follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-30-2023, 09:00 PM   #1
Dububster

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Clutch Replacment?

I figured I would ask before I spent the money to get the clutch replaced because I am not 100% sure it is the clutch. After long drives, my clutch slips quite a bit in first gear when taking off, and the car shakes a ton. But it never slips when the clutch is cold or just being driven around town. Does the clutch simply just need to be replaced, or is it possibly something else?
Dububster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 09:39 PM   #2
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Mileage? What RPM level do you take-off at? Does the clutch slip in 5th at WOT from 3k RPM-ish?
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 09:51 PM   #3
Dububster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
Mileage? What RPM level do you take-off at? Does the clutch slip in 5th at WOT from 3k RPM-ish?
The clutch only has about 18k miles on it, which is why I am not so certain it's that, but my brother/dad have driven it at times and REALLY roasted the clutch because of how weird the clutch is on our cars and how not used to it they were. 69k miles on the car. No, it doesn't slip in 5th at WOT from 3k miles. I take off at a low RPM, maybe 1.8k rpm? I always take off at the same rpm, and it's never high.
Old 04-30-2023, 10:00 PM   #4
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Garage
Seems like normal use cases. Maybe uneven deposits from being driven overly-hard/improperly?

Stock or aftermarket clutch?

The stock full organic clutch disc is pretty resilient.
Old 04-30-2023, 10:09 PM   #5
Dububster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
Seems like normal use cases. Maybe uneven deposits from being driven overly-hard/improperly?

Stock or aftermarket clutch?

The stock full organic clutch disc is pretty resilient.
Okay, it's a stock clutch. I also wanted to add that what I mean by slipping in first gear is if I don't rev it significantly higher than normal when moving from a stop, the car will shake a ton like it's about to stall; the lights have flickered too at times during this too. But again, this only happens after long trips or the clutch has been heated up by bad driving.
Old 04-30-2023, 11:06 PM   #6
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Garage
Yeah I'm not too sure. Maybe someone else will chime in with more insight.

I've had "chugging" when RPMs dip too low and the car is getting lugged, but that was on aftermarket clutch kit.

1800 RPM held seems pretty reasonable; maybe try raising take-off RPM a little bit to 2000 and see if it persists
The Following User Says Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
Dububster (05-01-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 09:23 PM   #7
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dububster View Post
Okay, it's a stock clutch. I also wanted to add that what I mean by slipping in first gear is if I don't rev it significantly higher than normal when moving from a stop, the car will shake a ton like it's about to stall; the lights have flickered too at times during this too. But again, this only happens after long trips or the clutch has been heated up by bad driving.
So you say it's slipping, but you describe the exact opposite.

What do you mean by "If I don't rev it significantly higher than normal" ? What's significant" what's normal? If I had to put words to what you're describing, it sounds like choppy engagement at idle?

There could be a number of reasons for that, some related to the clutch and some not. The throttle could be caked up and the computer has trouble compensating for the load at idle, the clutch may not be worn but you could have overheated spots on the flywheel or pressure plate, engagement could feel harsh if the throwout bearing is binding on the colar, likewise if the clutch disc is contaminated.

It's really hard to get a feel for a clutch via text.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RZNT4R For This Useful Post:
Ohio Enthusiast (05-02-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 10:16 PM   #8
Dububster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZNT4R View Post
So you say it's slipping, but you describe the exact opposite.

What do you mean by "If I don't rev it significantly higher than normal" ? What's significant" what's normal? If I had to put words to what you're describing, it sounds like choppy engagement at idle?

There could be a number of reasons for that, some related to the clutch and some not. The throttle could be caked up and the computer has trouble compensating for the load at idle, the clutch may not be worn but you could have overheated spots on the flywheel or pressure plate, engagement could feel harsh if the throwout bearing is binding on the colar, likewise if the clutch disc is contaminated.

It's really hard to get a feel for a clutch via text.
I see, I'll probably just take it into a shop. Normal is what I said above, taking off at around 1800 rpm, but when I am experiencing this issue I have to take off a lot higher maybe around 2500 rpm to not almost stall. What confuses me the most is that it doesn't happen on drives shorter than maybe 25 miles, I've narrowed it down to what I think is the clutch because if I deliberately heat up the clutch by driving it like I am new to manual (taking off at maybe 3000 rpm and getting it to smell)the symptoms will happen immediately after that.
Old 05-02-2023, 05:50 AM   #9
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
If your normal is taking off at 1800, damn, maybe you do have some hot spots because "normal" should be barely above idle...

These cars are actually pretty hard to stall and gladly hook up at idle with no throttle at all.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RZNT4R For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (05-02-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 12:23 PM   #10
chipmunk

Drives: _
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
You describe something similar to what happened to me when I had old oil. If I recall correctly, it threw an error code for the VVT, perhaps lack of enough pressure.
Does it feel like the vibrations/shudders come from the footwell or somewhere else?
chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 01:30 PM   #11
Dububster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZNT4R View Post
If your normal is taking off at 1800, damn, maybe you do have some hot spots because "normal" should be barely above idle...

These cars are actually pretty hard to stall and gladly hook up at idle with no throttle at all.
You’re right that was an overestimate, I’m by no means launching my car and am taking off a little higher than ideal, but maybe there are hot spots from previous mistakes?
It’s interesting you say that because I’ve and everyone else who has driven my car think that it is extremely easy to stall, when I first bought the car and when I had the clutch replaced the first time. Even after driving my car for the past 4 years I’ve found it SIGNIFICANTLY easier to stall than say a wrx, evo, 370z, civic. If I try to get going without using throttle I have to release the clutch very very slow to not stall.
Old 05-02-2023, 01:34 PM   #12
Dububster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunk View Post
You describe something similar to what happened to me when I had old oil. If I recall correctly, it threw an error code for the VVT, perhaps lack of enough pressure.
Does it feel like the vibrations/shudders come from the footwell or somewhere else?
In regards to oil i don’t think it can be, if you are talking about engine oil I replaced it 2800 miles ago and had a oil analysis done and it was perfect. I want to say the vibrations come from the transmission because my shifter will shake violently but it’s hard to pinpoint because the whole car kinda shakes. There’s a lot a sort of chatter sound which sounds like it’s coming from the trans.
Old 05-02-2023, 01:41 PM   #13
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
You sure it's not tires slipping?
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tokay444 For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (05-26-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 02:20 PM   #14