follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 01-31-2021, 10:25 PM   #1
blakkoutdarko

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 (Raven)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Got into slight accident..can I get some advice?

So last month (12/14/20) I finally purchased my baby (2017 Toyota 86) after months of working hard to get her. I've been getting used to driving manual as this is my first car with a manual tranny. And I feel like a dumb** for f*cking it up backing out of my driveway. I usually ALWAYS back into my driveway but I didn't last night. After the wash and wax I gave her this evening I decided to take her for a little store run but my neighbors were having a party and their guests were parked all down our street but its a typical thing from them so I didn't think anything from it. There was a Toyota pickup that was parked on the street and its front was kind of blocking our driveway but with how small these cars are I thought maybe I could finesse it while reversing..that didn't go so well. His pickup truck is totally fine but he had like a metal plate like thingy under the front of his truck that left a pretty bad gash in my fender, slashed my front right tire and threw my headlights out of place. After I told my neighbor about it he apologized and the party was done after that. I'm trying not to get insurance involved so my insurance doesn't go up. But god damn this reminds me why I only like to drive my car unless I REALLY need to. The tire pressure warning light on the dash came on as well. I plan on getting a new tire tmrw but do you guys think my baby will ever look good as new if I take it to a body shop? I don't plan on driving to work so I might get a flatbed to come tow it to a tire shop to slap a new one on. *not sure as to why the images came up rotated when uploading but pls bare with me*
Attached Images

Last edited by blakkoutdarko; 02-01-2021 at 12:03 AM.
blakkoutdarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:20 PM   #2
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Wipe your tears, live with it or fix it, and go on.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
blakkoutdarko (02-01-2021), humfrz (02-01-2021), soundman98 (02-01-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 11:53 PM   #3
blakkoutdarko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Wipe your tears, live with it or fix it, and go on.
yeah ur right..after chilling out I just came to terms with moping about it isn't going to help. i'll just take this L till I get it fixed
The Following User Says Thank You to blakkoutdarko For This Useful Post:
Sapphireho (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 11:59 AM   #4
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Put air in the tire and see if it holds. If yes then drive to the tire store and have them inspect it. Then go to a good body shop and have them give you an estimate, ask for recommendations for a good body shop in your area from locals. If you do not know any body go to a local car meet.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ls1ac For This Useful Post:
blakkoutdarko (02-01-2021), humfrz (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 12:12 PM   #5
CBR600RR

Drives: Raven Black
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Hopefully it was an outdoor party. People shouldn't be hosting indoor parties during a pandemic - political views aside...

Also, when a car is parked on the street, I am pretty sure there is a law regarding how far a car must parked away from a driveway. 1.5 meters here in Ontario, Canada. Not sure this would pass the fault on to the truck owner though, even if he was parked too close.
CBR600RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 12:15 PM   #6
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Oh, as said, get the tire fixed/replaced and have a body shop fix the damaged body part(s).

You aren't the only one that has backed into something with a twin......

After it is fixed up, it will be as much fun to drive as ever -

I backed into a pickup truck a few months back and I find my FR-S still fun to drive (I can't see the dent from the drivers seat) -

YES, YES, I WILL get it fixed someday -
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
blakkoutdarko (02-01-2021), Wally86 (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 12:32 PM   #7
pope
has a funny hat

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
New 86 front bumper cover is $417.48 from Toyota. Add roughly that much again for refinishing labor and paint, probably more since the hood and fenders will likely need some work as well for a proper blend (extrapolating potential cost based on time allocated to the bumper in an estimate I have for repainting my entire car). Done right it'll as good or better than new.

Are you sure there is something wrong with the headlight? Your picture looks like the bumper cover just popped off its clips.
pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pope For This Useful Post:
blakkoutdarko (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 02:48 PM   #8
blakkoutdarko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ac View Post
Put air in the tire and see if it holds. If yes then drive to the tire store and have them inspect it. Then go to a good body shop and have them give you an estimate, ask for recommendations for a good body shop in your area from locals. If you do not know any body go to a local car meet.
Currently getting it towed to a tire shop since I don't a air pump for my car just yet, but yeah I've asked a car guy who's local who has the same car about body work. I might go thru him. But thanks for the logical response
Old 02-01-2021, 03:00 PM   #9
blakkoutdarko

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Oh, as said, get the tire fixed/replaced and have a body shop fix the damaged body part(s).

You aren't the only one that has backed into something with a twin......

After it is fixed up, it will be as much fun to drive as ever -

I backed into a pickup truck a few months back and I find my FR-S still fun to drive (I can't see the dent from the drivers seat) -

YES, YES, I WILL get it fixed someday -
haha yeah I'm trying to have a pretty zen attitude about it, its not the end of the world

its just after how long I was outside washing and waxing it to perfection.. then that happened is what left me feeling defeated but that's life
humfrz (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 03:17 PM   #10
blakkoutdarko

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
New 86 front bumper cover is $417.48 from Toyota. Add roughly that much again for refinishing labor and paint, probably more since the hood and fenders will likely need some work as well for a proper blend (extrapolating potential cost based on time allocated to the bumper in an estimate I have for repainting my entire car). Done right it'll as good or better than new.

Are you sure there is something wrong with the headlight? Your picture looks like the bumper cover just popped off its clips.
yeah bro, it went out of place by a nudge *I still can't find a fix for these photos to be uploaded correctly :/*
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2021, 03:20 PM   #11
blakkoutdarko

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR600RR View Post
Hopefully it was an outdoor party. People shouldn't be hosting indoor parties during a pandemic - political views aside...

Also, when a car is parked on the street, I am pretty sure there is a law regarding how far a car must parked away from a driveway. 1.5 meters here in Ontario, Canada. Not sure this would pass the fault on to the truck owner though, even if he was parked too close.
it was but I 100% agree with you esp during these times..

and my only response to that is sadly I live in Florida
CBR600RR (02-02-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 04:32 PM   #12
pope
has a funny hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakkoutdarko View Post
yeah bro, it went out of place by a nudge *I still can't find a fix for these photos to be uploaded correctly :/*

Rotate them on your phone before uploading them. It's a quirk of the EXIF data. Even if it appears the way you want it on the phone, the data tags are not always right. I've frequently had to rotate a photo CW then CCW to the original orientation for the upload to turn out the way I intended; you can check by previewing the post before submission to see if the photos will look correct or not.

To the point of my question of whether the headlight was actually moved, the pictures make it appear that the bumper is unclipped (one of the tabs is visible) rather than the headlight being moved. Both can certainly be true. Expect to need new headlights if it was moved though; there is not much movement available to the headlight housing without breaking the hard mounting points.
The Following User Says Thank You to pope For This Useful Post:
blakkoutdarko (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 04:48 PM   #13
blakkoutdarko

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
Rotate them on your phone before uploading them. It's a quirk of the EXIF data. Even if it appears the way you want it on the phone, the data tags are not always right. I've frequently had to rotate a photo CW then CCW to the original orientation for the upload to turn out the way I intended; you can check by previewing the post before submission to see if the photos will look correct or not.

To the point of my question of whether the headlight was actually moved, the pictures make it appear that the bumper is unclipped (one of the tabs is visible) rather than the headlight being moved. Both can certainly be true. Expect to need new headlights if it was moved though; there is not much movement available to the headlight housing without breaking the hard mounting points.
So even if my headlights still work fine you think maybe I might run into problems later? And yeah I picked up the clips that came out from the bumper off the ground. If I take it to a body shop wouldn’t they just have to remove the bumper and pop the headlight back in place, or is it more complicated than that?
Old 02-01-2021, 05:35 PM   #14
pope
has a funny hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakkoutdarko View Post
So even if my headlights still work fine you think maybe I might run into problems later? And yeah I picked up the clips that came out from the bumper off the ground. If I take it to a body shop wouldn’t they just have to remove the bumper and pop the headlight back in place, or is it more complicated than that?
The headlight is held in place by a plastic bracket that kind wraps around it, the tabs of the bumper clip into that bracket. If you broke that bracket (and that's what you picked up pieces of), yes, the body shop will need to remove the bumper to replace that bracket. Breaking that bracket would also let the headlight move a little, possibly without breaking the headlight.

But, since you're saying you picked something up off the ground and not off the undertray, I'm thinking your car might have had the bumper gap service performed. Are the clips you picked up little metal tabs?

If the headlight doesn't wiggle, try lining up the rectangular tabs with the slot they push into, and see if the bumper will pop back into place.