follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
Superhatch
AIM4APX

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Vibrating shifter fix!

I've looked for a thread detailing this "fix" but couldn't find anything. Last night when driving home from work the wife and I did some troubleshooting and found that the vibration sound is coming from the shift knob itself. If you remove the shift knob, the vibration goes away. I'm going to try some stuff this weekend to get rid of the vibration sound and let you know how it goes. I did find that if you tightened the knob all the way down the sound goes away, but then your shift gate pattern is upside down.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
perhaps plumbers putty?
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
slimjoe

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Along those lines, how about plumbers tape (the teflon stuff)?
slimjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
Kwaziekeller

Drives: '13 Argento MT FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I didn't have a vibration, but my shift know was loose (it turned in my hand mid shift one day)... so I tightened it up. a 1/2 turn was about right, but I made the other 1/2 turn so the pattern was right. It's definitely tight! You may be able to get that other 1/2 turn on yours as well.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
Superhatch
AIM4APX

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwaziekeller View Post
I didn't have a vibration, but my shift know was loose (it turned in my hand mid shift one day)... so I tightened it up. a 1/2 turn was about right, but I made the other 1/2 turn so the pattern was right. It's definitely tight! You may be able to get that other 1/2 turn on yours as well.
I was thinking about going another 1/2 turn, but I don't want to break anything.

Below is a diagram which shows the different parts...dont have a pic. There is an inner ring between the outter knob and the threading which doesn't touch either of those pieces, I -think- this is what vibrates so I'm not sure if putting putty or tape on the threading of the shifter will dampen the vibration.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
Kwaziekeller

Drives: '13 Argento MT FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Yea... my knob is very tight now... almost heard some cracking in the last few degrees of turning, but it's on there for now. I'll eventually replace it anyways.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,519 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
It might be the plastic insert at the top. Sometimes those can be loose.

Just go with a knob that doesn't have one:
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Draco-REX For This Useful Post:
ShoGun (06-07-2013)
Old 07-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
alex124

Drives: Corolla S 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
This is really a dumb question... but is there a mechanical problem if the shifter vibrates? My shifter also vibrates since I bought the vehicle in June. It vibrates basically the whole time while engine is on, but it doesn't make any noise. Does this mean there still is a problem? I thought for a sports car like BRZ, the manufacturers made it intetionally to vibrate, but I can easily be mistaken.
alex124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #9
Sony

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ MT Limited
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex124 View Post
This is really a dumb question... but is there a mechanical problem if the shifter vibrates? My shifter also vibrates since I bought the vehicle in June. It vibrates basically the whole time while engine is on, but it doesn't make any noise. Does this mean there still is a problem? I thought for a sports car like BRZ, the manufacturers made it intetionally to vibrate, but I can easily be mistaken.
This is not a problem, this is just a side effect of having a shifter that is directly attached to the transmission. You are feeling the vibrations from the engine and the gears themselves inside the transmission. It's a good thing. Most cars nowadays are FWD or have transaxles which require a cable connected shifter....this mutes shifter feel. The BRZ, having a true longitudinal transmission has a shifter that is directly attached to the transmission and the gears themselves by solid rods and therefore gives a more direct and attached feel.
Sony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sony For This Useful Post:
BeRZed (05-13-2015), slyphen (06-03-2014)
Old 07-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #10
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

No, it's perfectly normal. I think the OP was talking about a rattle noise.

Unlike a lot of FWD cars these days which use cables to link the shifter to the transmission, the shifter in the BRZ/FR-S has a mechanical linkage. Then, on top of that, again unlike FWD cars, the shifter is mounted directly to the transmission rather than the body.

Think of those vibrations as a way for the engine and transmission to communicate with you. Unlike most cars these days where the manufacturer does all they can to try and separate you from the mechanical side of the car, Toyobaru wants you to be a part of the whole process of driving this car.

Might as well stay at home and play a video game with a controller for all the involvement most cars today have. :P
The Following User Says Thank You to Draco-REX For This Useful Post:
BeRZed (05-13-2015)
Old 07-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
Hanzo

Drives: Waiting for the ND Miata
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
A good transmission/shifter doesn't have to have vibration for example: Honda S2000, Mazda Miata.
Hanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #12
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanzo View Post
A good transmission/shifter doesn't have to have vibration for example: Honda S2000, Mazda Miata.
There might be a difference between what each of us are referring to as "vibration".
Old 07-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #13
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanzo View Post
Agreed, sounds more like excuses. The '91 Civic's/CRX's had horrible vibrations that you could feel through both the steering wheel and the shifter. The very next model year('92-'95) almost eliminated both, the next generation again had more removed.

It seems today this place is full of buyers/owners who are grasping for straws with excuses to pass off the issues they don't like.

I felt very connected to my muted wheel/shifter in my last 3 vehicles without vibrations to tell me I'm connected. Geez, what's next? We accept poor alignments and wheel balances?
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #14
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistpoint View Post
Agreed, sounds more like excuses. The '91 Civic's/CRX's had horrible vibrations that you could feel through both the steering wheel and the shifter. The very next model year('92-'95) almost eliminated both, the next generation again had more removed.

It seems today this place is full of buyers/owners who are grasping for straws with excuses to pass off the issues they don't like.

I felt very connected to my muted wheel/shifter in my last 3 vehicles without vibrations to tell me I'm connected. Geez, what's next? We accept poor alignments and wheel balances?
Really? A little bit of engine noise through the shifter is that traumatic for you? Considering the S2000 and Miata both have their shifters attached directly to the transmission as well, they aren't devoid of all vibration. I've driven a Miata and I know for a fact that the shifter is not completely isolated from vibration. Nor did it have appreciably less vibration than the shifter in my BRZ.

So take your troll posts elsewhere.