follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 02-01-2021, 06:09 PM   #15
blakkoutdarko

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 (Raven)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
The headlight is held in place by a plastic bracket that kind wraps around it, the tabs of the bumper clip into that bracket. If you broke that bracket (and that's what you picked up pieces of), yes, the body shop will need to remove the bumper to replace that bracket. Breaking that bracket would also let the headlight move a little, possibly without breaking the headlight.

But, since you're saying you picked something up off the ground and not off the undertray, I'm thinking your car might have had the bumper gap service performed. Are the clips you picked up little metal tabs?

If the headlight doesn't wiggle, try lining up the rectangular tabs with the slot they push into, and see if the bumper will pop back into place.
The headlight doesn’t wiggle and no they clips I picked up were little black plastic tabs. And they guy I asked who has the same model as me asked to show me the bracket but I don’t think I did enough damage to get behind there to show him
blakkoutdarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 06:36 PM   #16
pope
has a funny hat

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Okay, so it sounds like you'll need a new bracket for around the headlight and/or the bracket on the fender. The headlight is probably fine and probably didn't move; the gaps look to all be the bumper being out of place. You'll need to pop the bumper off to know for sure, but the headlight bracket is something like $50 and the fender bracket something like $20.
It's all fixable.
pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pope For This Useful Post:
blakkoutdarko (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 06:46 PM   #17
blakkoutdarko

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 (Raven)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
Okay, so it sounds like you'll need a new bracket for around the headlight and/or the bracket on the fender. The headlight is probably fine and probably didn't move; the gaps look to all be the bumper being out of place. You'll need to pop the bumper off to know for sure, but the headlight bracket is something like $50 and the fender bracket something like $20.
It's all fixable.
Just finished getting the new tire installed. With the few pics I provided and what you think might need fixing hypothetically speaking what would you say is a reasonable quote?
blakkoutdarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:37 PM   #18
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
my guess is about $4k with a replacement headlamp.

head on over to a body shop and see what they say. with the tire already repaired, there's nothing mechanically demanding that you use any specific body shop, and they're always willing to give quotes.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:43 PM   #19
pope
has a funny hat

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I'm guessing the bumper cover and bracket(s) plus paint and labor will run ~$1,000 based on the bumper related portions of a recent estimate I had done. I don't know how rates in your state are versus mine, so that really is a guess.
The bumper cover itself is $417.48 from Toyota (as posted earlier).
The bracket around the headlight is actually only $26.16 and the bracket on the fender is $6.81 from Toyota (I must have been thinking pair prices earlier). Whether or not you need one or both of these will be determined with the bumper cover off. There are some additional brackets needed to install a new cover that are riveted to the cover, but those should be reusable from the damaged cover.

Finding a matching cover in a salvage yard is another option.
pope is offline   Reply With Quote