follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-15-2016, 02:44 PM   #1
Kuzuri
__(X)__

Drives: '11 Legacy, '89 190E, '78 GS1000
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Scion FR-S Steering Problems

Hey everyone, I have a 2013 FR-S that I bought brand new way back in 2012. I have done quite a bit of modifications to it over the last 4 years and have been able to quickly diagnose and fix any problems I have experienced along the way. I haven't driven my car a whole lot this year but the times I have driven it, I notice that the steering doesn't feel like it used to. We all know how the car feels when giving steering input. My problem is that now, the car feels almost unpredictable when giving input (I drive backroads frequently and reach speeds of 80+ in corners). It's almost "laggy" if I can describe it that way.

So, when I am entering a corner and start to turn, it's like I can physically feel all the parts in the car turning, but then the actual car itself follows afterwards, instead of immediately. When I swerve back and forth I feel the parts moving but the car sways behind that input, somewhat how older cars feel when you just turn the wheel back and forth while driving, but with more of a pull to it.

Also, when hitting higher highway speeds (75-80+) the car wants to wander around the lane slightly, and definitely is very noticeable at 120+. I have never been iffy about taking my car up to that speed, but now it just does not feel safe. I am certain something is wrong with my car, but I just don't know what it could be.

I thought maybe it something in the suspension or tires at first. I checked all tire pressures and they are fine (EDIT: Tires are Hankook V12 Evo2's and have less than 3k miles on them). I am running BC type BR coilovers and I checked them out and they seem to be fine. Sway bar end-links were all tight.

Next thought is possibly alignment or something physically wrong with the steering system?

Any input on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-15-2016, 02:50 PM   #2
Trust86

Drives: 2016 Halo FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Bushings?
Trust86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 03:07 PM   #3
FTA_Dave

Drives: 2013 Frs, E46 Bmw
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My first thought would be blown struts. Have you checked for oil leaks around the coil overs? Take the car in for an alignment check, explain what you are feeling and have them check over the suspension thoroughly. Sometimes it's easier to spot the issue with the car on the drive on hoist at ride height. On a side note, what trunk spoiler are you running ? It looks sick!
FTA_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:51 PM   #4
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Someone else mentioned similar strange feelings running the same tires: www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107534

So, tires maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:21 PM   #5
Spacemane969

Drives: 2013 ARGENTO A/T
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have the exact same symptoms after changing to the Hankook v12s, I'm positive that they are the culprit. I'm trying to get rid of these as soon as possible, I'm around 3-4k miles on them also.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107534

Edit: ^^ Whoops, hey thats me! haha
Spacemane969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:31 PM   #6
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Hi ya,Kuzuri ............

Good looking machine you have there.

80 mph on Wisconsin backroads ...... I hope you don't catch a deer ......

What's wrong with your car?

Maybe waaaaay too much camber ......

You might try upping the pressure in the tires about 5 psi, to see if that reduces the squeaminish.

Like mentioned, it may be time for a good front end check up ...... before you toss the tires .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:29 AM   #7
DasFrs

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Red FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Where are you in wisconsin that you have actual corners?
Looking for more places to go other than Spring Green..
DasFrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:59 AM   #8
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Jack up the car and try to move the wheel to see if there is any play. Possibly tie rods, or the soft sidewall hankooks.
Any changes since it last felt ok?

BTW what over fenders are those?
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:07 AM   #9
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
No input on problem, just sayin

Sharp car!
Old 08-16-2016, 08:33 AM   #10
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuzuri View Post
I haven't driven my car a whole lot this year but the times I have driven it, I notice that the steering doesn't feel like it used to. We all know how the car feels when giving steering input. My problem is that now, the car feels almost unpredictable when giving input (I drive backroads frequently and reach speeds of 80+ in corners). It's almost "laggy" if I can describe it that way.
I recently went from the stock rims and tires to 18x9.5 rims with PSS tires and immediately had the same result. The wider front rims and tires killed the feel of the steering and made it mushy. I had read that it would affect it, but it affected it a lot more than I was expecting.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:37 AM   #11
KendallH

Drives: 2013 FR-S Base, 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Wide tires and camber. Also this is in the wrong section.
KendallH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:14 AM   #12
Hot-Lava_Dave

Drives: 2016 Hot Lava MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Does your car possibly fall into that recent recall for power steering?
Hot-Lava_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:20 AM   #13
MarkR171

Drives: '05 Elise
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
I recently went from the stock rims and tires to 18x9.5 rims with PSS tires and immediately had the same result. The wider front rims and tires killed the feel of the steering and made it mushy. I had read that it would affect it, but it affected it a lot more than I was expecting.
Odd. I have 17x9 wheels and 245 PSS. No mushiness at all, in fact, the opposite due to the PSS' stiff sidewalls.

ex '15 Scion FR-S
MarkR171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:31 PM   #14
Kuzuri
__(X)__

Drives: '11 Legacy, '89 190E, '78 GS1000
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust86 View Post
Bushings?
I can look into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTA_Dave View Post
My first thought would be blown struts. Have you checked for oil leaks around the coil overs? Take the car in for an alignment check, explain what you are feeling and have them check over the suspension thoroughly. Sometimes it's easier to spot the issue with the car on the drive on hoist at ride height. On a side note, what trunk spoiler are you running ? It looks sick!
The coilovers seem fine. I checked them for oil and loose bolts when I had the car jacked up. I mean I guess it's still possible. I have about 40k on the suspension. The spoiler is the Speedhunters KM4SH piece. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Someone else mentioned similar strange feelings running the same tires: www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107534

So, tires maybe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemane969 View Post
I have the exact same symptoms after changing to the Hankook v12s, I'm positive that they are the culprit. I'm trying to get rid of these as soon as possible, I'm around 3-4k miles on them also.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107534

Edit: ^^ Whoops, hey thats me! haha
I have been feeling like the tires might be the cause. I have been running the same size Evo 1's for 3 years on the same size wheels and never had a problem. I didnt drive my car hard this year before getting new tires so I cant say for sure that the issue wasn't there before switching to the Evo2's but I definitely have noticed it since switching.

Do you think Hankook would do anything for us if we brought a few people to their attention that are experiencing these issues with the same tire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Hi ya,Kuzuri ............

Good looking machine you have there.

80 mph on Wisconsin backroads ...... I hope you don't catch a deer ......

What's wrong with your car?

Maybe waaaaay too much camber ......

You might try upping the pressure in the tires about 5 psi, to see if that reduces the squeaminish.

Like mentioned, it may be time for a good front end check up ...... before you toss the tires .....

humfrz
Definitely not my camber. I have had the same set up for 3 years without a problem. My car has done drift days, drag strip passes, and general hooning and runs on the backroads. This problem is very recent and unrelated to the fitment of my wheels. I added an extra 5 psi to the tires when I checked them and it didn't help. Thank you for the suggestion though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasFrs View Post
Where are you in wisconsin that you have actual corners?
Looking for more places to go other than Spring Green..
I live in Boscobel, so you're not too far. Spring Green isn't a bad area though. You can head out towards Lone Rock/Avoca and hit that road that goes next to the River, or you could go out to Gotham and cut over to Muscoda. The road I am talking about that I hit 80mph through corners runs between Woodman and Prairie Du Chien. The first half is kind of rough but the second half you can really fly through the corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
Jack up the car and try to move the wheel to see if there is any play. Possibly tie rods, or the soft sidewall hankooks.
Any changes since it last felt ok?

BTW what over fenders are those?
I tried this and didn't notice anything wrong. The only physical change from when it felt okay has been tires. I'm just not sure if maybe a certain bump could have knocked something out o maybe the coilovers have just gone bad

The over fenders are from Garage Vary. Very subtle but add a little bit extra. I'm happy with them for now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardsFRS View Post
No input on problem, just sayin

Sharp car!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
You have mushy response from wider front wheels? That's odd. I have run a square setup the entire time I've had the car and found the opposite to be true. My car is snappy and has quick turn in and sometimes gets a little too squirrely when sliding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot-Lava_Dave View Post
Does your car possibly fall into that recent recall for power steering?
I didn't know there was one? More info?
DasFrs (08-17-2016), humfrz (08-16-2016)