follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 06-15-2020, 11:12 PM   #127
umidog

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hi...C47335%2C48753

It was essentially plug n play. The headlights don’t need to be disassembled like putting in an oven to remove the lens. It was all plug n play. HD relay for H7 and anti-flicker module with the D2H bulbs at 6500k with 35w ballasts.

Taking off the bumper is the biggest time consumer. I mounted the ballasts n ignitors to the headlights and ran the power and ground to the battery and ground. I riveted the relay to a hole I made in the body. Pretty simple.
Hello! Just wondering how you hooked up the anti-flicker module to these headlights. I bought the same kit, just a little confused about the module. Love the build!
umidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 12:15 AM   #128
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by umidog View Post
Hello! Just wondering how you hooked up the anti-flicker module to these headlights. I bought the same kit, just a little confused about the module. Love the build!
Are you following the install writeup?

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...55baadea1a4006

Page 7 has the "Internally-Wired Headlights with HD Relay" diagram with a part that is labeled: "If equipped". That is the anti-flicker module. Connect that between the bulb harness and the "OEM Input", and then attach the ground to the OEM ground point that is on the side of the frame nearest the front and passenger side of the engine.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:14 AM   #129
umidog

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Are you following the install writeup?

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...55baadea1a4006

Page 7 has the "Internally-Wired Headlights with HD Relay" diagram with a part that is labeled: "If equipped". That is the anti-flicker module. Connect that between the bulb harness and the "OEM Input", and then attach the ground to the OEM ground point that is on the side of the frame nearest the front and passenger side of the engine.
Ahhh okay! Wasn't aware that they had a writeup on their site. Thank you for this!!
umidog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to umidog For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (06-16-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 09:04 PM   #130
Irace86.2.0

I bought a used set of Ace 150 headers and some DEI Titanium wrap. I'll be doing that and updating the Delicious Tune soon. I have a MIG welder, but I bought a TIG welder. I wanted to add some more welds to the outside of the flanges, and it was an excuse to finally get a TIG welder. I'm thinking about making some custom heat shields for the header too. We will see.

Last edited by Irace86.2.0; 06-25-2020 at 11:36 PM.
Irace86.2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Irace86.2.0 For This Useful Post:
Thefalls (06-26-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 11:32 PM   #131
Irace86.2.0

I purchased a set of Carbotech 1521 brake pads. The BP10’s are ok, but they squeal bad at low speeds at partial pressure. The wife is really annoyed, but even I am over the noise too. It is pretty loud. If I’m next to a wall, I hear how truly loud they are. Hopefully these work.

I took on another project too and bought the Edelbrock coolant surge tank that I want to adapt to the Harrop kit. I feel like the system would be good if it had a way to deal with air pressure.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:41 AM   #132
Irace86.2.0

Unfortunately Airgas only had 1/8th 308/308L feed wire, but I had stuff for mild steel at 1/8th, so I got it. They had other sizes, but I would have had to buy 5lbs, and I wasn't interested in that. Even then, they didn't have 1/16th or smaller.

In the end, I decided to just see how things went. This was my first TIG project, so I had low expectations. I used 1/16th tungsten. I tried to used some MIG 308, but it was too small for the job, or my skillset wasn't up to the challenge of using that thin of wire. It would just ball up and drop in the field. I could have backed off the heat, but I was losing my puddle. I switched to the 1/8th, but it was too big. At best, I was overheating the metal and clumping up the field. I would have increased the amps because the flange could take it, but the pipe wouldn't be able to, even if I did a 'M' walk over the flange and less on the pipe. I was mostly filling a void seen below verses looking for full penetration. I was able to get a decent run of gold beads on two lines of practice lap welds on some heavier gauge steel prior to this attempt, but this pipe wasn't as happy. I sanded and did some Acetone, but I was getting a few reactions on top of not having enough heat to melt the filler rod. Oh well.

After hours of messing around, I was running out of time, and I needed to get the project done. I pulled out the MIG welder and just ran some lines around the pipes then moved on to wrapping the headers.

I have to say that my MIG welds are better than my non-existent TIG welds and skills, as novice as the MIG skills are, but I really enjoyed the torch on the TIG welder than the splatter and sizzle of the MIG puddle. I probably shouldn't have picked welding thin walled pipe to thick gauge stainless steel as a first time project, but I like to dive in the deep end sometimes.

Here are some comparison pics:

For reference, the cat looked good on the dirty in side and on the cleaner out side. No signs of melting or early wear:

Here they are wrapped in DEI Titanium wrap. I was thinking of use the stock heat shields to wrap the headers by cutting the stock shields, making brackets, and bla bla bla, but in the end, I had the weekend to get this done, and I was losing time.

I have flashed a new DT. Car feels like a pudd. Hopefully something isn't wrong, and it is just a conservative first tune. I hate the revision process. It can take forever.

Last edited by Irace86.2.0; 06-29-2020 at 02:09 AM.
Irace86.2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:15 PM   #133
Irace86.2.0

I haven't installed the new pads yet. I'm going to wait to do that in a few weeks when I have some time off.

I added the Edelbrock coolant reservoir to my setup. I found that even though the fill plugs were topped off when I checked, there was still low coolant levels as I circulated the pump during this install. After adding a few cups worth of coolant, all the hoses felt much firmer. I'm sure there is still some air in the system, but considering the reservoir almost ran dry multiple times, I have to believe that this will be much better. I'm surprised it was this bad considering how many times I purged the system and topped off the fill plugs. Then again, I have custom coolant lines. By the temperature of the hoses, this setup seems to be circulating coolant much better.

The bracket and reservoir were solid pieces. I did file off the Edelbrock logo. My only complaint is the lid is the type where you over tighten it, and it jumps a thread and needs retightening, which leaves someone always feeling like it needs to be tighter. If it had a stronger locking cap and if it didn't purge air to the atmosphere, and instead, had a line I could 'T' into the existing coolant overflow reservoir then that would seem best. Overall, I am happy with the addition.

Old 07-06-2020, 07:57 PM   #134
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Is it high enough to bleed the system there now?
Old 07-06-2020, 10:43 PM   #135
airrick

Drives: TRD R.S. 1.0 FRS
Something i wanted to ask because i havent found it anywhere. I ordered the dash cluster trim piece from ortizcustompods. They offer for the customer to send in their own trim piece, and wanting to do this. I am trying to remove it. But there is this leather flap that is connected to it from the steering wheel. How did you remove this piece without ruining it?
airrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:58 PM   #136
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
Is it high enough to bleed the system there now?
Normally the reservoir needs to be higher than everything to bleed, but the supercharger ports do that job from the supercharger to the pump. The problem is air was trapped in horizontal sections that can’t bleed because the water pump might act as a stopping/vacuum point. The original routing of the hoses has every hose in a more vertical orientation, but mine is routed like the Edelbrock kit.

When I added the reservoir, I was able to add a significant amount of coolant, even though the top ports on the supercharger was topped off.
Kiske (08-01-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 10:01 PM   #137
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by airrick View Post
Something i wanted to ask because i havent found it anywhere. I ordered the dash cluster trim piece from ortizcustompods. They offer for the customer to send in their own trim piece, and wanting to do this. I am trying to remove it. But there is this leather flap that is connected to it from the steering wheel. How did you remove this piece without ruining it?
I’m pretty sure it unclips. I honestly can’t remember though. I would have to look or Google it.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:12 AM   #138
Irace86.2.0

I finally got around to installing the Carbotech 1521s.

I decided to just use my angle grinder with a 60 grit sanding flap disc to quickly sweep across the rotors as I spun them on my stool with the backrest removed. Then I used 80 grit sandpaper wrapped around a flat block of wood to add a cross hatch pattern tangential to the center drum, going in each direction. Saved me a $100 instead of getting them spun, and it really didn't look like there was much grooving that would require them to be spun. In fact, the BP10's had probably 75%+ of the material left on them, which I will keep for any future track days. Obviously, I haven't been using the brake pads that much when canyon carving, or rather, I haven't been abusing them or heating them up much.

I then took the car out to bed the brakes. I did 4 sets of medium braking from 45-15 then 8-10 sets of hard braking from 60-15. Through it all, the brakes never squealed, and after, I drove around for another half an hour with light to medium braking, and I never once heard a squeal. The wife was with me, and she was very happy.

I haven't had them long enough to know if they will ever squeal. I'll have to see after the car gets washed or after a rain or in different weather conditions, but my guess is they will be near quiet to completely quiet. Again, I haven't had them long enough to make a full review, but my initial impressions are that they don't seem to have as strong of a bite as the BP10s, nor do they feel as hard, but that could change as they wear in more fully. They seem perfect for the street and are easy to modulate, but feel sporty. I'm curious how they will hold up to street and canyon use. Overall, I am very happy thus far.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:03 PM   #139
Irace86.2.0

I had some uneven tire wear, which I documented here:

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141590

I took the car in for the alignment. Here are the results. I am ordering some Michelin Pilot 4S, so I have them ready. I also bought some ARP extended wheel studs and some FactionFab 5mm spacers (x2), so I can widen the front by 5-10mm. There has always been a little tuck in the front and a little poke in the rear, so I am hoping the spacers will even out the front with the rear.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:45 PM   #140
solidsnake11

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

This is funny as shit, all the lecturing you gave me about tig welding.
This would be a difficult of 1 on a scale of 0-10.
It is seriously one of the easiest welds to make and make look good.

I would assume you now know what I was talking about stuff warping while your trying to make the perfect cosmetic weld, considering you welded the flanges without them being bolted down.

I thought about telling you why they welded the inside of the flange and not the outside of it when you mentioned you was going to weld the outside but I decided I would let you get some hands on experience.

The flange doesn't warp near as much when you weld the inside.

I think I should go edit all of threads that you gave me shit on and post your example of your skills.

This defiantly put a smile to my face.

Last edited by solidsnake11; 07-29-2020 at 11:30 PM.
solidsnake11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to solidsnake11 For This Useful Post:
Elliotw (07-30-2020), Irace86.2.0 (07-31-2020), RayRay88 (07-30-2020), TylerLieberman (07-29-2020)