follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-28-2020, 07:33 PM   #15
SynrGG

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
You would have to ask the alignment shop why they couldn't get it closer. LCA's will help with camber, you would need new toe links if there is not adjustment in your current ones.

Could be your tire, I can't tell what those are but I would take compound over size. And then combine that with an overly stiff suspension setup. BR's look like they have 8k springs.
last time i got it done i believe they told me that's as close as they could get it because of my toe arms maybe, i cant quite remember. but i am on stock toe end links and lca as well. everything else is stock besides my front adjustable end links. when i put those on i put them to match stock end links.

i don't believe there is adjustment in my current ones.

i am running just a cheap tire right now, i bought them really quick just to get my wheels on. so they are just like a 500 dollar set. could that have to do with my issue maybe?

my next round of tires i was gonna actually spend some money on some decent tires. yeah i believe my BR's came with 8k springs

Thank you again for all of the help and info
SynrGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:46 AM   #16
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Well, stock primacies are not exactly grip kings either. And OP posted, that prior coilover install handling was fine and car gripped better (i guess, on these very same tires?).
From alignment printout there are some things i'd prefer a bit differently, like a bit more front camber (which should add more grip during cornering and reduce reported understeer in later posts), and a bit more even side-to-side rear toe-in, but it doesn't look THAT off, to greatly decrease grip, to greatly reduce cornering speed for even DD.
Hence my guesses (have no own experience with BC, except hearing that they are on cheap side thus one shouldn't expect much from damping quality), that problem comes from thing that changed, i.e. coilovers.
Might be from overlowering (judging by extra camber in rear. Reduced travel, more on bumpstops?) + stiff rates of new coilover set (less compliance, not just less comfort, but also less grip for overloaded tires).
I'd probably try reduce lowering, if it's possible with these coilovers (realignment won't hurt) and try a bit softer damping settings on them. There is little to do to change spring rates (as imho bying softer spring set for these BC .. not exactly shocks i'd wish to invest much in). And for future to consider only better quality coilovers, if changing at all. Stock shocks often are better then cheapest end of chinese/taiwanese ones, hence it's not exactly "upgrade" in such case, netting one only blinger look and ability to overlower.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:04 AM   #17
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynrGG View Post

i am running just a cheap tire right now
I would start here. What tire did you get exactly?

Next up i'd try to get some toe links and rear lower control arms to correct toe and camber.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:21 AM   #18
churchx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynrGG View Post
last time i got it done i believe they told me that's as close as they could get it because of my toe arms maybe, i cant quite remember. but i am on stock toe end links and lca as well. everything else is stock besides my front adjustable end links. when i put those on i put them to match stock end links.
Well, changing toe changes camber and vice versa. If you don't have means to adjust camber (as mentioned, that no LCAs), then i'd concentrate on getting toe even & right, even if camber differs. Usually one feels more handling impact from toe settings then camber, so even if later for sake of getting former right differs by some 0.5deg, that's not that big of an issue.
Then again, imho it's not just alignment, that made your car skiddier. Nor tires (if i get it right, when you had stock shocks/springs, it was still on these same tires, no?)
Old 07-29-2020, 06:08 PM   #19
SynrGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay88 View Post
I would start here. What tire did you get exactly?

Next up i'd try to get some toe links and rear lower control arms to correct toe and camber.
alright i ordered toe links and lca today, and this is the current tire i'm running.

LEXANI - LXUHP-207
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2020, 06:09 PM   #20
SynrGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Well, changing toe changes camber and vice versa. If you don't have means to adjust camber (as mentioned, that no LCAs), then i'd concentrate on getting toe even & right, even if camber differs. Usually one feels more handling impact from toe settings then camber, so even if later for sake of getting former right differs by some 0.5deg, that's not that big of an issue.
Then again, imho it's not just alignment, that made your car skiddier. Nor tires (if i get it right, when you had stock shocks/springs, it was still on these same tires, no?)
no when i was on stock shocks and springs i was on a 225 tire 45 17 tire, and just running a cheap rep wheel that was 17x8
Old 07-29-2020, 06:25 PM   #21
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
LEXANI - LXUHP-207

Those are 500TW. I would say it is mostly tire.
norcalpb (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 06:29 PM   #22
SynrGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
LEXANI - LXUHP-207

Those are 500TW. I would say it is mostly tire.
so its probably just my cheap ass tires, causing this issue, i mean i figured it might be but i wasnt sure. because i have never had any problems on a 225 tire, but i also was running Continental extreme contact DWS06

so pretty much upgrade my tire and i would be good?
Old 07-29-2020, 06:34 PM   #23
churchx

Hmm, chinese something of very hard rubber and high threadwear? Then yes, more then possible that extra skidding introduced by their lack of grip. I wonder why i assumed that tires were same and issues needed to be searched elsewhere :/.
You experimentally found out known fact, that tire model/compound >> width, as your 265 gripless tire provided noticeably less cornering grip then previous narrower tires of quality model from premium manufacturer.
And yes, your alignment didn't seem that off. Imho proper tires should fix reported handling issues. It's not that there were issues with car, it's just you tried by habbit to drive/push car as much as in past, even if tires have noticeably less grip now, thus same turns should be taken slower, one should brake sooner, be more gentle with accelerator and so on .. think of it like driving in winter . Where same way even on best of tires average grip level is lower, but most know that and consciously just push less.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:38 PM   #24
SynrGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Hmm, chinese something of very hard rubber and high threadwear? Then yes, more then possible that extra skidding introduced by their lack of grip. I wonder why i assumed that tires were same and issues needed to be searched elsewhere :/.
You experimentally found out known fact, that tire model/compound >> width, as your 265 gripless tire provided noticeably less cornering grip then previous narrower tires of quality model from premium manufacturer.
Hey i had to do what i had to do to get to the bottom of it, because i just wasn't entirely sure but i appreciate all the help and helping diagnose what is going on with my car