-cylinder hybrid powertrain generating around 100 hp mated to a CVT. Despite its unique design, size and power-to-weight ratio, the open-wheel sports car will target models such as the Mazda MX-5 Miata and the new Honda S660. If the project does get green light, Toyota could expedite bringing it to production with global sales starting as soon as 2018 at a price around $30,000.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ports-car.html
gymratter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:55 PM   #168
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Z4, SLK, Corvette are not lightweight.
Neither is the Cayman, which despite the 2890lb claim, generally has been weighed at 3000-3100lbs, about the same as the SLK or Z4

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Tapatalk

Tags
concept, ft86, gt86, rx7, tokyo motor show