follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 10-25-2014, 04:19 AM   #127
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
Would E85 get rid of the occasional tip in knock I still get when shifting gears under certain conditions?
I used to be able to reproduce it every time, now I always fail at doing that like 1 in 20. Like once in a week of driving, and only tiny as well.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:04 AM   #128
Fizz
Senior Addict

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
I used to be able to reproduce it every time, now I always fail at doing that like 1 in 20. Like once in a week of driving, and only tiny as well.
You mean you could always reproduce it when on 98? Or when you first started using E85?
Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:36 AM   #129
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
You mean you could always reproduce it when on 98? Or when you first started using E85?
Yeap, 98.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:32 AM   #130
ZZT86

Drives: BR86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis View Post
I logged the drive to work, which means mostly fairly steady cruising, a little stop and go, a couple of hard runs passing people.
I'm seeing some commanded AFRs of 15, with actual of 20. The engine load shows as .15 or a little higher, so this is probably cruising on the highway. Is that normal on E85?
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
is that with throttle closed ?? if so thats normal.
Quote:
It could be. That's the problem with logging such a long drive. It's hard to remember what was going on at a particular time.

Your log should tell you this, provided you have selected it as a parameter to log.
ZZT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:37 AM   #131
MstrSHAKE

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Has anyone gone back to 93 because of gas prices? Im on the fence now.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:09 AM   #132
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MstrSHAKE View Post
I don't think anyone is running ethanol to save money. The mileage is not as good, so fuel costs end up comparable anyway. The whole point for people like us is power, although some would do it for the perceived drivability improvements.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:07 PM   #133
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MstrSHAKE View Post
I just went back last night, and gas price was one of many factors for me. 27mpg/93 vs 21mpg/E85 and here E85 cost more right now than 93. Add to that, that only 1 station that's out of my way has it, as winter is setting in cold starts are getting to be a pain in the rear, and I have a long trip coming up that I don't want to fill up my trunk with gas cans of E85 or map out places to fill up along the way. I just have to wait a few days for my computer to relearn before I can test the performance difference, and feel.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:42 PM   #134
Trettiosjuan

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't think anyone is running ethanol to save money. The mileage is not as good, so fuel costs end up comparable anyway. The whole point for people like us is power, although some would do it for the perceived drivability improvements.
Over here it is a lot cheaper so I gain financially (medium term). I love the added driveability and power is nice but far from my main objective.

Also as far fetched it may seem to a (US?) car forum, I actually care that it reduces my carbon footprint a little bit and provides some form of alternative (far from the best but still). Owning a car is my biggest impact, otherwise I live in a small house with geothermal heating, bike shortish distances quite a lot, eat mostly vegetarian and avoid unecessary flights. As for satisfying my driving hobby, this car combo has a very high fun to impact ratio, and suprisingly practical/usable to boot

Please no flaming, not judging anyone here, just want to show what a wide public this car has
Trettiosjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trettiosjuan For This Useful Post:
Pseud0logik (10-30-2014)
Old 10-26-2014, 11:12 PM   #135
mid_life_crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target70 View Post
I just went back last night, and gas price was one of many factors for me. 27mpg/93 vs 21mpg/E85 and here E85 cost more right now than 93. Add to that, that only 1 station that's out of my way has it, as winter is setting in cold starts are getting to be a pain in the rear, and I have a long trip coming up that I don't want to fill up my trunk with gas cans of E85 or map out places to fill up along the way. I just have to wait a few days for my computer to relearn before I can test the performance difference, and feel.
I have trouble wrapping my brain around 93 being less expensive than ethanol. I suppose I should check locally what with the price of gasoline dropping and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trettiosjuan View Post
Over here it is a lot cheaper so I gain financially (medium term). I love the added driveability and power is nice but far from my main objective.

Also as far fetched it may seem to a (US?) car forum, I actually care that it reduces my carbon footprint a little bit and provides some form of alternative (far from the best but still). Owning a car is my biggest impact, otherwise I live in a small house with geothermal heating, bike shortish distances quite a lot, eat mostly vegetarian and avoid unecessary flights. As for satisfying my driving hobby, this car combo has a very high fun to impact ratio, and suprisingly practical/usable to boot

Please no flaming, not judging anyone here, just want to show what a wide public this car has
I knew the car is pretty well global in popularity, but I made the narrow minded mistake of thinking locally. Ethanol is a pain in the butt between getting it and redoing maps to make it usable, at least around here. It's hard to imagine doing it for anything other than an increase in driving pleasure.
The Following User Says Thank You to mid_life_crisis For This Useful Post:
Trettiosjuan (10-29-2014)
Old 10-26-2014, 11:34 PM   #136
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
I have trouble wrapping my brain around 93 being less expensive than ethanol. I suppose I should check locally what with the price of gasoline dropping and all.
It wasn't always cheaper. It used to cost about $3.05/per gallon while 93 was $3.50 per gallon, which still works out to cost more per mile. But right now according to these online sources:
http://www.altfuelprices.com/station...Warner-Robins/

E85 is sitting at $3.25 per gallon

http://www.georgiagasprices.com/inde...s&dl=Y&intro=Y

93 can be as low as $2.95 per gallon

Others have pointed out that they can get E85 for $2.50/gallon and If I could get that price I would just adjust my tune for cold starts, buy some 5gal tanks, and stick with E85. But right now with it being about 22% less mpg, and 9% more expensive, It adds up to about $12 more per tank. (assuming my math isn't screwy).

also without wanting to flame, I think it's been proven that the manufacture of E85 produces more carbon than it's use saves.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:43 AM   #137
DC2R

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Target70 View Post
It wasn't always cheaper. It used to cost about $3.05/per gallon while 93 was $3.50 per gallon, which still works out to cost more per mile. But right now according to these online sources:
http://www.altfuelprices.com/station...Warner-Robins/

E85 is sitting at $3.25 per gallon

http://www.georgiagasprices.com/inde...s&dl=Y&intro=Y

93 can be as low as $2.95 per gallon

Others have pointed out that they can get E85 for $2.50/gallon and If I could get that price I would just adjust my tune for cold starts, buy some 5gal tanks, and stick with E85. But right now with it being about 22% less mpg, and 9% more expensive, It adds up to about $12 more per tank. (assuming my math isn't screwy).

also without wanting to flame, I think it's been proven that the manufacture of E85 produces more carbon than it's use saves.
Yeah was about same cost per mile but now tempting. I ran on empty light for about forty miles and finally broke down and had to pump 93 since no one had ethanol

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
DC2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:29 AM   #138
mid_life_crisis

After driving for a few days with the edited Crank Pulse Width tables, I can say that it was a definite improvement. After editing, every time I started the car cold, it took two attempts. Didn't matter if it was 40 or 60 degrees out. It was like the system needed to be primed or something. It beat the heck out of the half dozen or so it used to take.
I've since gone back to 93 because I got tired of being late for dinner at least once a week because of the lousy availability.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:54 PM   #139
Luckrider
My Other Ride's a Jeep

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
After driving for a few days with the edited Crank Pulse Width tables, I can say that it was a definite improvement. After editing, every time I started the car cold, it took two attempts. Didn't matter if it was 40 or 60 degrees out. It was like the system needed to be primed or something. It beat the heck out of the half dozen or so it used to take.
I've since gone back to 93 because I got tired of being late for dinner at least once a week because of the lousy availability.
I wish I could get RR working again because I am down to click click vroom on ever start down to 30 degrees (the lowest it has been this season). If I remember correctly from last winter, I have never needed more than two tries to fire up the car down to I believe as low as -10F.
Luckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:25 PM   #140
mid_life_crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckrider View Post
I wish I could get RR working again because I am down to click click vroom on ever start down to 30 degrees (the lowest it has been this season). If I remember correctly from last winter, I have never needed more than two tries to fire up the car down to I believe as low as -10F.
RR?