follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
diss7
Banned

Drives: AE86, 2x GT86, TE27
Thanked 1,179 Times in 522 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tein suspension. YUNOMOREPOPULAR ??

Wondering why the tein range hasn't been more popular?

Considering the range, pricing, and not made in Taiwan, I'm surprised.

I'm going to give them a try, for one good reason, tein have a local agent/distributor.

Also the edfc items do look pretty trick.

I reckon I'm going to go for the street advance kit. Prefer the springs rates over the street flex. Street flex have camber top hats, but this is where a lot of the noise with coilovers comes from, so not so much of a negative using the stock top hats. Also, can dial in enough camber with camber bolts.

I've used tein before and had no complaints; although I'm by no means a guru. I like how they have a full range of options for exactly what you intend to use the car for.

For me in NZ (so prices are NZD, landed to my door)
D2s are $1300
Tein street advance are $1400, plus $500 for edfc
BCs are $1500
MCA Blue are $2000
Anything super like ohlins, over $4k; can be $5k.

Haven't decided if I'll get the edfc, although I do like what I read about it. I'd almost just get it to feel like Knight Ryder. "Adjusting dampers Michael"

I was going to go MCA, but they annoyed me last week when I was over there to pick a set up.

Not looking for validation, this is what I'll get. But I am interested why others haven't gotten them? It's probably more a case of local availability I'm guessing.
diss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
well tein makes some decent products and some garbage products so be careful. also the edfc is a toy at best and is all but a complete waste of money.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
Symmetrical

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
EDFC is useful if you track the car often and want to switch between a track setting and a street setting. I don't know what fatoni is talking about, but it comes in real handy if you have a car in which it's a pain to change the rear settings. I wish I had it on my RSX-S when I had to literally take off the rear panels just to get to the rear shocks.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Look up the thread about how TEIN treated a forum member when he lent them his car for research and parts development...that was the start of TEIN being irrelevant in this community.

The other part...there are so many better alternatives in this market.
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (08-24-2013), Mr. (08-27-2013)
Old 08-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #5
diss7
Banned

I read the thread about how that member was treated. Not good, but at the same time, two sides to every story.

Also, it makes no sense to me to write off a brand entirely based on one persons experience. When I experience bad service, I just take my business elsewhere.

Realistically, when I read that thread, all I was thinking was "what was/wasn't agreed on paper" clearly nothing was. Contracts are there to protect you. If you don't think you need one, don't get all butt-hurt when things don't work out. A simple contract stating what is being offered to tein by the owner, what tein are allowed and not allowed to do with the car, whether they're paying for expenses/consumables, and ultimately what tein are offering for compensation. Other wise it's all he said she said.

I'd like to know the difference between the street flex and street advance kits; other than the spring rates and the top hats. Do the street advance still have a full travel range as the street flex's do? Are there any other differences?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diss7 For This Useful Post:
armythug (08-28-2013), Symmetrical (08-24-2013)
Old 08-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
diss7
Banned

Also, these forums are full of 'repeaters'. What I mean by that, is that one person can put up an opinion about something, 200 people read it, and. Then you have 200 people stating the thing, which can appear as if that one incident has happened 200 times.

While I encourage open discussion, differing opinions, and learning of others experiences; I would ask that unless you actually have some substance behind such statements as "they're crap", its hard for then not to assert that you e just come to that conclusion by reading about someone else's opinion, and then succumbing to the perceived peer pressure on forums to agree with what is good and what isn't.

Not a direct dog at anyone. But just an overall FYI, that people like myself will assume and ultimately ignore people that make posts in this manner.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to diss7 For This Useful Post:
Alamexico (09-08-2013), Ammonia (08-29-2013), Anthony (08-25-2013), Anthonytpt (08-26-2013), armythug (08-28-2013), Rayme (08-29-2013), Symmetrical (08-24-2013)
Old 08-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,846 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
I see what you mean, and I definitely think you have a point. But at the same time I do think it was an epic flub on Tein's part to treat a prototype tester like they did.

The platform is so new, and in this day and age everyone is posting on forums/social media about how they were treated by a company either good or bad.

Think about how many people read that post and decided to go with a different company. It really would have been in Tein's best interest to ensure the prototype tester's experience was flawless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diss7 View Post
Also, it makes no sense to me to write off a brand entirely based on one persons experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
BlueDubbinTDI (08-24-2013)
Old 08-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #8
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symmetrical View Post
EDFC is useful if you track the car often and want to switch between a track setting and a street setting. I don't know what fatoni is talking about, but it comes in real handy if you have a car in which it's a pain to change the rear settings. I wish I had it on my RSX-S when I had to literally take off the rear panels just to get to the rear shocks.
whats more useful than an edfc on a track is spending an extra $500 on your coilovers but thats just my opinion.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatoni For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (08-25-2013)
Old 08-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #9
Agent_86

Drives: 13' FRS Asphalt MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I actually bought the Tein street flex coilovers. They came yesterday. I will be installing them next week. I couldn't find many reviews on this coilover, but i figure that's because the street flex model came out a few months ago while most other coils have been out for a year now. The reason I went with these is because I wanted to buy something better than all those $900 "affordable" coilovers that has filled the market. At the sometime I couldn't afford high performance coils that are well over $2000. The street flex specs look solid on paper. Have a moderate price, and tein is an established name in the suspension market. Those are the reasons I pulled the trigger on these.
Agent_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:50 PM   #10
Symmetrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
whats more useful than an edfc on a track is spending an extra $500 on your coilovers but thats just my opinion.
That's reasonable, but convenience is a pretty high cost too and for some people its worth it.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #11
Symmetrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_86 View Post
I actually bought the Tein street flex coilovers. They came yesterday. I will be installing them next week. I couldn't find many reviews on this coilover, but i figure that's because the street flex model came out a few months ago while most other coils have been out for a year now. The reason I went with these is because I wanted to buy something better than all those $900 "affordable" coilovers that has filled the market. At the sometime I couldn't afford high performance coils that are well over $2000. The street flex specs look solid on paper. Have a moderate price, and tein is an established name in the suspension market. Those are the reasons I pulled the trigger on these.
I used to have Tein Flex on my RSX-S and my WRX and both lasted years without issue. Even sold them to new owners, one of them being my friend with another RSX-S and still has them to this day.

Of course I'm just one case scenario, but in my experience they have been pretty solid.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:34 AM   #12
diss7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
I see what you mean, and I definitely think you have a point. But at the same time I do think it was an epic flub on Tein's part to treat a prototype tester like they did.

The platform is so new, and in this day and age everyone is posting on forums/social media about how they were treated by a company either good or bad.

Think about how many people read that post and decided to go with a different company. It really would have been in Tein's best interest to ensure the prototype tester's experience was flawless.
For sure, I agree completely. Brand/image is everything for business, especially in an age with social media where bad experiences can go viral.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:39 AM   #13
diss7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
The key point there is "on a track"

I think edfc on a street car would be ideal. I'd be a lot more likely to adjust dampers in cabin. I like the idea of having comfort settings for daily driving, then being able to quickly adjust suspension if I took the long way home around some twistys. In that same scenario would I pull over to adjust my suspension prior to thrash session? Almost certain that I wouldn't.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:10 AM   #14
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,359 Times in 4,131 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Yes, I'm quoting myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
[rant]
So I've had my struts and coilovers fitted. The brand is immaterial but it wasn't even on the list when I started looking for suspension. My point is after a budget is established how is one suppose to decide on which brand/model to get. One can read reviews about $700 Ebay specials that are "wow!! these made my car handle so good plus they have 80 clicks of adjustment and I now take that corner 100mph faster!!" You can also read that Mr Racer has Uncle Toby's fitted but I am suggesting that Mr Racer would do equally as well on a similar quality shock. I would suggest that 99.999999999% of people don't buy more than one set of coilovers/struts at a time to do back to back comparisons. This is just not feasible. Maybe it just comes down to price. That is, at a similar price point all struts/coilovers are similar in performance/quality.
[/rant]
You get what you pay for.
Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote