follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-04-2019, 10:02 PM   #29
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpembry View Post
I’m not making a point.. just bringing to light the irony of the reported failure RIGHT after I installed mine. Failure of any part is possible
That’s not ironic, that’s a coincidence.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:43 AM   #30
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
That's an ironic coincidence
Attached Images

86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 03:28 AM   #31
CoolHandMoss

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
One little addition to this matter, for whatever it's worth. I sent Greddy an email just expressing dissatisfaction, not expecting anything but just so they can be aware and do nothing about it. They responded and actually asked for details because there have been instances of fake copies of this part sold in packaging that also appears to be authentic. I'm not sure if mine was authentic or not, but it is worth mentioning that aside from the general risk that may or may not be present when using certain magnetic oil drain plugs one should definitely make sure to avoid getting a counterfeit from a poorly known retailer. I am sure Greddy would be willing to validate any retailer you were interested in buying from. Not that you should even buy the authentic thing either way.
CoolHandMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 03:57 AM   #32
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandMoss View Post
One little addition to this matter, for whatever it's worth. I sent Greddy an email just expressing dissatisfaction, not expecting anything but just so they can be aware and do nothing about it. They responded and actually asked for details because there have been instances of fake copies of this part sold in packaging that also appears to be authentic. I'm not sure if mine was authentic or not, but it is worth mentioning that aside from the general risk that may or may not be present when using certain magnetic oil drain plugs one should definitely make sure to avoid getting a counterfeit from a poorly known retailer. I am sure Greddy would be willing to validate any retailer you were interested in buying from. Not that you should even buy the authentic thing either way.
Really https://www.alibaba.com/countrysearch/CN/greddy.html
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:12 AM   #33
CoolHandMoss

Drives: 2013 FRS
Hah... Yeah the general fact that there are counterfeits is not really the surprise. There are plenty of obvious fakes out there that are usually easily identified by their prices being a fraction of what the authentic part costs. But counterfeits that appear convincing and are sold at the same price as the original and all, for a part like this, that is at least slightly surprising to me. Maybe not so much on eBay, but I didn't buy this one from eBay. I certainly had no suspicion that the product was not authentic when I bought and received it, but it may well be.
CoolHandMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:31 PM   #34
thinkV

Drives: BRZ Turbo
If this magnetic plug is now prone to failure, is there a more reliable drain plug? I was thinking of getting one for mine but this has thrown me off.
thinkV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:46 PM   #35
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkV View Post
If this magnetic plug is now prone to failure, is there a more reliable drain plug? I was thinking of getting one for mine but this has thrown me off.

The most reliable is the oem drain plug. Don't bother with any magnetic drain plug for the engine oil.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote