follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-23-2017, 04:27 PM   #15
notorious9i6
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Drives: BRZ 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i have a video of the dash kit fitting.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NnZvEKaKbI"]Universal Android Headunit Install / Wiring / Fitment - YouTube[/ame]

+ some wiring stuff
notorious9i6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to notorious9i6 For This Useful Post:
Akuma147 (05-27-2017), rixter145 (05-23-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 11:02 PM   #16
xxBrun0xx
Senior Member
 
xxBrun0xx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Location: Western MA
Posts: 376
Thanks: 269
Thanked 182 Times in 102 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
The new Joying Sofia 2gb head units are a lot nicer than this for $300.
__________________
xxBrun0xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:44 PM   #17
Akuma147
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ Limited
Location: SoCal
Posts: 87
Thanks: 30
Thanked 65 Times in 26 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Those are my pics on your vid, lol, it's cool if you use them. Keep up with your Youtube videos, I've watched many of them and they're very informative. Thanks.
Akuma147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:14 PM   #18
notorious9i6
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Drives: BRZ 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma147 View Post
Those are my pics on your vid, lol, it's cool if you use them. Keep up with your Youtube videos, I've watched many of them and they're very informative. Thanks.
thanks bro! your pictures were a big help!
notorious9i6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:57 AM   #19
ImAdopted
Super Saiyan
 
ImAdopted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Drives: 9000 HP FRS
Location: Heaven
Posts: 205
Thanks: 67
Thanked 55 Times in 43 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
noob here

if i wanted to upgrade the headunit in my '14 FRS what would i all need? or does it depend on the headunit i choose? like will i need any extra wires or harnesses? i dont have a camera or anything if that matters.
im looking at this one
https://www.carjoying.com/catalog/pr.../category/321/

what size will i need to fit as well? just so i can look at other options

if anyone has reccomendations for me, please share
ImAdopted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:46 PM   #20
BRZyJ
Senior Member
 
BRZyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited / 2015 Q50S
Location: East Bay, No Mods Allowed CA
Posts: 267
Thanks: 195
Thanked 169 Times in 107 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
That unit is actually one of the only android head units that is an exact fit (200mmx100mm). This post lists the cables you'll need in addition to what it comes with:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=26
BRZyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:06 PM   #21
KR-S
Sporadic Member
 
KR-S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,121
Thanks: 5,167
Thanked 3,495 Times in 1,723 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZyJ View Post
That unit is actually one of the only android head units that is an exact fit (200mmx100mm). This post lists the cables you'll need in addition to what it comes with:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=26
I'm looking at pure Android-based units right now and as much as I like this unit (and this is just going to sound like unnecessary nitpicking to most), what I'm bothered by is the fake DVD button and non-working CD/DVD slot. I suppose it's for cost-saving purposes, but what I don't understand is why there isn't a version that has at least a functioning slot.

Of the only Android units that fit the twins perfectly, is this the best one out of all of them?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by klearfade View Post
Is that gel in your hair?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:55 PM   #22
BRZyJ
Senior Member
 
BRZyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited / 2015 Q50S
Location: East Bay, No Mods Allowed CA
Posts: 267
Thanks: 195
Thanked 169 Times in 107 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
I'm looking at pure Android-based units right now and as much as I like this unit (and this is just going to sound like unnecessary nitpicking to most), what I'm bothered by is the fake DVD button and non-working CD/DVD slot. I suppose it's for cost-saving purposes, but what I don't understand is why there isn't a version that has at least a functioning slot.
There is (or used to be) one with a functioning DVD drive, an older 1GB RAM model. I guess they're just being cheap and putting their new boards in the old housings...probably whatever MCU they're using with these newer ones doesn't support the DVD functions. Probably also why that ones resolution is 800x480 and everything else is 1024x600.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
Of the only Android units that fit the twins perfectly, is this the best one out of all of them?
Mmm...maybe? There are only a few around that size, this Hizpo is one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HOE1ISM...=3GRZODGWCRAVU

It's actually 204mmx103mm so not totally sure that would fit without a little trim somewhere. Researching these is kind of a PITA because the info that's available is pretty poor. The "android head units" section on XDA is a good place to see what the ups and downs of different units are:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...oid-head-units

I've been looking to upgrade my old 1GB MTCB one but I'm still not really sure what to go with :/
BRZyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:40 AM   #23
KR-S
Sporadic Member
 
KR-S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,121
Thanks: 5,167
Thanked 3,495 Times in 1,723 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZyJ View Post
There is (or used to be) one with a functioning DVD drive, an older 1GB RAM model. I guess they're just being cheap and putting their new boards in the old housings...probably whatever MCU they're using with these newer ones doesn't support the DVD functions. Probably also why that ones resolution is 800x480 and everything else is 1024x600.
I really hope they release a version with a functional slot. It's not likely I'll use it, bit it's better than a fake slot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZyJ View Post
Mmm...maybe? There are only a few around that size, this Hizpo is one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HOE1ISM...=3GRZODGWCRAVU

It's actually 204mmx103mm so not totally sure that would fit without a little trim somewhere. Researching these is kind of a PITA because the info that's available is pretty poor.
Agreed. I'd really love to have a pure Android headunit that is of the exact size for that OEM look, but it seems my options are very limited. Perhaps waiting would be wise for me, but if not, I'll take this with a dash kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZyJ View Post
The "android head units" section on XDA is a good place to see what the ups and downs of different units are:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...oid-head-units

I've been looking to upgrade my old 1GB MTCB one but I'm still not really sure what to go with :/
I was on there just last night. Lots of good info there.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by klearfade View Post
Is that gel in your hair?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:37 AM   #24
Jakinit
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ Limited (MT)
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 115
Thanks: 3
Thanked 70 Times in 45 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
So I know it's not exactly what you're looking for but the Kenwood DDX916WS and DDX917WS are an exact fit in our cars and while not being android based they support android auto and apple carplay. It's a pretty solid unit.
Jakinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:15 AM   #25
KR-S
Sporadic Member
 
KR-S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,121
Thanks: 5,167
Thanked 3,495 Times in 1,723 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakinit View Post
So I know it's not exactly what you're looking for but the Kenwood DDX916WS and DDX917WS are an exact fit in our cars and while not being android based they support android auto and apple carplay. It's a pretty solid unit.
Thanks for that, will definitely consider them if I can't justify an Android headunit.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by klearfade View Post
Is that gel in your hair?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
android, audio, fast, head unit, headunit

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Android head unit drz400dude Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment 6 12-20-2016 12:47 AM
Android head unit and 2016 backup camera? michaelchatten Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment 6 11-28-2016 10:55 PM
Joying Android Head Unit in 2016 FRS? michaelchatten Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment 0 10-30-2016 02:03 PM
200mm android head unit with android lollipop rsingh Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment 3 05-23-2016 08:48 PM
Android head unit drei Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment 21 07-16-2012 02:42 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.