follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-12-2021, 10:40 PM   #1
grumpysnapper

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Stock ride height is not too bad for the dirt...

Pretty happy with my suspension set up now... have always debated with myself over needing to add a little more clearance for rough roads.
But overall, and with a good skid plate as security, I think "standard" road height works quite well.
This last rally day started off smooth surfaced...then deteriorated quite badly.
But the old girl handled it well (but yeah, more rear travel would always be welcome!)
Attached Images

grumpysnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to grumpysnapper For This Useful Post:
bcj (02-13-2021), beltax90 (02-13-2021), Cephas (02-13-2021), DarkSunrise (02-16-2021), HaXx (02-15-2021), MICHAEL450f (02-13-2021), NoHaveMSG (02-16-2021), SCFD (02-13-2021), shiumai (02-12-2021), soundman98 (02-13-2021), Spawn_Of_Creation (02-13-2021)
Old 02-13-2021, 02:26 AM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I agree.

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
grumpysnapper (02-13-2021), MICHAEL450f (02-13-2021)
Old 02-13-2021, 02:55 AM   #3
Spawn_Of_Creation
Human

Drives: 2015 BRZ Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What's your wheel tire setup?
Old 02-13-2021, 03:46 AM   #4
grumpysnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn_Of_Creation View Post
RAY'S CE 28 16 x 7, with Pirelli P1 225x16.
The tyres do get shredded... they were literally brand new rears and after a total of about 35miles on that surface... they might last another 35 miles on that surface! ( Brutal embedded rocks in hard backed clay, so after the gravel sweeps off, it starts to get ugly)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grumpysnapper For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (02-13-2021), Spawn_Of_Creation (02-13-2021)
Old 02-13-2021, 03:56 AM   #5
therealstoly

Drives: 2020 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
LOL

He doesn't work that way. Every post he makes is an attempt to vie for your attention. He gets off on making these inane threads with just enough to keep you asking for more.

Before you go sideways, I did come prepared...

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144049

You'll notice that he posted a "review" but didn't actually review. And honestly, no harm, no foul, yes?

Except one little thing about this wanker seems to really stand out if you delve into him...

His "review" looks like a cry for attention, doesn't it? I mean, really, doesn't this thread look a lot like this...

Grumpy: I have the best.

Crowd: I want the best!

Grumpy: That's classified.

Crowd: What the fuck is it?!?

Grumpy: It's what I have. And it's the best. And I'd have to kill you if I told you.

Crowd: Is it Cusco? (Bear in mind, this is a legit question from a vendor that, get this, actually has an 86 in the rally spec realm that is all but begging for Grumpy to fill-in-the-blanks on his own goddamn "review".)

Grumpy: You fucking worthless piece of shit, how dare you think I'd betray the BRZ and put something so... not proper on my car!! I'm still not going to tell you what I have but guess again you worthless peasant!

And really, at this point, this is how it goes with this guy... He's an asshole.

And way too easy to manipulate rendering him a bore.

As soon as I saw the first picture I was intrigued as I've been curious about the Beatrush undercarriage bits and for a minute there I really thought the review was going to come right after the pictures.

Nah. Ain't nobody got time to start a review so good that he has to post it twice and actually review shit.

But. I knew he'd actually answer if I posted and made a Cusco comparison. The temptation to "put-me-in-my-place" would be too much for ole grumpy to endure. A little manipulation from me and some predictive behaviour from him and bam! His review is still worthless but at least someone in the future that finds him in a search will have two or three answers out of the twenty-six he led with.

Guy is absolutely worthless. He wants you to beg for his wheel and tyre specs. Or he doesn't have a clue how to start a thread. Either way...

Last edited by therealstoly; 02-13-2021 at 04:06 AM.
therealstoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 05:16 AM   #6
grumpysnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealstoly View Post
LOL

He doesn't work that way. Every post he makes is an attempt to vie for your attention. He gets off on making these inane threads with just enough to keep you asking for more.

You'll notice that he posted a "review" but didn't actually review. And honestly, no harm, no foul, yes?

Except one little thing about this wanker seems to really stand out if you delve into him...

His "review" looks like a cry for attention, doesn't it? I mean, really, doesn't this thread look a lot like this...

Grumpy: It's what I have. And it's the best. And I'd have to kill you if I told you.

Crowd: Is it Cusco? (Bear in mind, this is a legit question from a vendor that, get this, actually has an 86 in the rally spec realm that is all but begging for Grumpy to fill-in-the-blanks on his own goddamn "review".)

Grumpy: You fucking worthless piece of shit, how dare you think I'd betray the BRZ and put something so... not proper on my car!! I'm still not going to tell you what I have but guess again you worthless peasant!

And really, at this point, this is how it goes with this guy... He's an asshole.

As soon as I saw the first picture I was intrigued as I've been curious about the Beatrush undercarriage bits and for a minute there I really thought the review was going to come right after the pictures.

Nah. Ain't nobody got time to start a review so good that he has to post it twice and actually review shit.

But. I knew he'd actually answer if I posted and made a Cusco comparison. The temptation to "put-me-in-my-place" would be too much for ole grumpy to endure. A little manipulation from me and some predictive behaviour from him and bam! His review is still worthless but at least someone in the future that finds him in a search will have two or three answers out of the twenty-six he led with.

Guy is absolutely worthless. He wants you to beg for his wheel and tyre specs. Or he doesn't have a clue how to start a thread. Either way...
Crickey, thats quite a vicious diatribe.

I don't know where you get the idea it was a review, was simply my thoughts about that piece of hardware I am using.

I have not use the word "review" anywhere....or expletives.

I also responded directly to the questions asked by the other members freely as to who made the plate and where/how to find it, including the part number and advice on the ebay listing and its picture errors....

As the whole premise of your argument as to why I'm a "wanker", "asshole", "bore", "inane" and "worthless" is that there is a time delay in my answering others questions, you might consider that.... I live in a different time zone, on the other side of the world... ie. I'm going to bed when you are waking up.

Last edited by grumpysnapper; 02-14-2021 at 08:39 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grumpysnapper For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (02-18-2021), Tcoat (02-16-2021)
Old 02-13-2021, 05:45 AM   #7
Spawn_Of_Creation
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpysnapper View Post
RAY'S CE 28 16 x 7, with Pirelli P1 225x16.
The tyres do get shredded... they were literally brand new rears and after a total of about 35miles on that surface... they might last another 35 miles on that surface! ( Brutal embedded rocks in hard backed clay, so after the gravel sweeps off, it starts to get ugly)
Have you thought about running winter or a/t?

I've got a set of Method MR502 16x7 I plan to run with 215/65/r16 Grabber or K02. I'm waiting on the RCE Rally-X springs though. I'll probably need to get a 4.56, 4.67, or 4.88 fd with the extra weight and diameter.

Can you PM me the link of the skid plate you found?
HaXx (02-15-2021)
Old 02-13-2021, 06:06 AM   #8
grumpysnapper

Quote:
Have you thought about running winter or a/t?

I've got a set of Method MR502 16x7 I plan to run with 215/65/r16 Grabber or K02. I'm waiting on the RCE Rally-X springs though. I'll probably need to get a 4.56, 4.67, or 4.88 fd with the extra weight and diameter.

Can you PM me the link of the skid plate you found?
A couple of reasons, first is there are no real "winter" tyres available in Australia as it doesn't really get cold enough for long enough, and the other is that rally or all terrain tyres are banned on this track because they cause too much damage.
I dont mind running normal street tyres, as they are not a bad compromise for having fun on the bitumen as well as gravel (and in truth, this track is unusually destructive!)

The plate is made by Laile in Japan, primarily for the Japanese rally season. This is the link to their rally stuff : http://laile.co.jp/en/carparts/rally.../guard_series/

Mine is part number A564001, and I bought mine via eBay from Japan. Expensive, but extremely well thought out, and strong.

There are some pics of it in my post here (ironically the subject of my abuse from above ) :

Old 02-13-2021, 06:55 AM   #9
Spawn_Of_Creation
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpysnapper View Post
Mine is part number A564001, and I bought mine via eBay from Japan. Expensive, but extremely well thought out, and strong.
Is this the one with the quick disconnect? https://www.ebay.com/itm/LAILE-Beatr...-/372968584216
Old 02-13-2021, 07:12 AM   #10
grumpysnapper

Quote:
Is this the one with the quick disconnect? https://www.ebay.com/itm/LAILE-Beatr...-/372968584216
Yep thats the one....but the pics are wrong (just like when I ordered it).

All I did was contact them and confirm it was definitely the A564001, for the BRZ/86

Its expensive, but to me, entirely worth it....painless install, and has proven itself a number of times over in use.

I also use it as the front jack point, I've just added a sliver of rubber between it and the front jacking point on the crossmember (maybe 3mm thick) and it works like a dream.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:02 AM   #11
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
LOL

who peed in your cheerio's?
Old 02-13-2021, 10:35 AM   #12
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
who peed in your cheerio's?
They must have run out of that “ Tiffany Blue” he is so fond of accenting his car with.
soundman98 (02-13-2021)
Old 02-13-2021, 02:16 PM   #13
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
They must have run out of that “ Tiffany Blue” he is so fond of accenting his car with.
someone told him tiffany got a gender change, and is now tyler?
NoHaveMSG (02-16-2021)
Old 02-13-2021, 04:07 PM   #14
vfrqqq
Ultra Senior Member

Drives: 2014 BRZ Premium, WRB
Quote:
LOL

Wow! Before I read the thread you posted with all your vitriol, I was fully expecting it to have several hundreds of replies and span over several weeks if not months of discuss. However, after reading all nine posts that occurred over the course of what was not even two whole days, I have no clue as to why you are so angry with this person. I'm not sure what your problem is, but you should probably get a little perspective before you go ranting on someone like that, seemingly for no reason.
vfrqqq is offline   Reply With Quote