follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 12-02-2014, 08:08 AM   #1
cliff p.

Drives: '15 BRZ series.Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OFT vs. non-OFT definitions

Good morning everyone.

I had a failed attempt at flashing an OFT Stage 1 map to my '15 BRZ yesterday afternoon. I am not new to flashing, or tuning for that matter. What concerns me is that there are different variations of definition files floating around out there, one from github repos, and another from OFT's website.

When using ECUFlash to load a map, I am assuming you will want to use the OFT definition file that matches the specific bin (D00C in my case). For whatever reason, I ended up with the github definition, which caused many issues (checksum failures, write failures, CEL's, limp mode, etc.). Starting the car and audible running was very loud, and she was dumping fuel with CEL's.

After I tried to flash the stock map back to the ECM, the vehicle would refuse to respond (no start at all).

I brought my tuning laptop back up to my office and pulled the stock rom from this thread in addition to the definition file and 32bitbase file, and the flash took and I was back on the road.

With all of the above being said:
OFT OTS tunes go ONLY with the OTF definition when using ECUFlash, correct?

I'm going to attempt to flash again, probably this evening. I need to make sure that I'm using the correct files so that I can begin my own specific tuning.
cliff p. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff p. View Post
Good morning everyone.

I had a failed attempt at flashing an OFT Stage 1 map to my '15 BRZ yesterday afternoon. I am not new to flashing, or tuning for that matter. What concerns me is that there are different variations of definition files floating around out there, one from github repos, and another from OFT's website.

When using ECUFlash to load a map, I am assuming you will want to use the OFT definition file that matches the specific bin (D00C in my case). For whatever reason, I ended up with the github definition, which caused many issues (checksum failures, write failures, CEL's, limp mode, etc.). Starting the car and audible running was very loud, and she was dumping fuel with CEL's.

After I tried to flash the stock map back to the ECM, the vehicle would refuse to respond (no start at all).

I brought my tuning laptop back up to my office and pulled the stock rom from this thread in addition to the definition file and 32bitbase file, and the flash took and I was back on the road.

With all of the above being said:
OFT OTS tunes go ONLY with the OTF definition when using ECUFlash, correct?

I'm going to attempt to flash again, probably this evening. I need to make sure that I'm using the correct files so that I can begin my own specific tuning.
Lucky boy :-)

OFT roms are not always the calid they appear, that is why they have special OFT romraider definitions.

If you have an Open flash tablet it does not require a definition to flash so its not a problem for OFT users as long as they use the OFT specific romraider definitions when editing.

ECuflash requires a definition and it must match the rom you are trying to flash.

Do not rely on the name of the rom file as OFT roms may be changed internally. you will need to examine rom with hex editor to see if the D00C rom is actually a D00C.

Did you update ecuflash to latest version and have latest 32bitbase and defs for first flash attempt ?

Ecuflash and romraider definitions are completely different and not interchangeable
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #3
cliff p.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Lucky boy :-)

OFT roms are not always the calid they appear, that is why they have special OFT romraider definitions.

If you have an Open flash tablet it does not require a definition to flash so its not a problem for OFT users as long as they use the OFT specific romraider definitions when editing.

ECuflash requires a definition and it must match the rom you are trying to flash.

Do not rely on the name of the rom file as OFT roms may be changed internally. you will need to examine rom with hex editor to see if the D00C rom is actually a D00C.

Did you update ecuflash to latest version and have latest 32bitbase and defs for first flash attempt ?

Ecuflash and romraider definitions are completely different and not interchangeable
VERY lucky. Was definitely an "oh S*&^" moment or two

I downloaded ECUFlash from Tactrix (1.44 with beta in the filename), and installed it. Then I grabbed the 32bitbase file from the above link, and IIRC I used the wrong definition file (ZA1CD00C, without the OFT_ prefix).

When I get home this evening (left both my tuning laptop and my tablet at home to keep me from fidgeting with the car at work), I'll check the definition file from the OFT zip I re-downloaded last night. I grabbed the 2.06 zip file from OFT's download section, and haven't modified anything so I'm assuming their D00C definition file is safe to use with their OFT STG 1 D00C map. Will still hex edit for confirmation.

I'm chomping at the bit to get some e85 going, but having a hard time finding a station relatively close by.

Thanks for the quick response, more to follow this evening if I have a moment to sort through some things.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:29 AM   #4
steve99
Banned

Quote:
VERY lucky. Was definitely an "oh S*&^" moment or two

I downloaded ECUFlash from Tactrix (1.44 with beta in the filename), and installed it. Then I grabbed the 32bitbase file from the above link, and IIRC I used the wrong definition file (ZA1CD00C, without the OFT_ prefix).

When I get home this evening (left both my tuning laptop and my tablet at home to keep me from fidgeting with the car at work), I'll check the definition file from the OFT zip I re-downloaded last night. I grabbed the 2.06 zip file from OFT's download section, and haven't modified anything so I'm assuming their D00C definition file is safe to use with their OFT STG 1 D00C map. Will still hex edit for confirmation.

I'm chomping at the bit to get some e85 going, but having a hard time finding a station relatively close by.

Thanks for the quick response, more to follow this evening if I have a moment to sort through some things.
Unless your going to edit/alter rom with romraider you dont need romraider definitions.

You just need the corresponding ecuflash definition. however as some oft roms are calid hacked the rom name does not always represent the actuall rom structure.

Always open the rom in ecuflash and check some of the tables like the OL FUEL table and the Base TIMING B table chech the values are realistic and the axis are realistic. if the tables look like gibberish or the values look weird DO NOT Flash the rom and definition are mismatched.

ECUFLASH has its own specific definitions. do not use romraider or oft romraider definitions with ECUFLASH.

when looking with hex editor check their are three instances of the calid like ZA1JD00C and all should be same. but still check some tables before flashing.

You can read a rom with ecu flash without a definition but you cannot write one without a definition.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:36 AM   #5
cliff p.

Quote:
Unless your going to edit/alter rom with romraider you dont need romraider definitions.

You just need the corresponding ecuflash definition. however as some oft roms are calid hacked the rom name does not always represent the actuall rom structure.

Always open the rom in ecuflash and check some of the tables like the OL FUEL table and the Base TIMING B table chech the values are realistic and the axis are realistic. if the tables look like gibberish or the values look weird DO NOT Flash the rom and definition are mismatched.

when looking with hex editor check their are three instances of the calid like ZA1JD00C and all should be same. but still check some tables before flashing.

You can read a rom with ecu flash without a definition but you cannot write one without a definition.
Yep, I'm aware of the ECU Flash reading from ECM without definition. Quite honestly I was a bit "giddy" and just ran through things too quickly. I will definitely be more thorough this evening when reflashing the ECM.

Now to find an e85 station close by. I've been looking for what seems like years, but never really cared for it until having an N/A car that could really benefit from it.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #6
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
steve99 covered it all perfectly. Only thing I'll add to this discussion is to note that the 2.x OFT definition for your D00C file are actually based on the B01C definition. If there are maps you need to pull from the github versions that aren't on the OFT 2.x one, make sure you're sourcing it from the B01C version, or your addressing will be all out of whack.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Foobar For This Useful Post:
cliff p. (12-02-2014)
Old 12-08-2014, 03:58 PM   #7
Toyota John
Calle Atun

Drives: 13 FRS, 93 Mr2, 85 ae86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Where do i get a hex editer?
Toyota John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:29 PM   #8
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota John View Post
Where do i get a hex editer?
their are free one on internet try one called hexedit or fred,, search something like free hex editor download
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Toyota John (12-08-2014)
Old 12-08-2014, 06:37 PM   #9
cliff p.

So a bit of an update... With a fresh install of ecuflash on another tablet, the 32bitbase file from the above link in the OP, and the 2.06x oft bins and definitions. I placed the D00C definition into the rommetadata directory, and placed the STG 1 93 bin on my desktop.

When connecting initially to the vehicle, the "read from ecm" blue icon illuminates and I can pull the ROM from the ECM. So I know the vehicle and PC are communicating.

When I select the bin to flash to the ecm, the blue "read" icon disappears, and the flash to ecm icon never shows up.

I don't remember ever having this many issues with a tactrix cable and ecuflash on previous vehicles (Saab 92x, 08 wrx, 04 wrx, 05 wrx, 04 STi, etc)

Is there some hidden voodoo I am missing?
Old 12-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #10
cliff p.

Shit I just re-read what I wrote and now I'm slapping myself. The oft definition D00C should NOT be placed into the BRZ/2012 directory in ecuflash. So what definition should I use? I haven't found a D00C XML to use with the oft stg 1 bin. When I located one that I thought would work, I ended up with the checksum error and bad flash.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #11
cliff p.

Still no dice. This is nuts.

Once done writing the bin to the ecu, ecuflash gives me "failed with errors". Log states " Checksum routine start refused".

Leaving the car in the on position, I flash the ROM I pulled before starting the retune and it flashes fine...

I'm at a loss.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:46 PM   #12
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Shit I just re-read what I wrote and now I'm slapping myself. The oft definition D00C should NOT be placed into the BRZ/2012 directory in ecuflash. So what definition should I use? I haven't found a D00C XML to use with the oft stg 1 bin. When I located one that I thought would work, I ended up with the checksum error and bad flash.
You need to use ECUFLASH defs not romraider or OFT defs with ECUFLASH.

Romraider defs for romraider

Ecuflash defs for ecuflash

they are not interchangeable.

Also OFT roms maybe calid adjusted.

Mate your a lucky boy your using the wrong defs with ECUFLASH to flash

use these for ECUFLASH to flash, and check some tables like OL FUEL table and BASE TIMING B before you flash to see they all look ok

If you using OFT V2x maps use these

https://github.com/TD-D/SubaruDefs/tree/OFT

but since your rom is rearly new is not in their so

open your OFT rom with a hex editor check their are three instances on ZA1JD00C in the rom and they are all the same if they are all the same it not a calid hacked rom

get the D00C def from here click raw then save as

https://github.com/TD-D/SubaruDefs/t...20standard/BRZ

insert the def in /brz/2012 directory. the def name must be as per github site ZA1JD00C.xml

open the oft D00C rom in ecuflash check a few tables to make sure all looks ok. if they look suspect or contain rubbish dont flash rom something is still wrong.

make sure you have the latest 32bitbase file as well.

It should then flash ok.

make sure you let ECUFLASH correct the checksum if it asks.

Last edited by steve99; 12-09-2014 at 01:04 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:43 AM   #13
cliff p.

Quote:
You need to use ECUFLASH defs not romraider or OFT defs with ECUFLASH.

Romraider defs for romraider

Ecuflash defs for ecuflash

they are not interchangeable.

Also OFT roms maybe calid adjusted.
I understand. That isn't quite what I was getting at.
Quote:
Mate your a lucky boy your using the wrong defs with ECUFLASH to flash

use these for ECUFLASH to flash, and check some tables like OL FUEL table and BASE TIMING B before you flash to see they all look ok

If you using OFT V2x maps use these

https://github.com/TD-D/SubaruDefs/tree/OFT
This is the source for the definition file I used. Specifically: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/TD...Z/ZA1JD00C.xml

Quote:

but since your rom is rearly new is not in their so
Correct, there isn't a ROM, per say. The definition file that is needed for my ROM is in there though. I pulled the OEM rom from the ECM, and receive no errors when reviewing/reading the rom with the correct XML file from the above link. I also know that the definition is working because I am able to re-flash the OEM rom back to the ECU without error.

Quote:
open your OFT rom with a hex editor check their are three instances on ZA1JD00C in the rom and they are all the same if they are all the same it not a calid hacked rom
I did this when I first encountered an issue. There are indeed 3 instances of ZA1JD00C. I also did a quick file compare between the factory rom, and the STG 1 ROM to determine if they were located in the same area of the bin, and they are.
Quote:
get the D00C def from here click raw then save as

https://github.com/TD-D/SubaruDefs/t...20standard/BRZ

insert the def in /brz/2012 directory. the def name must be as per github site ZA1JD00C.xml
Wait, what? Why would the definition need to be in the brz/2012 directory? Shit this may be why I'm encountering issues? I have been placing the definition into the ~/brz/2015 directory, since I had assumed it to be logical. For instance, why would I want a 2013 or 2014 definition in the 2012 directory?
Quote:
open the oft D00C rom in ecuflash check a few tables to make sure all looks ok. if they look suspect or contain rubbish dont flash rom something is still wrong.
Done. Verified that table properties are correct, there's nothing wonky or out of the ordinary. I went so far as to do a file compare and the only maps modified were the fuel, fuel trim, timing, and avcs maps if memory serves me well.

Quote:

make sure you have the latest 32bitbase file as well.

It should then flash ok.

make sure you let ECUFLASH correct the checksum if it asks.
Yes, latest 32bitbase from the TD-D github repo. ECUFlash does not ask about checksums, it only reports the checksum routine start refused, and failed with errors.

If I'm supposed to ignore the placement of the definition and place it into the 2012 folder regardless, that is what I will do.

I'll be satisfied yet pissed if the issue was due to me assuming to create a folder for the 2015 MY BRZ, and placing the xml into that folder.

More to follow.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #14
steve99
Banned

Quote:
I understand. That isn't quite what I was getting at.

This is the source for the definition file I used. Specifically: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/TD...Z/ZA1JD00C.xml

Correct, there isn't a ROM, per say. The definition file that is needed for my ROM is in there though. I pulled the OEM rom from the ECM, and receive no errors when reviewing/reading the rom with the correct XML file from the above link. I also know that the definition is working because I am able to re-flash the OEM rom back to the ECU without error.

I did this when I first encountered an issue. There are indeed 3 instances of ZA1JD00C. I also did a quick file compare between the factory rom, and the STG 1 ROM to determine if they were located in the same area of the bin, and they are.

Wait, what? Why would the definition need to be in the brz/2012 directory? Shit this may be why I'm encountering issues? I have been placing the definition into the ~/brz/2015 directory, since I had assumed it to be logical. For instance, why would I want a 2013 or 2014 definition in the 2012 directory?

Done. Verified that table properties are correct, there's nothing wonky or out of the ordinary. I went so far as to do a file compare and the only maps modified were the fuel, fuel trim, timing, and avcs maps if memory serves me well.

Yes, latest 32bitbase from the TD-D github repo. ECUFlash does not ask about checksums, it only reports the checksum routine start refused, and failed with errors.

If I'm supposed to ignore the placement of the definition and place it into the 2012 folder regardless, that is what I will do.

I'll be satisfied yet pissed if the issue was due to me assuming to create a folder for the 2015 MY BRZ, and placing the xml into that folder.

More to follow.
you are correct it wont matter if the def is in the 2012 or 2015 directory, i just said 2012 as its the one that exists :-). Just make sure you dont have duplicate or old defs in other directories.

oft roms are not all checksum corrected, so if ecuflash wants to correct checksum then let it.

did the flash work ??