follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

View Poll Results: Which jab have you had?
Pfizer 53 51.96%
Moderna 27 26.47%
Johnson & Johnson 6 5.88%
AstraZeneca 4 3.92%
Novavax 0 0%
Sputnik 1 0.98%
Convidecia 0 0%
Homebrew with a big dose of something special 11 10.78%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 08:38 AM   #1611
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
"April 13 (Reuters) - U.S. federal health agencies on Tuesday will call for an immediate pause in use of Johnson & Johnson's single-dose COVID-19 vaccine after six U.S. recipients developed a rare disorder involving blood clots, the New York Times reported, citing officials briefed on the decision."

Would they really pause it over 6 people? I mean that can't be statistically significant.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

It really Isn't, according to USAToday 6.8 million doses have already been administered. But just like when the boss lady witnessed a young girl get a seizure right after getting her J&J vaccine, these types of cases should be investigated, out of abundance of caution, like the announcement from J&J states. Better safe than sorry. Can't give a reason to worry to people already on the fence about getting a vaccine.
Dadhawk (04-13-2021), p1l0t (04-13-2021), spike021 (04-13-2021), Spuds (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 09:02 AM   #1612
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,400 Times in 6,129 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
"April 13 (Reuters) - U.S. federal health agencies on Tuesday will call for an immediate pause in use of Johnson & Johnson's single-dose COVID-19 vaccine after six U.S. recipients developed a rare disorder involving blood clots, the New York Times reported, citing officials briefed on the decision."

Would they really pause it over 6 people? I mean that can't be statistically significant.

Well, that certainly puts a damper on our prospects of getting vaccinated tomorrow. I think we were going to get the J&J but we will see if they cancel on us due to this pause.

Perhaps vaccine safety isn't about statistically significant numbers, but more about ensuring it is safe for everyone, or at least identifying people who should not receive it due to underlying conditions and such.

Whether something is statistically relevant only applies to their trials, when it would have been unlikely to show up. This issue is extremely rare so it may have not shown up in a person within their sample set. The fact that the authorities on such matters are taking this seriously is a good sign.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 09:13 AM   #1613
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,318 Times in 4,120 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Vaccine might be more effective for a single strain but natural immunity seems to be more effective on mutations. They are trying to figure out how to make vaccines mimick this better.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-pers...7-better-b1351
I am not up to speed on how immunity works but how does natural immunity help if the virus is killing you or giving you heath problems for the rest of your life?

The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (04-14-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 10:29 AM   #1614
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
I am not up to speed on how immunity works but how does natural immunity help if the virus is killing you or giving you heath problems for the rest of your life?
Well yes, but if it's going to kill you or cause severe problems than your immunity isn't working well. Much of it depends on age, deficiencies, and the level of exposure. (i.e. did you breathe in one little molecule or touch a door knob someone sneezed on)... It's all risk vs reward IMHO. As a younger person with a great immune system I would rather be exposed in microdoses to the actual thing if I could control it reasonably. Might sound irrational (and it's totally impractical anyway) but that's my view on it. The body is better prepared for the next strain/mutation that way the vaccines work better on a particular strain but then I'm not sure if that helps you or harms when it comes to the next strain or if you become dependent on vaccine every year or 6 months or as often as new strains come around.

The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 10:54 AM   #1615
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Well yes, but if it's going to kill you or cause severe problems than your immunity isn't working well. Much of it depends on age, deficiencies, and the level of exposure. (i.e. did you breathe in one little molecule or touch a door knob someone sneezed on)... It's all risk vs reward IMHO. As a younger person with a great immune system I would rather be exposed in microdoses to the actual thing if I could control it reasonably. Might sound irrational (and it's totally impractical anyway) but that's my view on it. The body is better prepared for the next strain/mutation that way the vaccines work better on a particular strain but then I'm not sure if that helps you or harms when it comes to the next strain or if you become dependent on vaccine every year or 6 months or as often as new strains come around.

How do you know you aren't spreading it to other people when you get these "microdoses" as you call it. That is kind of a selfish point of view.

Also, FYI, you get a greater amount of replicating virus from actually catching covid than you do from a vaccine (some vs none) so calling one a microdose of the other is an incorrect characterization. They are two different things which trigger the same immune response. The difference is that the vaccine doesn't do much else.

The virus will continue to do damage while it is in your body. The range of side effects of the vaccine are entirely dependent on the body's reaction to it. The body would likely have similar reactions to the virus if unvaccinated. The virus has additional effects caused by the damage it does.

If you are intending to live well into retirement age, your current philosophy is counter to your own survival. As you age, you will become more susceptible to the virus should it survive. If more people catch it and allow it to replicate and mutate the chances are greater that it will be there when you are 60+, and there is no guarantee your immune system will protect you.
p1l0t (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 11:07 AM   #1616
p1l0t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
How do you know you aren't spreading it to other people when you get these "microdoses" as you call it. That is kind of a selfish point of view.

Also, FYI, you get a greater amount of replicating virus from actually catching covid than you do from a vaccine (some vs none) so calling one a microdose of the other is an incorrect characterization. They are two different things which trigger the same immune response. The difference is that the vaccine doesn't do much else.

The virus will continue to do damage while it is in your body. The range of side effects of the vaccine are entirely dependent on the body's reaction to it. The body would likely have similar reactions to the virus if unvaccinated. The virus has additional effects caused by the damage it does.

If you are intending to live well into retirement age, your current philosophy is counter to your own survival. As you age, you will become more susceptible to the virus should it survive. If more people catch it and allow it to replicate and mutate the chances are greater that it will be there when you are 60+, and there is no guarantee your immune system will protect you.
Well, yes, it is a selfish point of view. But everyone getting immunity for one strain completely stopping it from making more strains is not going happen as there are already other mutations out there and not everyone can even get immunization anyway. Even if we do achieve herd immunity somehow it's already too late. So I still think it's a risk/reward scenario.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:30 AM   #1617
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
The concept of statistical significance is not a applied when entire populations are involved. It is used in studies involving sampling techniques to estimate the potential impact of sampling error on the observed results. The question is "how likely is it that what I observe in my data are due to the fact that the sample is wonky (not representative of the population) and are NOT indicative of what happens in the real world?" If the likelihood that the observed findings are due to chance is less than .05 or better still .01 then many researchers are willing to say the findings are "real." If you're a glutton for punishment, google up Type 1 and Type 2 errors.

6 incidents out of almost seven million doses is by some reckonings not a cause for concern. That said, with the causal chain a mystery, drug makers and government health authorities tend to be hyper cautious about distribution of new drugs. The specter of the Thalidomide Disaster in the 60s casts a long shadow.

I suspect the pause(es) in the distributions of the AZ and J&J vaccines will be temporary, Both vaccines use a different "carrier} process from the Moderna and Pfizer products. My bet is the really smart people studying this will get something of a handle on the clotting problems pretty quickly and we'll be back in business.

Some seem to think the current vaccines offer immunity to only one strain of virus and therefore it is not worth getting vaccinated because of the possibility of variants. This is wrongheaded for a number of reasons. First, the current vaccines ARE effective (to a greater of lesser extent) against all known strains of the virus (as far as I can tell). Second, the rush to vaccinate is due to the concern that a mutation will occur that will create a new strain that can breakout through the vaccine shield. The longer the virus runs loose in the population the more likely that "breakout" mutation will happen.

Most recent edit: Sometimes I really wish we could cordon off a continent, build a bubble over and put all the deniers (vaccines, climate change, and all the rest) there. They could share their reality and the rest of us could share ours. It would isolate the rest of the population from the effects of the decisions of of the deniers and would present a series of interesting natural experiments for biological and social scientists..

Last edited by Capt Spaulding; 04-13-2021 at 11:54 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Capt Spaulding For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (04-13-2021), Spuds (04-13-2021), Ultramaroon (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 11:34 AM   #1618
dpfarr

Drives: BRZ ts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post

Remember, an mRNA vaccine is not using an attenuated viral vaccine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpfarr For This Useful Post:
Jdmjunkie (04-13-2021), p1l0t (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 01:01 PM   #1619
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpfarr View Post
Remember, an mRNA vaccine is not using an attenuated viral vaccine.
Yes, that is the point.
p1l0t (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 01:28 PM   #1620
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,632 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I just feel that the same thing is being explained over and over again as if it will eventually get through.

But, I can tell you, it won't. If for some reason we enjoy the banter, then OK. But forget about people like Pilot, use common sense. He probably flies for Delta lol.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:45 PM   #1621
p1l0t

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
I just feel that the same thing is being explained over and over again as if it will eventually get through.

But, I can tell you, it won't. If for some reason we enjoy the banter, then OK. But forget about people like Pilot, use common sense. He probably flies for Delta lol.
Delta would be an upgrade, lol. Anyway no need for personal attacks you don't have hang out in this thread if it bothers you.

The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 03:32 PM   #1622
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
After faucis latest comments I'm beginning to reconsider the vaccine entirely. What's the point? Bullshit virtue signaling.

Last edited by Lantanafrs2; 04-13-2021 at 03:44 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
Jdmjunkie (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 04:00 PM   #1623
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,466 Times in 3,205 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
After faucis latest comments I'm beginning to reconsider the vaccine entirely. What's the point? Bullshit virtue signaling.
Care to share which comments?
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
Old 04-13-2021, 05:12 PM   #1624
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
Care to share which comments?
Sure. Let's start with him having no explanation for decline in cases where the mask mandates were ceased. Another is that we shouldn't dine indoors even after vaccination. Let's face it, hes lost his compass
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
Jdmjunkie (04-13-2021), p1l0t (04-13-2021), TommyW (04-13-2021)
Closed Thread

Tags
eagle5 got sandy vag, tread harder daddy, tylerlieberman is a cuck