follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 02-27-2018, 09:29 AM   #407
Drambeenie

Drives: Black 17 BRZ LT MT PP
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@Akuma147

Looks killer dude! Nice work!

This is a replacement green clip https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_20...909130253.html

The spoiler should sit completely flush with the trunk. It looks like the way you applied the VHB tape is off. The tape should start being applied from the from of the covers at the tip, then laid directly ontop. Make sure that the edge of the tape is aligned ontop of one side of the cover. You'll then need to push down to secure it inplace, and then push the opposite edge forward to push it towards that edge. The tape is flexible so you should be able to do that. At the front of the cover there's a gap for the green clip. Push down the sides so that is against the inner cover. The bottom of the riser should look like the images below.

PM me and I'll get you my paypal link. VHB is only $2 for the pair.

Drambeenie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drambeenie For This Useful Post:
Akuma147 (02-28-2018), spike021 (02-27-2018), Tcoat (02-27-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 03:05 AM   #408
Akuma147

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The first time I placed the tape on, it was directly on top of the outside edge of the riser, and after putting the spoiler on, the tape would clearly be visible. Then I adjusted the tape to look like your image, having the tape on the inner edge of the riser, but the risers still would not go flush with the trunk. I'm going to try to adjust it again this weekend when I have some free time. I'll try to put the risers on without the spoiler to see if it does go fully flush.

The green clip is not the piece that broke. It's the little black piece that covers the bolts on top of the OEM spoiler. I can't seem to find that piece being sold anywhere. It seems to be holding fine now with 3M heavy duty tape. Maybe I'll put on VHB tape once I fully adjust it to be flush.
Akuma147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:09 AM   #409
Drambeenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma147 View Post
The first time I placed the tape on, it was directly on top of the outside edge of the riser, and after putting the spoiler on, the tape would clearly be visible. Then I adjusted the tape to look like your image, having the tape on the inner edge of the riser, but the risers still would not go flush with the trunk. I'm going to try to adjust it again this weekend when I have some free time. I'll try to put the risers on without the spoiler to see if it does go fully flush.

The green clip is not the piece that broke. It's the little black piece that covers the bolts on top of the OEM spoiler. I can't seem to find that piece being sold anywhere. It seems to be holding fine now with 3M heavy duty tape. Maybe I'll put on VHB tape once I fully adjust it to be flush.
They dont sell that piece unfortunately.

And there might be some space towards the back of the spoiler bc there's a rubber bumper on the bottom of the stock inner core. But tightening the inner trunk bolt should mostly eliminate that. As long as the rest of the riser is VHB to the trunk you'll be fine.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:55 AM   #410
Drambeenie

Have a big batch in the works! Here’s a tiny sample.

Last edited by Drambeenie; 03-03-2018 at 09:12 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drambeenie For This Useful Post:
Brink (03-03-2018), spike021 (03-03-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 02:25 PM   #411
johan

Drives: '14 981CS, '99 NB1
Thanked 1,201 Times in 631 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
@Drambeenie - I want to clear up some confusion. The instructions aren't entirely clear and you've posted a couple pictures trying to clarify, but I want to be sure...

I've attached a pic of how the risers sit on my car, there is an obvious gap towards the back - this is due to the hard rubber piece that is attached to the stock riser core at the back - it simply doesn't compress enough to allow the riser to sit any closer to the trunk.

You don't say to remove this piece in the instructions, you also don't say to remove the stock foam surrounding the studs that seals the holes in the trunk. It only says to remove the two strips of foam that seal the long sides of the stock riser.

- The design of the VHB would leave one to believe that you intended for us to keep that stock hard rubber piece in place... since you don't have the VHB go all the way to the back.
- The cutouts on the VHB for the studs look like you intended for us to remove the OEM foam, but the instructions don't say to...

So... what's the right way here? I don't like to remove/destroy things that I don't need to - especially considering it's impossible to replace these OEM parts in the future without buying a new spoiler (say if one was to RTS to sell their car) - but I also think it should be perfectly clear how to "correctly" install this part.

I want to be clear, I'm not unhappy with how it looks currently. I honestly just want to know that the install is "correct", as I'm about to help someone do this on their car and I wanted to get 100% clear before I help them. I've learned a lot doing this twice now on mine, but still am left with lingering questions, so hence this post.

Also, I will note that I did a reinstall on my car with new VHB and tested the "install the green clips to trunk first" theory and it did indeed work perfectly.
Attached Images

johan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to johan For This Useful Post:
Drambeenie (03-03-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 03:34 PM   #412
Drambeenie

@johan - That install looks correct. You shouldn’t remove the rubber piece in the back so there will be a slight gap towards the rear. And removing the foam on the bottom of the inner core is very difficult to remove and doesn’t need to be removed. You can place the VHB tape ontop of it.

I’m going to make a video on how to properly install the risers and make sure to cover all of the questions I’ve heard. I’ll update the instructions for my next orders to be even more clear about what a successful installation looks like.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drambeenie For This Useful Post:
johan (03-03-2018), spike021 (03-03-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 03:38 PM   #413
johan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drambeenie View Post
@johan - That install looks correct. You do not need to remove the rubber piece in the back so there will be a slight gap towards the rear. And removing the foam on the bottom of the inner core is very difficult to remove and doesn’t need to be removed. You can place the VHB tape ontop of it.

I’m going to make a video on how to properly install the risers and make sure to cover all of the questions I’ve heard. I’ll update the instructions for my next orders to be even more clear about what a successful installation looks like.
roger, roger. Thanks for the quick reply!
The Following User Says Thank You to johan For This Useful Post:
Drambeenie (03-03-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 11:39 PM   #414
Brink

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Can confirm if you order a new spoiler from Subaru it comes with all those rubber and foam bits around the risers on it. Hopefully nobody else finds themselves in that situation though. The "spoiler assembly" as they sell it is basically everything from the cores/risers up for around $500 (unpainted). Nuts, green clips, and that little clear sticker that goes in the middle of the trunk lid for it to rest on sold separately. Looks like the piece that screws into the middle of the spoiler for it to rest on is the only part that is sold both as part of the spoiler assembly and as a separate item.
Attached Images

Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brink For This Useful Post:
Drambeenie (03-04-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 03:04 PM   #415
Brink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma147 View Post
Ok, so I got it installed on Sunday, but there were a few difficulties. First, taking off the two plastic pieces on top of the spoiler, you have to be careful not to push your tool too far in, because I broke one of the plastic tabs that lock them down. For some reason, the metal clip was on really tight on the right piece so I had to put a bit of force and crack it broke. The piece came out with metal clip still attached to it. Unfortunately, I don't see that plastic piece available on Subaru parts, so maybe someone here might be able to help me find one. For now, I stuck 3m double sided tape to hold it down.

Assembling everything was fairly simple, but when putting the green pieces into the risers, the left side was very loose and didn't seem to lock in the little clip correctly. The right side was fine. The VHB tape didn't really align with the holes and sides, so I cut it in two, making a top "V" part and bottom part.

My biggest problem is that I can't seem to get the risers to sit flush with the trunk. I put the spoiler on the risers first and very loosely bolted it down with the bolts. I took the green clips and put it on the trunk first, then I carefully laid the risers onto the trunk. Then I loosely put on the nuts and made sure to torque each nut evenly. When I got to the point of tightening each nut, there seemed to be a significant gap between the risers and the spoiler and I can clearly see the VHB tape sticking out, which didn't look pleasing to me and I thought the tape was causing it to not to sit flush. So, I took the risers off and readjusted the tape, by lifting it up and realigning it, making sure to put it towards the inside edge. I put it back on the same way and tightened the bolts and same thing, there is still a large gap between the risers and the trunk. Am I doing something wrong or is it supposed to be like this? Maybe I'll try to put the risers on first without the spoiler on top of it to see if they do down more flush. I'll definitely need another set of VHB tape though, hint hint @Drambeenie , lol.

Besides those issues, the spoiler and the BRZ now looks Amazing! Seriously, the pictures shown here doesn't do it justice and doesn't even come close to how good it looks in real life. I was worried it didn't seem like much of a lift, but trust me, it looks great in person. I keep looking in my rear view window when driving and admiring the spoiler, lol. Thank you Drambeenie for an amazing job well done.
Which side do you need that plastic cover for, and do you need the metal clip to go with it? I may or may not have an extra one, depends how it goes taking apart the new spoiler which I haven't gotten around to yet. Those covers and the metal clips holding them on can be tough to get off without damaging them - I already have one other person in line to get one of the clips if I end up with the extra parts intact. Bent one of my clips pretty bad taking off the original spoiler the first time around so no guarantees.

Edit:
Nevermind Akuma, no extra covers here. The extras are broken.

Last edited by Brink; 03-07-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:40 PM   #416
johan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Which side do you need that plastic cover for, and do you need the metal clip to go with it? I may or may not have an extra one, depends how it goes taking apart the new spoiler which I haven't gotten around to yet. Those covers and the metal clips holding them on can be tough to get off without damaging them - I already have one other person in line to get one of the clips if I end up with the extra parts intact. Bent one of my clips pretty bad taking off the original spoiler the first time around so no guarantees.
You should be using something like this:

Work from the front of the black cover (facing the front of the car), you should be able to pull it upward enough with your fingers to fit the tool under. Then just insert the tool and pry straight upwards.

I've pulled both of mine 3 times now (and again on my buddies' car) with that tool without issue. You can get them for next to nothing at harbor freight or amazon.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:49 PM   #417
Brink

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan View Post
You should be using something like this:

Work from the front of the black cover (facing the front of the car), you should be able to pull it upward enough with your fingers to fit the tool under. Then just insert the tool and pry straight upwards.

I've pulled both of mine 3 times now (and again on my buddies' car) with that tool without issue. You can get them for next to nothing at harbor freight or amazon.
Yeah I have a set of trim tools including one of those. Pretty sure I was using the one that looks like that, will have to take another look at my set when I get home.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:59 PM   #418
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
For what it's worth, I have a set of tools just like those. The first time I had to remove the black caps everything popped off fine. The second time I had issues and one of the metal clips bent too much; I may have messed up one of the small edge latch parts on the cap.

Currently looking into if it's possible to order some spare metal clips. Not sure about the caps though :\
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:21 PM   #419
Brink

Well it looks like I won't have those covers or clips extra for anyone after all. Just finished taking apart the new spoiler and overall I have a 50% success rate with removing those covers intact. Luckily I ended up with 1 left and 1 right cover in good condition, but the others aren't in great shape (same for the clips).

Also I just wanna say again that this tool is absolutely perfect for popping the riser cores out of their covers. So easy to pry them out using this.
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2018, 03:52 PM   #420
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Well it looks like I won't have those covers or clips extra for anyone after all. Just finished taking apart the new spoiler and overall I have a 50% success rate with removing those covers intact. Luckily I ended up with 1 left and 1 right cover in good condition, but the others aren't in great shape (same for the clips).

Also I just wanna say again that this tool is absolutely perfect for popping the riser cores out of their covers. So easy to pry them out using this.
I may have found a manufacturer that makes and sells the same metal clips. Sent an email to them to see if I can get a couple pieces to try. Otherwise they sell in packs of one hundred. So what I might do is get a pack and then I can send them to guys on here having trouble with them for cost of shipping or whatever.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
Drambeenie (03-07-2018)

Tags
removal, spoiler, trunk, wing