follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #29
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
I'm having trouble picturing how a MacPherson strut design can be gaining Negative camber after the LCA passes horizontal. Once above horizontal, the LCA is effectively shorter so it should be pulling the strut inwards, tilting it towards positive. And as the strut shortens, this should increase in rate.
This would be true only if the line of action of the strut were vertical. It's not, it is canted inward at ~12 degrees or so. The wheel will gain camber until the LCA is perpendicular to the line of action of the strut, about 12 degrees beyond LCA-horizontal.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Dimman (10-04-2013), Draco-REX (10-04-2013)
Old 10-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #30
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,519 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
I drew this a while back while ZDan was helping to explain why a MacStrut isn't exactly a 1:1 motion ratio, but it also shows camber effects.

The discussion is in the 'Ask RCE and CSG Mike suspension question tag-team' thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
here ya go... a buddy of mine made this a long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
This would be true only if the line of action of the strut were vertical. It's not, it is canted inward at ~12 degrees or so. The wheel will gain camber until the LCA is perpendicular to the line of action of the strut, about 12 degrees beyond LCA-horizontal.
Thanks guys, that makes a lot more sense to me. I was missing the perpendicular to the strut angle thing..

Hmm... Need to do some thinking.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #31
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
ALso, here is a MacPherson design used in a Lotus racing car.

I can guarantee you that under compression these thigns gain an ample amount of camber

i'd say pre-aero days this would have been a fantastic design.

-
Old 10-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #32
autobrz

Drives: Mazda 3
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I only drive around on the street but even then I can appreciate a better setup suspension than stock. optimal static camber for maximum lateral grip level of the stock tires; more front roll stiffness from springs and less from sway bars will make steering response more linear and feel more supple. Having more bump travel in the rear will make taking bumpy corners so much more confidence inspiring. I've had quite a few instances on the street where the rear momentarily lost traction in the middle of a corner when hitting a bump, not to mention when the rear hits the bumpstops full-on, the chassis bounces off the bump stops and the whole car wiggles left to right.

there is so much I can improve on the stock setup that will make the car better without upsetting the balance and I only drive on the street... I see most bad setups start at very low ride height with not stiff enough spring rates or the use of too big sway bars...
autobrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:37 AM   #33
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
here ya go... a buddy of mine made this a long time ago.

Excellent gif. It took me a second to realize what I was looking at. I think the pause in the animation threw me off a little because it looks like I'm looking at the rebound effect rather than the compression effect.

Based on this animation, one can infer that macpherson struts gain negative camber under rebound when the LCA and strut are past the perpendicular point. Not really useful when you're cornering since you want the outside wheel to gain negative camber and not the inside wheel.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:52 AM   #34
ayau

So all else equal, if you lower the front of the car, you'd want to increase spring rate to minimize the LCA and the strut from being perpendicular under compression.

Assuming @ZDan's suspension model is accurate, the front keeps gaining negative camber up until 4'' of compression. However, that doesn't take into account body roll, which changes the angle of the strut. That 4'' of bump travel is actually less when you take into account body roll, right?

Then you also have to take into account caster, which can change the amount of camber when cornering. More caster equals more negative camber under bump. I'm sure there are other variables as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears you want the front to be as stiff as possible when tuning macpherson struts (ignoring all other factors). From a pure performance standpoint (ignoring cost, packaging, etc), double wishbone appears to be the superior design. I guess that's why Formula One still uses it.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:01 AM   #35
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
So all else equal, if you lower the front of the car, you'd want to increase spring rate to minimize the LCA and the strut from being perpendicular under compression.
no, if you lower the car, the LCA angle will change period, upping the spring rate will do nothing for that because it is a function of mechanical geometry.

Quote:
double wishbone appears to be the superior design. I guess that's why Formula One still uses it.
F1 uses the design because it packages better

but otherwise, F1 suspension design laughs and farts and throws beer bottles in the general director of production vehicle suspension theory.

so you should NEVER draw any conclusions of F1 design and production cars. If you want to immitate a racing body.. watch what the rally guys do.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:07 AM   #36
ayau

So by adding camber plates and adding negative camber, you're essentially changing the angle of the strut. This means you increased the negative camber bump travel to greater than 4", right? Let's assume zdan's model is accurate.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:13 AM   #37
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Quote:
So by adding camber plates and adding negative camber, you're essentially changing the angle of the strut.
yes, but do it too much and wonky things start happening during steering
Old 03-28-2014, 01:15 PM   #38
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
There's some debate about whether it's better to add camber at the topmounts (camber plates) or at the lower strut mounting point (camber bolts). Using plates pushed in gives you a higher roll center and can improve camber curve. However, it also increases the SAI which has a negative effect on camber when you turn the steering wheel.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (03-28-2014)
Old 03-10-2019, 02:08 PM   #39
PadSprouts

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wow, this thread was very informative and exactly what I needed!

So since FR-S engineers added less negative camber to the front, this helps break out of a slide easier? (harder to oversteer?)
PadSprouts is offline   Reply With Quote