follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-23-2016, 12:01 AM   #29
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sosick View Post
May i ask of ur alignment settings? I cant get -3 in front for camber with mines
For now I am still factory spec and height. it didnt look like I was going to get -3 just from eyeballing it I would guess I would only get -2 max the way it sits now if I lower it, but I do have camberbolts (not installed) they were always part of the plan. I also got LCA's for the rear so I got some wiggle room there.
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:09 AM   #30
sosick
fastest frs in sbg

Drives: sick ass ultramarine frs
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJFrick View Post
Hadn't popped the hood since the alignment, went and checked, not enough to go to -3; I'd have to add camber bolts.
Thanks i ordered bolts
sosick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:19 AM   #31
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
This isn't a comment on FAs but rather on coilovers (or any suspension in general)....but I highly recommend waiting until you have your winter tires off before testing/tuning/judging your shocks. Tires obviously make a huge difference in handling but also in ride. We always try to do our testing and baseline settings on the tires that we expect our customers to be running.

Even going from one summer tire to another we often find ourselves making an adjustment...so going from squishy sidewall winters to performance summers is a seriously big change.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (03-23-2016), go_a_way1 (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 04:34 PM   #32
Jason@DSG

Drives: 1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
These are certainly not better than the Ohlins. These are entry level coils with a few upgrades on them.
Please define entry level. Just because Fortune Auto has a good price-point doesn't make them entry level in any way. They're hand-built and fully customizable in the US. Nothing against Ohlins since we also sell them, however these stand up to Ohlins no problem and are leaps and bounds ahead of entry level coils (ie. BC, ISC, etc.)
Jason@DSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason@DSG For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 04:36 PM   #33
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
This isn't a comment on FAs but rather on coilovers (or any suspension in general)....but I highly recommend waiting until you have your winter tires off before testing/tuning/judging your shocks. Tires obviously make a huge difference in handling but also in ride. We always try to do our testing and baseline settings on the tires that we expect our customers to be running.

Even going from one summer tire to another we often find ourselves making an adjustment...so going from squishy sidewall winters to performance summers is a seriously big change.

- Andrew
Very good point haha!! I am going from blizzaks to Nitto NT01's so its going to completely change, but once I try those as well I will come back and update the thread. I didnt buy these coilovers for comfort but I was very impressed with the ride on my winters
Old 03-23-2016, 04:38 PM   #34
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@DSG View Post
Please define entry level. Just because Fortune Auto has a good price-point doesn't make them entry level in any way. They're hand-built and fully customizable in the US. Nothing against Ohlins since we also sell them, however these stand up to Ohlins no problem and are leaps and bounds ahead of entry level coils (ie. BC, ISC, etc.)
I can attest to that from the number of ride alongs I have been on in my quest for suspension. I have never rode on any of the top tier stuff so no comment on them
The Following User Says Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
Jason@DSG (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 04:42 PM   #35
Jason@DSG

Drives: 1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
I can attest to that from the number of ride alongs I have been on in my quest for suspension. I have never rode on any of the top tier stuff so no comment on them
Proving this even further, Fortune does have an entry level brand they just released called Prime Suspension to compete with the BC/ISC type coilovers.
Jason@DSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason@DSG For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (03-23-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 05:00 PM   #36
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

@Racecomp Engineering @Jason@DSG @sosick @LOLS2K @GeorgeJFrick

Hey guys, just a quick update. Got my summer wheels on about a week ago and it feels superb. I am on 17x8 (only weigh 18 pounds) rims with 225/45R/17 Nitto NT01's. I almost want to say they feel better with the summers then the winters but that is likely due to the lighter wheels or placebo effect haha!!

Living with these coils is easy, I forget I have them for most of the drive on my way to work (mainly 100+ km/h highway) They are stiffer for sure in parking lots and speed bumps but I got used to it real quick and still love the feel the car has

Performance:
With the tires I am running the amount of grip is absolutely ridiculous! I need to take my car to the skid pad to find out how many G's it can pull because I have taken a few empty exit ramps hard enough to slightly upset stomach from the lateral G's hahaha!! Now that being said these are 100 tread wear tires so most of the grip is from them, but the OEM suspension would have been so easily overloaded and these coils seem almost perfect for the tires. A slightly higher spring rate might be a better choice for these tires if it was a track car, but I use mine as a DD .

Now the bad: There is not nearly enough camber adjustment with just the top hats on these I had to buy camber bolts to get -2, with the bolts they maxed out at -3 (I did the alignment myself with the help of a tech cuz I work a dealership so I got to play around with it) I also have a slight noise coming from the back 2. They have done it since day 1 and sounds the same on both side. You only hear it on low speed bumps at like 10km/h and it sounds like a normal noise to me. I think it has to do with having solid tophats.

Overall I am 100% satisfied with them and would recommend them to anyone looking for a mid range coilover.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:03 PM   #37
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
LOL I ended up bending one of mine slightly
Old 04-13-2016, 05:18 PM   #38
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@DSG View Post
BC is also (claimed) hand built to order, what's your point? Just because they have the DSG name on them doesn't make them a heaven sent.

How do they stand up to Ohlins, and what factual information do you have in regards to that?
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (04-15-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 06:16 PM   #39
GeorgeJFrick

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited LR
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
@Racecomp Engineering @Jason@DSG @sosick @LOLS2K @GeorgeJFrick

Hey guys, just a quick update. Got my summer wheels on about a week ago and it feels superb. I am on 17x8 (only weigh 18 pounds) rims with 225/45R/17 Nitto NT01's. I almost want to say they feel better with the summers then the winters but that is likely due to the lighter wheels or placebo effect haha!!

Living with these coils is easy, I forget I have them for most of the drive on my way to work (mainly 100+ km/h highway) They are stiffer for sure in parking lots and speed bumps but I got used to it real quick and still love the feel the car has

Performance:
With the tires I am running the amount of grip is absolutely ridiculous! I need to take my car to the skid pad to find out how many G's it can pull because I have taken a few empty exit ramps hard enough to slightly upset stomach from the lateral G's hahaha!! Now that being said these are 100 tread wear tires so most of the grip is from them, but the OEM suspension would have been so easily overloaded and these coils seem almost perfect for the tires. A slightly higher spring rate might be a better choice for these tires if it was a track car, but I use mine as a DD .

Now the bad: There is not nearly enough camber adjustment with just the top hats on these I had to buy camber bolts to get -2, with the bolts they maxed out at -3 (I did the alignment myself with the help of a tech cuz I work a dealership so I got to play around with it) I also have a slight noise coming from the back 2. They have done it since day 1 and sounds the same on both side. You only hear it on low speed bumps at like 10km/h and it sounds like a normal noise to me. I think it has to do with having solid tophats.

Overall I am 100% satisfied with them and would recommend them to anyone looking for a mid range coilover.
I have two autocross events this weekend, and i'm continuing to reserve judgement until Sunday night. As previously discussed, if forced to write a review now, it would be neutral.
GeorgeJFrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeJFrick For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 06:19 PM   #40
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJFrick View Post
I have two autocross events this weekend, and i'm continuing to reserve judgement until Sunday night. As previously discussed, if forced to write a review now, it would be neutral.
I cant wait to read your take on them
Old 04-13-2016, 06:55 PM   #41
sosick
fastest frs in sbg

Drives: sick ass ultramarine frs
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
LOL I ended up bending one of mine slightly
I noticed that with the fa, when trying to get the most camber with the top bolt the socket hits the tab for the speed sensor. So i cut enuff away to max out camber without hitting the tab while tightening with a socket.
sosick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:52 PM   #42
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosick View Post
I noticed that with the fa, when trying to get the most camber with the top bolt the socket hits the tab for the speed sensor. So i cut enuff away to max out camber without hitting the tab while tightening with a socket.
I didnt seem to have that issue. I ended up bending one of the read adjusters is all lol