follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 03-26-2019, 10:58 AM   #2997
CallmeDave

Drives: 13 BRZ, 07 WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm looking to buy this kit soon. Does anyone sell it cheaper than the minimum retail price?
Old 03-26-2019, 12:10 PM   #2998
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeDave View Post
I'm looking to buy this kit soon. Does anyone sell it cheaper than the minimum retail price?
there are occasional rebates and sales by the retailers, from what I've seen over the years. You don't save much, about $500. You could get a second hand kit as well. They do come up occasionally.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:38 PM   #2999
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Sales by retailers are not allowed. Edelbrock mandates all kits be sold at MSRP. You should choose your retailer based on the support you get from your retailer.

The only two times a rebate has been active, is when the kit was freshly introduced: once when the kit was brand new, and once when the 17+ refresh was released.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (03-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 08:53 PM   #3000
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Anyone who's looking to upgrade the V1 coolant tank to the V2 style, here's your part:

Jeg's Part # 350-38-0150

https://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/38-0150/10002/-1

I received it today, it includes the tank and cap but no bracket. I modified the V1 bracket by using a step drill bit to remove the weld nuts and slightly bent it. No more air getting sucked up into the system and immediate difference in IAT! I have not yet noticed a temp difference in long term cruise since I just finished but after 3 short drives I saw a reduction in time to recover from heatsoak. Still not completely burped as I've been adding water after every drive.
B T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to B T For This Useful Post:
BirdTRD (03-27-2019), CallmeDave (03-27-2019), HachiRokuX (03-26-2019), Silverfox (07-21-2020), subielife (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 09:42 AM   #3001
CallmeDave

So is there as revision to the Edelbrock supercharger for the new 2018+ models.
Anyone know what they changed.

Trying to decide if its worth it to get the new kit or get the old one since its in stock.
I have a 2013 so I dont think it maters.

Is that V2 coolant thanks something they changed?

Thanks
Old 03-28-2019, 01:09 AM   #3002
Peaches86

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ WRB PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Teething Issues with the new blower!

Hey guys,
I installed my edelbrock kit 2k miles ago on a 2017 BRZ with 9k miles and had it tuned by Zach at Delicious Tuning. I've done some reading on this forum and I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the same issues I'm having.
Usually under light load on the freeway going up a slight hill the car does this crazy surging and lurching around 3300 to 3800 RPM. It's jerky and worrisome. Now today it was happening in every gear under light load just commuting around town. Anything under 4000 rpm was really jerky and surging back and forth making casual driving impossible. Idle was fine but from every stop it kept violently jumping 500 rpm until I shifted or got above 4000 rpm.
I've had luck in the past with cleaning the mass air flow sensor and the problem almost vanishes. It can't be normal to have to clean your mass air flow sensor every 750 miles. Also all hoses are connected and there are no leaks in the engine bay.
Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
Peaches86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:44 AM   #3003
Mr_Eyo

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
So is there as revision to the Edelbrock supercharger for the new 2018+ models.
Anyone know what they changed.

Trying to decide if its worth it to get the new kit or get the old one since its in stock.
I have a 2013 so I dont think it maters.

Is that V2 coolant thanks something they changed?

Thanks
The revision is for 2017+ alternators interfering with the nose if the SC. V2 surge bottle change predated the alt update. You should be good on your 2013 getting the unrevised kit.
Mr_Eyo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr_Eyo For This Useful Post:
CallmeDave (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 01:50 AM   #3004
Mr_Eyo

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaches86 View Post
Hey guys,
I installed my edelbrock kit 2k miles ago on a 2017 BRZ with 9k miles and had it tuned by Zach at Delicious Tuning. I've done some reading on this forum and I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the same issues I'm having.
Usually under light load on the freeway going up a slight hill the car does this crazy surging and lurching around 3300 to 3800 RPM. It's jerky and worrisome. Now today it was happening in every gear under light load just commuting around town. Anything under 4000 rpm was really jerky and surging back and forth making casual driving impossible. Idle was fine but from every stop it kept violently jumping 500 rpm until I shifted or got above 4000 rpm.
I've had luck in the past with cleaning the mass air flow sensor and the problem almost vanishes. It can't be normal to have to clean your mass air flow sensor every 750 miles. Also all hoses are connected and there are no leaks in the engine bay.
Log it. If STFT is high and positive, could be issues with the vacuum actuated bypass valve. Check this post:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=2368

I hose clamped both ends of that vacuum hose on the back of the SC that sucks on the actuator.

Also, visually verify under the SC that that actuator lever arm is all clear of any harnessing that may prevent it from moving like it should.
Mr_Eyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:21 AM   #3005
CallmeDave

Honest question: are you owners still happy with your purchase?
Still say its worth the money and tuning hassle?(I thought DT had the tune locked down)

I've been trying to find people's honest reactions after installing this kit.

The few video's on youtube I've seen are people getting this kit than a few videos later they are removing it....

I want the car to be way more fun, have enough power to safety pass someone on a back road.

Also if I drag race a minivan at a green light so I can get ahead of them to take the On-ramp at speed I'd like to win (this car is embarrassing....)
Old 03-28-2019, 08:54 AM   #3006
BertoFT

Drives: 13 FRS Firestorm
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Honest question: are you owners still happy with your purchase?
Still say its worth the money and tuning hassle?(I thought DT had the tune locked down)

I've been trying to find people's honest reactions after installing this kit.

The few video's on youtube I've seen are people getting this kit than a few videos later they are removing it....

I want the car to be way more fun, have enough power to safety pass someone on a back road.

Also if I drag race a minivan at a green light so I can get ahead of them to take the On-ramp at speed I'd like to win (this car is embarrassing....)
Before supercharging, I never had problems passing anyone at lights, highways or backroads (manual w/ invidia N1 catback). It's certainly much easier and more fun after supercharging. 3rd gear pulls to get around semi's on backroads are awesome.

I got mine at 100k miles on the odometer, with the grumpy Edelbrock tune. Still Loving the extra power 10k miles later.

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk
BertoFT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BertoFT For This Useful Post:
subielife (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 11:54 AM   #3007
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I really enjoyed it for a while until I got the itch for more power. Once you apply E85 to it, it's a rocket ship.
B T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:28 PM   #3008
paiceyfan

Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaches86 View Post
Hey guys,
If you can find my posts in this thread, I am sure they will sound familiar. I, too, had this type of issue that made driving in traffic a complete nightmare. Behavior in and out of gear was very different. I approached Zach with the problem a while back and I moved from v21 to v25?, I think, and a little custom tuning to get the car behaving better. It's not perfect, but back to being fun again.

The one issue that I can still replicate on demand is driving into work and as I approach the parking lot and shift into first at around 9 mph, the car will hold that speed. When I come to a stop and depress the clutch, the revs will rise to about 3-4krpm and hang for second and then drop to normal idle.

The other outstanding issue is that the idle can fluctuate a little at a red light, but only by a few hundred RPMs. Zach had the full logs to look at and didn't see anything that indicated a mechanical issue and made the improvements purely by changing elements of the tune. Also, I had Neal at The Racers Line look over his install during a service just before that and he said everything looked good.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:05 PM   #3009
CallmeDave

Man I知 only halfway through this entire thread and with all the vacuum leaks and tuning nightmares I知 deciding if I should go with the carb tune instead of DT.
Or I think I知 going to start reading Vortech tread.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:51 PM   #3010
paiceyfan

Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Man I知 only halfway through this entire thread and with all the vacuum leaks and tuning nightmares I知 deciding if I should go with the carb tune instead of DT.

Or I think I知 going to start reading Vortech tread.
Actually, the Carb tune was not much better, if at all. The question you might want to ask me is...would I still get the SC and DT? The answer is yes. Look at the issues as teething issues...I am still having a lot of fun and the car is my DD.
As many of our fellow 86ers say, if you cannot handle small issues, then don't modify. I am not mechanical in any way, but took the chance of modding and there's always helpful people here.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
BirdTRD (03-28-2019), CallmeDave (03-29-2019)