follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #43
soulstice
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Drives: SWP BRZ LTD
Location: Fairfax County, VA
Posts: 119
Thanks: 21
Thanked 48 Times in 25 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Someone PM'd be about this, so I'll post again to bring it up to the top.

Thanks for posting those updated pics @finch1750, that's a great simple solution.

For those of you guys looking for the parts list, you just need #16 in the diagram. The rest is some time removing the console, modifying the selector to take the offset position and coming up with a way to hold up the shifter boot cover(in finch1750 case a snap button).
soulstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:52 AM   #44
Sleeper86
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Drives: FT86 GTS white AT
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
can someone please post the photos again?
I am trying to do the same and I want to know where is the best place to relocate the PRND part to, some pics would be great,
I have heated seats so the button is there can I still hide the PRND in front of the cup holder?

Last edited by Sleeper86; 04-18-2014 at 05:50 AM.
Sleeper86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:45 PM   #45
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente
 
finch1750's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 11,439
Thanks: 9,184
Thanked 9,295 Times in 5,203 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper86 View Post
can someone please post the photos again?
I am trying to do the same and I want to know where is the best place to relocate the PRND part to, some pics would be great,
I have heated seats so the button is there can I still hide the PRND in front of the cup holder?
Pics are fixed. In terms of hiding under the console in front of the cup holders the only issues is the heat from the tranny that develops in my opinion. There is no real way to secure it as any adhesive melts (industrial 3M and high strength Velcro both failed on me.) Since it is a control module I did not feel comfortable just leaving it in there to bounce around and cutting for the mount seemed like the better solution. I would at least get a high temp padding of some sort to protect it if you do put it under the center console.

BTW @AG3NT_5CARFAC3 I have seen your shift boot on instagram and it looks clean. how did you get it to fit that way on the shift knob? Mine has loosened over time and I am thinking about just going with a custom shift boot because of it.
__________________

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:40 AM   #46
Sleeper86
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Drives: FT86 GTS white AT
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Thanks finch1750, I just tried and test fit today and I know what kind of high temp you talking about now, I have some Acoustic Foam padding if I wrap those around the control module do you think the heat will damage it? or the foam will even lit up and cause fire? I have dremel tools, what kind of cutting for a mount you referring to, any pics?
Sleeper86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:52 AM   #47
AG3NT_5CARFAC3
86 Owners of New England
 
AG3NT_5CARFAC3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Drives: Toyota GT86
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 954
Thanks: 355
Thanked 1,195 Times in 542 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
BTW @AG3NT_5CARFAC3 I have seen your shift boot on instagram and it looks clean. how did you get it to fit that way on the shift knob? Mine has loosened over time and I am thinking about just going with a custom shift boot because of it.
Sorry for the super late reply

I bought a MT boot from the forums that a person was selling. I removed the shift bezel and removed the AT boot. For the At boot, you will notice a rubber-ring at the very top. I cut about 2 inches down of that ring and inserted it into the MT boot, from the inside of the MT boot, to the top, on the inside. I then cut (I believe) 4 small slits so the MT boot would fit perfect when the PNRD panel was re-installed. I then installed the whole shift bezel back into place and screwed back on the shift know and slid the rubber ring over the bottom of said knob.

After about 1.5 years of doing this "mod", I still get people at local meets asking if this is a MT lol :P the only giveaways are they can see the paddles on the steering wheel and...the missing third pedal lol I hope this helped. Feel free to PM me if you still need help. I could always take pictures and help you if need be.
__________________
AG3NT_5CARFAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:25 PM   #48
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente
 
finch1750's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 11,439
Thanks: 9,184
Thanked 9,295 Times in 5,203 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper86 View Post
Thanks finch1750, I just tried and test fit today and I know what kind of high temp you talking about now, I have some Acoustic Foam padding if I wrap those around the control module do you think the heat will damage it? or the foam will even lit up and cause fire? I have dremel tools, what kind of cutting for a mount you referring to, any pics?
Im really not sure. I have no idea what it would take to actually damage it but just didnt want to risk it. The cutting is in the lictures I reuploaded in a previous post. Shows how i was able to mount the piece in the stock location under the new boot still.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AG3NT_5CARFAC3 View Post
Sorry for the super late reply

I bought a MT boot from the forums that a person was selling. I removed the shift bezel and removed the AT boot. For the At boot, you will notice a rubber-ring at the very top. I cut about 2 inches down of that ring and inserted it into the MT boot, from the inside of the MT boot, to the top, on the inside. I then cut (I believe) 4 small slits so the MT boot would fit perfect when the PNRD panel was re-installed. I then installed the whole shift bezel back into place and screwed back on the shift know and slid the rubber ring over the bottom of said knob.

After about 1.5 years of doing this "mod", I still get people at local meets asking if this is a MT lol :P the only giveaways are they can see the paddles on the steering wheel and...the missing third pedal lol I hope this helped. Feel free to PM me if you still need help. I could always take pictures and help you if need be.
Ok, so you took the AT ring and sewed it in the MT Boot, or how did you attach it? I just know yours looks way cleaner than mine. Lol

Ill send you a PM though as I want to make sure I know what Im doing before cutting stuff up. Haha.
__________________

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:42 PM   #49
horatioo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Drives: CBC
Location: United States
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents, with this being done without having to purchase any stock parts. I just did this mod without any cutting or modifying the auto assembly.. first want to give a shout out for excellent custom work @JPMCoachworks to making a custom alcantara manual shift boot with the top stitching having the auto dimensions. All I had to do was remove the rubber grommet that is glued to the top of the auto shift boot insert it (without glueing) to the top of the new manual shift boot and the shift knob fit perfectly snug as if its stock. i pulled the new shift boot over the PRND and bam looks amazing. If anyone of you would like i can post a pic.
horatioo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:08 AM   #50
Anomie
Senior Member
 
Anomie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Location: New York
Posts: 145
Thanks: 42
Thanked 50 Times in 34 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by horatioo View Post
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents, with this being done without having to purchase any stock parts. I just did this mod without any cutting or modifying the auto assembly.. first want to give a shout out for excellent custom work @JPMCoachworks to making a custom alcantara manual shift boot with the top stitching having the auto dimensions. All I had to do was remove the rubber grommet that is glued to the top of the auto shift boot insert it (without glueing) to the top of the new manual shift boot and the shift knob fit perfectly snug as if its stock. i pulled the new shift boot over the PRND and bam looks amazing. If anyone of you would like i can post a pic.
I'd like to see some pics
__________________
Anomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:45 AM   #51
Baldoak
BRZ N02
 
Baldoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: 2013 A/T Subaru BRZ Limited, SWP
Location: Oregon
Posts: 76
Thanks: 81
Thanked 40 Times in 28 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by horatioo View Post
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents, with this being done without having to purchase any stock parts. I just did this mod without any cutting or modifying the auto assembly.. first want to give a shout out for excellent custom work @JPMCoachworks to making a custom alcantara manual shift boot with the top stitching having the auto dimensions. All I had to do was remove the rubber grommet that is glued to the top of the auto shift boot insert it (without glueing) to the top of the new manual shift boot and the shift knob fit perfectly snug as if its stock. i pulled the new shift boot over the PRND and bam looks amazing. If anyone of you would like i can post a pic.
I would also like to see this, if you still have it.
__________________
TRIPFAST.jp
@TRIPFAST.jp on Insta

Custom handmade stickers
Baldoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:07 AM   #52
Euro7R
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Location: Canada
Posts: 132
Thanks: 13
Thanked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bumping old thread. Anyone have installed pics or DIY?
Euro7R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:20 PM   #53
HaloFRS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Drives: 2015 Halo Scion FR-S
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 106
Thanks: 64
Thanked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by horatioo View Post
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents, with this being done without having to purchase any stock parts. I just did this mod without any cutting or modifying the auto assembly.. first want to give a shout out for excellent custom work @JPMCoachworks to making a custom alcantara manual shift boot with the top stitching having the auto dimensions. All I had to do was remove the rubber grommet that is glued to the top of the auto shift boot insert it (without glueing) to the top of the new manual shift boot and the shift knob fit perfectly snug as if its stock. i pulled the new shift boot over the PRND and bam looks amazing. If anyone of you would like i can post a pic.
Photos please?
__________________
Thanks,
HaloFRS
HaloFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vibrating shifter fix! Superhatch Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 51 06-05-2016 10:56 PM
Short Shifter paulieblaze Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 33 01-20-2014 11:55 AM
Flimsy shifter chessplaya2010 Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 1 07-31-2012 01:21 PM
Automatic slowdown shifter noise Roadstercycle Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 5 07-17-2012 05:32 PM
FR-S Shifter Video xravexboix Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum 10 04-21-2012 08:20 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.