follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 09-18-2017, 11:57 PM   #1
Whooosah

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Coilover ride height changing while driving?

My car has tein flex z and I noticed the right front seems to be getting lower after a few weeks of driving. I raised it again yesterday and noticed 2 things.

The lower locking ring doesn't sit quite as flush against the angled thrust ring even though it is as tight as I can make it. Maybe possible its partially stripped near the bottom.

When I was adjusting preload as I increased preload the spring perch begins to turn with the spring also turning the shaft and top nut. I played around with it and the top nut seems to be tight and the whole shaft moves when I turn the spring perch. Is this normal?

Pretty sure Im not imagining things as the gap between the bottom locking ring and 2 spring rings is definitely smaller than when I first installed it...(I think) Has anyone had an issue like this or can advice what I should look for? I'll probably pull the whole strut off and look it over again if the ride height slips again.

Update:

I looked at again today and all the preload had come out of the left side and it was my lower spring perch rings that were loose after a track day of driving.
The tein spanner wrenches have holes for a 1/2 drive wrench so I hooked up my torque wrench for more leverage and was able to snug everything down better than just using my hands. I'm pretty sure this was the issue. I was able to torque the bottom lock ring better to sit flush with the thrust washer also with more leverage.

Last edited by Whooosah; 09-21-2017 at 06:16 PM.
Whooosah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:37 AM   #2
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,010 Times in 1,387 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You can always mark original position with speck of paint, to see if parts/rings/whatever had moved.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Whooosah (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 02:26 AM   #3
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
This is the 2nd thread I have seen about this with Teins.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122105

You may just have to check them as part of your regular maintenance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
Whooosah (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 11:36 AM   #4
Whooosah

Thanks for the link! I'll keep an eye on it. I just did a track day on it after adjusting it and I think some of the preload came out and lowered slightly. I'll have to pull it off and take a better look at it to see what exactly is happening.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:46 AM   #5
BigTuna

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I have these as well but have not had any movement after tightening the lock rings.

It can sometimes take a few weeks for the suspension to completely settle.

I was able to flatten my lock washer but it took a lot of cranking.

As for preloading the spring, yes, it is normal to have the strut rod start spinning as the pressure increases. However, do not let it just keep spinning. This can lead to a prematurely blown shock. Really, once this starts happening, the preload is set anyway, so it's not necessary to keep applying preload.

In your instructions it has some basic measurements of where the preload should be.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:33 PM   #6
Whooosah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTuna View Post
I have these as well but have not had any movement after tightening the lock rings.

It can sometimes take a few weeks for the suspension to completely settle.

I was able to flatten my lock washer but it took a lot of cranking.

As for preloading the spring, yes, it is normal to have the strut rod start spinning as the pressure increases. However, do not let it just keep spinning. This can lead to a prematurely blown shock. Really, once this starts happening, the preload is set anyway, so it's not necessary to keep applying preload.

In your instructions it has some basic measurements of where the preload should be.
Thank you very much!

That helps a lot. If my ride height is slipping it must be because I can't get the bottom locking collar all the way down.. or the 2 locking spring perch isn't tight enough it looks like from the other thread you've got to really lock them.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:40 AM   #7
ozone42

Drives: SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Looks like I'm reviving a zombie here, but wanted to add a voice for future people having problems.

I've had the tein flex a's on for about 4 months now. I can't seem to get the fronts locked down. Over a few weeks, the perch mount will loosen up, eventually lowering the car on its own.

Backs have not budged a mm since I set them.

Getting ready to throw them away.
ozone42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:20 AM   #8
Whooosah

Put the spanners on a big torque wrench and crank harder. Worked for me
The Following User Says Thank You to Whooosah For This Useful Post:
VIP BRZ (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 04:27 PM   #9
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,032 Times in 2,999 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
People think coilovers just magically stay there at whatever ride height you set and don't require maintenance.

If anything, adjustable coilovers require more maintenance than normal spring/shock, you should be checking them at least once a month if you daily drive the car.

Some designs incorporate a locking mechanism to prevent the bottom from moving, but it's still no excuse to not check on them. If you don't want to maintain coilovers, then don't buy them or go back to nonadjustable (height) spring/shock setups.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Tristor (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 05:50 PM   #10
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,010 Times in 1,387 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I recall seeing one of such DIY magical locking mechanism to prevent moving of locking rings. Taping over shock bottom/over teethed locking rings with duct tape.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote