follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 03-22-2021, 11:36 PM   #29
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,248 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Oh MAN that sucks. So sorry to hear it. But thanks for the update.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:58 PM   #30
Turfer

Drives: Scion
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
A fun fun little moment

https://www.flickr.com/photos/191423.../shares/Je676g
Turfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 12:03 AM   #31
Turfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Oh MAN that sucks. So sorry to hear it. But thanks for the update.
They will update with vids. We are required to have cameras in the car.

R
Old 03-27-2021, 02:06 PM   #32
ML

Drives: 13 White MT FR-S
Thanked 1,121 Times in 518 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turfer View Post
damn thats a fast miata. Nice little battle

Build Thread https://www.instagram.com/mount_tele_lion/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
I swear I will punch your car if you put these on. Right in the face.
ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 02:45 PM   #33
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,452 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turfer View Post
My car is still a daily... No thanks but very cool

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 11:05 PM   #34
Turfer

The last few weeks have been a real whirlwind for me. I have towed nearly 2500 miles during that time. Getting the car finished enough to run at Thunderhill was nearly a miracle. I made it back home and then headed off to a regional race in Portland the very next weekend. We have several weeks with no races, so recovery, and preparation on the car and trailer for the upcoming races is in order.

This was was my bedroom for several of race weekend nights.

Figured out we had a total toe in of 1 5/16" in the rear after Thunderhill. No wonder the car felt challenging.

I dialed the toe in back to mostly correct in the paddock but that induced a lot more negative camber.

Portland was a light entry and as the weekend went on cars broke and people left. Quite a lonely paddock.

In fact after Sunday morning qualifying I decided to leave as well as heavy rain was 100 percent coming. Only one car in our group stuck around.

Had an issue with the fender liner getting wadded up due to the brake ducting pushing the liner into the sidewall of the tire. I had to cut back the liner to relieve this.

And

Using the brakes to hard and ending up with lots of ABS. These cars do not require much pedal effort which I am not used to. The spotting marks are signs of the ABS activating. I was much better on Sunday morning and the rotors cleaned up quite a bit.

With the "extra" negative camber and me missing the rear toe slightly, the car moved around more than I would like in the braking zones. That being said, I starting to get comfortable in the car and I dont think my times are too far off where I need to be once I mount the stickier A7's.

Went to Colin's place today. A group of us co-own scales and Colin has them at his place. We dialed in the setup today. The toe and camber are tits on and we should be ready to rock-n-roll when we hit the track for the Portland Majors in May.

Anyone that is town May 15-16, the restrictions have currently been relaxed and spectators are allowed in again, so come out and have some fun with us.

Rick

Last edited by Turfer; 04-06-2021 at 01:48 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turfer For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (04-11-2021), rice_classic (04-04-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 11:33 PM   #35
Turfer

A few weeks before the next event. So a little trailer work. I have been stacking tires in the truck and trailer for years. Always having to move them out of the way one direction or another. I bought a side rack a few years ago but it was too large so just use it in garage.
As of this morning after the snow melted:

I ordered some shoring beams a little more e-track to make a tire rack over the trunk of the car. I do not have a high ceiling in the trailer, so things are tight. I do have a decently long dove tail to the trailer though.

Used but look like new, saved decent $$$.

I string tested to worst condition. It is going to be close.

E-Track and beams are in

A couple of tires:

It clears with some margin. Yeah!!

Final look:

All good, right? Nope. The trailer extender ramp braces ran into the tires. Cannot close the trailer door.

Unloaded the car, removed the wheels and tires, moved the shoring beams forward which reduces the gap to the roof of the car. Luckily still had ample room to drive on without issues.

Last edited by Turfer; 04-14-2021 at 11:58 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turfer For This Useful Post:
Goingnowherefast (04-10-2021), NoHaveMSG (04-11-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 11:41 PM   #36
Turfer

Tomorrow I plan to rebuild the OBD2 port which has been plaguing us for the last few weeks.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:12 AM   #37
Turfer

Totemo and Rice_Classic and I went in on a parts car this weekend for some immediate needs and future needs.

Rice_Classic borrowed an open deck trailer from another of our friends and we brought this to my place. A gentle? roll over.

Pretty light when you look at this side.

Totemo who had his door and fender damaged badly in Thunderhill left with the door and fender in the same cooler as his car.

Before he left we removed the rear subframe, engine, trans, and some other small bits.

The car is almost completely stripped now and will be heading off the recycler soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turfer For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (04-21-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 01:30 AM   #38
Turfer

Well sometime has gone by since my last update. We have raced at Hoosier Super Tour at Portland and the Majors at Pacific Raceways.

I only did one of the two days at Portland as I am Race Steward for another organization here in the NorthWest (ICSCC otherwise known as Conference) and didn't feel I should play hooky to days in a row. Leaving this race and the one prior at Portland definitely cost me points in the SCCA Western Conference but that only means I will start each qualifying session at Indy a little deeper.

Fuel cans are more than just a place to hold your fuel. Snacks and drinks on the fuel barrel.

Portland went well but the steering wheel angle shifted suddenly again during qualifying. Spent the time between quali and the race looking over the entire front end but could not find anything wrong. Ran the race and loaded up to head north.

I got us some windshield banners.

Totemo found some asphalt.

Portland Saturday in car:

Turns out all the issue was in the rear. The rear camber adjusters bolts need to be really really tight. Long wrench tight.

Onto Pacific:
rice_classic and I did the test day. The alignment stayed put. We did low 1.36's and thought we were doing great because we thought the previous track record was a 1.35.9. Turns out rice_classic set the track record the year before at 1.34.885. Memory hurts as you get older, lol.
Setting up on Friday.

Nice little group shot of Saturday morning.

Saturdays short race was pretty uneventful. We went over our setups, adjusted and prepped the cars for Sunday AM qualifying. I feel I get the car now and was able to place it on T4 pole with a lap just .014 off the current lap record.

Nice pic from Turn 5a

Led quite a few laps in the race but worked my back behind rice_classic and Totemo but we finished very close together on the track and our fastest laps were separated by only .026.

Pacific Sunday video.

Next race will be at Indy. Until then I will do test days to keep the seat warm. And there is still some small things to do to the car and trailer.

Last edited by Turfer; 06-10-2021 at 11:17 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Turfer For This Useful Post:
captain awesome (06-09-2021), NoHaveMSG (06-09-2021), villainous_frx (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 02:56 PM   #39
BAM_Nyblodx16

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Awesome build!

can't wait to one day build my own SCCA spec and get out and join you fun havers!

I will be following this post, good luck at the next race!
BAM_Nyblodx16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 04:21 PM   #40
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Drives: 14 FRS K24 swap - SOLD
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I feel your pain on the rear adjuster being loose. I had it happen twice on the passenger rear, and eventually just went back to stock arms. Luckily at my ride height I was still within the camber specs I was seeking, but no longer had issues with massive toe and camber changes while on course. In your instance I'm sure the type of arm chosen was based on rules. If possible you should paint mark them after tightening and consider a pre-check before each session. I have a feeling this will just happen again regardless of long wrench tightness, but hopefully I'm wrong.
captain awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:27 PM   #41
Turfer

The T4 rule set does spec the lower control arms kit. So for now we have to live it. I definitely went with paint marking. There was no movement at Pacific but that track doesn't have rumple strips.

I will be at a test day at Portland a week from now. We will see if the rumple strips cause the movement. If they do, I will drill a hole in the eccentric adjustor flat and lock it in position.

FYI, I updated the race video in the post above. It works now.

Come look us up at the track. Portland is another weekend away June 19-20.
Old 06-19-2021, 03:59 PM   #42
JAS4

Drives: 2020 BRZ Limited PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for showing me your car and talking shop about T4 yesterday at PIR. Very kind. I like what you guys have going on there! - Jason
JAS4 is offline   Reply With Quote