follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-13-2021, 10:17 PM   #15
matt88
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 GTS Manual
Location: Australia
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Can you take the transmission with the is350 engine?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Well you COULD, but then it would be auto, if that's your thing. I don't think there were ever any manual trans used in the ES/IS350, Mark X etc.

The Rayhall page linked above says they used the RA62 manual from the IS250. The IS250 was only ever a 2.5 litre car. They did also use it in the 220d diesel model which I'm guessing had more torque though. My concern might be that the RA62 may not be strong enough but hey, they've used it in the Rayhall build with plenty of boost and there aren't any comments that it has failed, so who am I to argue.

I think that there would be plenty of bolt-up options though, even if you had to buy a kit of some sort, to easily bolt something like a Tremec or CD009 up to the Toyota engines. I'm sure it must have been done before. But that then ruins the point of my original idea to try and keep it as Toyota as possible.
matt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 10:20 PM   #16
Ashikabi
Senior Member
 
Ashikabi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Drives: 2013 FR-S
Location: Northwest Iowa
Posts: 7,322
Thanks: 454
Thanked 4,513 Times in 2,931 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt88 View Post
Well you COULD, but then it would be auto, if that's your thing. I don't think there were ever any manual trans used in the ES/IS350, Mark X etc.



The Rayhall page linked above says they used the RA62 manual from the IS250. The IS250 was only ever a 2.5 litre car. They did also use it in the 220d diesel model which I'm guessing had more torque though. My concern might be that the RA62 may not be strong enough but hey, they've used it in the Rayhall build with plenty of boost and there aren't any comments that it has failed, so who am I to argue.



I think that there would be plenty of bolt-up options though, even if you had to buy a kit of some sort, to easily bolt something like a Tremec or CD009 up to the Toyota engines. I'm sure it must have been done before. But that then ruins the point of my original idea to try and keep it as Toyota as possible.
Supra Mk4 transmission?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 12:46 AM   #17
matt88
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 GTS Manual
Location: Australia
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Supra Mk4 transmission?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Yeah I guess!

I will have a dig around and see if they are easy to find around here.

Wikipedia says it was built by Getrag?
matt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:56 AM   #18
Ashikabi
Senior Member
 
Ashikabi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Drives: 2013 FR-S
Location: Northwest Iowa
Posts: 7,322
Thanks: 454
Thanked 4,513 Times in 2,931 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt88 View Post
Yeah I guess!



I will have a dig around and see if they are easy to find around here.



Wikipedia says it was built by Getrag?
Yes Getrag built those

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changing my gearbox fluid. Redline MTL or Redline MT-90 ? daniloneil8 Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 5 08-24-2021 11:34 AM
FS. Case of 12 Redline D6 ATF FastWhite Mechanical Maintenance and Tools 1 12-07-2015 01:03 AM
Redline 360 z3ro User/Vendor/Sponsor Reviews, Feedback, Comments 2 07-17-2014 09:49 AM
FS: Redline MT-90 BMWDavid Transmission and Driveline 3 01-07-2014 08:52 AM
redline kendalldwhite Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 5 08-26-2012 02:12 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.