follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-23-2023, 03:40 PM   #1107
fredzy
Mebmer
 
fredzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Drives: Sienna, GR86, FL5
Location: PA
Posts: 628
Thanks: 399
Thanked 462 Times in 287 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
My FK8 sits in a weird position, while it makes lots of sense to daily it still and have a BRZ for track instead, Iíd rather the FK8 be saved from snow and salt instead of the easily obtainable and cheaper BRZ. Had I not this dilemma of weather, Iíd do just that.

An FL5 would be a great daily or even just a great car to compliment the BRZ like you say, itís a much more luxury place to sit and can easily be driven very lax and.. grandpa like. If it made sense to have two type R I probably would.
To salt or not to salt an FL5.. I really bent my brain out of shape last year over that, very similar dilemma. I was locked in @ $5k markup, which is still about as good as it gets a year later. So looking at over $50k for a FWD car I will have to use year round unless I get ANOTHER car as dedicated winter beater. I felt stupid enough having one vehicle that's useless for half the year so it wasn't sitting great.

I had just about made up my mind to wait on Type R until markups receded (how's that working out?) to help justify some kind of beater but then an MSRP GR Corolla fell into my lap and I said screw it, makes more sense for me. I have no reservations about mucking it up. Being like $12k cheaper was also nice.
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 11:33 AM   #1108
mazeroni
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,117
Thanks: 600
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
95K miles. Relatively low running costs thus far. No debt. Insurance is cheap. It is so nice not having to care about bird poop and and people dinging my doors.

Just had a rear differential service done. Replacing the tires this weekend with some cheap Firestone A/S tires because I am 35 now and for whatever reason that means I drive under the speed limit and take corners at a reasonable speed and rather be safe than sorry.

If I can get a few more years out of it without any major costs, I think I'll be super happy. I did want a GR86 Premium, but now I am kind of meh on the whole thing.

My sights are actually now set on a new Frontier. I feel like that could end up being a forever truck since that platform has been around forever.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 09:38 AM   #1109
OkieSnuffBox
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 1,987
Thanks: 660
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeroni View Post
95K miles. Relatively low running costs thus far. No debt. Insurance is cheap. It is so nice not having to care about bird poop and and people dinging my doors.

Just had a rear differential service done. Replacing the tires this weekend with some cheap Firestone A/S tires because I am 35 now and for whatever reason that means I drive under the speed limit and take corners at a reasonable speed and rather be safe than sorry.

If I can get a few more years out of it without any major costs, I think I'll be super happy. I did want a GR86 Premium, but now I am kind of meh on the whole thing.

My sights are actually now set on a new Frontier. I feel like that could end up being a forever truck since that platform has been around forever.
Is it the same platform? I know it's a new engine vs the the 4.0 V6 that was in my '11 Pro-4X.
__________________
"95% of the time, more throttle is the answer. 5% of the time, it ends the suspense."
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 12:39 PM   #1110
menikmati
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Drives: 2015 BRZ, 2005 STI
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 335
Thanks: 228
Thanked 225 Times in 118 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzy View Post
To salt or not to salt an FL5.. I really bent my brain out of shape last year over that, very similar dilemma. I was locked in @ $5k markup, which is still about as good as it gets a year later. So looking at over $50k for a FWD car I will have to use year round unless I get ANOTHER car as dedicated winter beater. I felt stupid enough having one vehicle that's useless for half the year so it wasn't sitting great.

I had just about made up my mind to wait on Type R until markups receded (how's that working out?) to help justify some kind of beater but then an MSRP GR Corolla fell into my lap and I said screw it, makes more sense for me. I have no reservations about mucking it up. Being like $12k cheaper was also nice.
I hate that the car market has gotten to the point where $5k markup on a FL5 is considered a good deal, but that's how it is. I'm currently sitting on a waitlist for MSRP and have moved up one position in ~10 months, so I don't really have my hopes up. Current interest rates don't help, either.

When/if the time comes, I will have to make the decision of keeping my 05 STI or going for the FL5.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to menikmati For This Useful Post:
fredzy (10-26-2023), Jordanwolf (10-25-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 12:44 PM   #1111
Jordanwolf
Rice King
 
Jordanwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Location: The land of the North
Posts: 2,887
Thanks: 1,079
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzy View Post
To salt or not to salt an FL5.. I really bent my brain out of shape last year over that, very similar dilemma. I was locked in @ $5k markup, which is still about as good as it gets a year later. So looking at over $50k for a FWD car I will have to use year round unless I get ANOTHER car as dedicated winter beater. I felt stupid enough having one vehicle that's useless for half the year so it wasn't sitting great.

I had just about made up my mind to wait on Type R until markups receded (how's that working out?) to help justify some kind of beater but then an MSRP GR Corolla fell into my lap and I said screw it, makes more sense for me. I have no reservations about mucking it up. Being like $12k cheaper was also nice.
Have you had the chance to drive a Type R on any sort of closed circuit? Itís one of those cars the actually makes you forget itís FWD. I only bring it up because I see and hear the FWD thing being a negative aspect all too often, but when you realize that a Type R, most notably FK8 and FL5 both rotate better and accelerate better than the vast majority of similarly priced (ignore markups for a sec) RWD/AWD sporty cars on the market these day, all it does is make me believe most people arenít all that enthusiastic about cars these days.

Let me be clear though, the Type R is a very clear exception in the FWD world when talking stock. Those funky Hyundais are apparently quite lively too, not driven one though, and over in Europe land the Megane is praised.

I might be weird, but in all honesty, I think for me AWD is completely out of the picture now, itís only FWD or RWD for me and that would look something like: Type R, Si(with mods), BRZ, M2 and SupraÖ. And any 2010+ RWD Porsche.
__________________
Glorious Honda.
Know my 5x120 GREATNESS PEASANTS.
Jordanwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 01:02 PM   #1112
Jordanwolf
Rice King
 
Jordanwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Location: The land of the North
Posts: 2,887
Thanks: 1,079
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
I hate that the car market has gotten to the point where $5k markup on a FL5 is considered a good deal, but that's how it is. I'm currently sitting on a waitlist for MSRP and have moved up one position in ~10 months, so I don't really have my hopes up. Current interest rates don't help, either.

When/if the time comes, I will have to make the decision of keeping my 05 STI or going for the FL5.
FL5, and I say that knowing entirely that my bias is very apparent. Maybe not at a 5k markup, but the state of the market is obviously dire.

STiís are a thing of the past, literally.
__________________
Glorious Honda.
Know my 5x120 GREATNESS PEASANTS.
Jordanwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 01:07 PM   #1113
menikmati
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Drives: 2015 BRZ, 2005 STI
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 335
Thanks: 228
Thanked 225 Times in 118 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
FL5, and I say that knowing entirely that my bias is very apparent. Maybe not at a 5k markup, but the state of the market is obviously dire.

STi’s are a thing of the past, literally.
The FL5 in CW is my dream.

The EJ is a fucking dinosaur of an engine and I honestly think it overstayed its welcome as the generations went by.

I am biased towards the UEL sound, though. It excites something in my brain that I can't explain.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to menikmati For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (10-27-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 02:08 PM   #1114
Lantanafrs2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: 2013 frs red
Location: South Florida
Posts: 3,517
Thanks: 2,520
Thanked 3,089 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
The FL5 in CW is my dream.

The EJ is a fucking dinosaur of an engine and I honestly think it overstayed its welcome as the generations went by.

I am biased towards the UEL sound, though. It excites something in my brain that I can't explain.
Misfire fetish
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (10-27-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 02:48 PM   #1115
fredzy
Mebmer
 
fredzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Drives: Sienna, GR86, FL5
Location: PA
Posts: 628
Thanks: 399
Thanked 462 Times in 287 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Have you had the chance to drive a Type R on any sort of closed circuit? Itís one of those cars the actually makes you forget itís FWD. I only bring it up because I see and hear the FWD thing being a negative aspect all too often, but when you realize that a Type R, most notably FK8 and FL5 both rotate better and accelerate better than the vast majority of similarly priced (ignore markups for a sec) RWD/AWD sporty cars on the market these day, all it does is make me believe most people arenít all that enthusiastic about cars these days.

Let me be clear though, the Type R is a very clear exception in the FWD world when talking stock. Those funky Hyundais are apparently quite lively too, not driven one though, and over in Europe land the Megane is praised.

I might be weird, but in all honesty, I think for me AWD is completely out of the picture now, itís only FWD or RWD for me and that would look something like: Type R, Si(with mods), BRZ, M2 and SupraÖ. And any 2010+ RWD Porsche.
Oh yeah FWD doesn't really cost FL5 any points in the performance/fun department for me. It's only a ding against it from DD perspective since I'm in the snow belt. That's not even a big W for the Corolla since I don't do any crazy inclement weather driving, it's just a nice to have for the couple of really hairy days per season. Snow tires take care of most of that issue to where AWD isn't a big deal.

Maybe AWD influences the character of the GRC more than I'd guess and accounts for a lot of what's fun about it (it is definitely a blast.) I've never gone into FWD/limp mode yet to see.

Reality is FL5 or GRC, neither would ever see track time, only GR86 will. So characteristics that make a fun daily are weighted more for me than outright performance and I think that would keep them on a similar level. I'm trying not to give it much space in my head haha, I can't imagine actually chasing an FL5 again
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fredzy For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (10-27-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 08:32 PM   #1116
ZDan
Senior Member
 
ZDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Drives: '23 BRZ
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 4,597
Thanks: 1,382
Thanked 3,909 Times in 2,039 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
fwd will always suck. If I can’t power slide it I’m not interested…
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Arthur-A (10-27-2023), Ultramaroon (10-27-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 08:15 AM   #1117
Jordanwolf
Rice King
 
Jordanwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Location: The land of the North
Posts: 2,887
Thanks: 1,079
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
fwd will always suck. If I canít power slide it Iím not interestedÖ
Why would you get a BRZ then if power sliding is so important?
__________________
Glorious Honda.
Know my 5x120 GREATNESS PEASANTS.
Jordanwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (10-27-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 08:25 AM   #1118
Jordanwolf
Rice King
 
Jordanwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Location: The land of the North
Posts: 2,887
Thanks: 1,079
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzy View Post
Oh yeah FWD doesn't really cost FL5 any points in the performance/fun department for me. It's only a ding against it from DD perspective since I'm in the snow belt. That's not even a big W for the Corolla since I don't do any crazy inclement weather driving, it's just a nice to have for the couple of really hairy days per season. Snow tires take care of most of that issue to where AWD isn't a big deal.

Maybe AWD influences the character of the GRC more than I'd guess and accounts for a lot of what's fun about it (it is definitely a blast.) I've never gone into FWD/limp mode yet to see.

Reality is FL5 or GRC, neither would ever see track time, only GR86 will. So characteristics that make a fun daily are weighted more for me than outright performance and I think that would keep them on a similar level. I'm trying not to give it much space in my head haha, I can't imagine actually chasing an FL5 again
Itís a shame, FL5 and GRC are cars to be experienced at least once on the track, but if stars donít align then I get it.

A fun daily is for sure important and FWD can often times feel muted on your regular old drives to and from, so a GRC is definitely a great choice for that, especially in a good snow storm heheÖ oh and let me tell you about how bad FWD launches are unless in absolutely perfect conditions and zero mechanical sympathy.
__________________
Glorious Honda.
Know my 5x120 GREATNESS PEASANTS.
Jordanwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
fredzy (10-30-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 09:08 AM   #1119
ZDan
Senior Member
 
ZDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Drives: '23 BRZ
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 4,597
Thanks: 1,382
Thanked 3,909 Times in 2,039 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Why would you get a BRZ then if power sliding is so important?
Powerslides are a regular occurrence at the track, overcook corner a bit and *wheeee*! Seldom intentionally as trying to set faster times, but still fun to hang it out for a bit once in a while
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 12:57 PM   #1120
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 31,953
Thanks: 52,318
Thanked 36,623 Times in 18,984 Posts
Mentioned: 1110 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Powerslides are a regular occurrence at the track, overcook corner a bit and *wheeee*! Seldom intentionally as trying to set faster times, but still fun to hang it out for a bit once in a while
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (10-27-2023)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another good reason to drive an AT Hotrodheart Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 31 07-13-2016 01:00 AM
A Good Reason to Stay With Narrow 17s FlamingRectumSyndrome Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack 32 04-30-2014 04:18 PM
FA20CLUB: GOOD REASON TO REMOVE YOUR TURBO KIT RIGHT AWAY.... FA20Club.com Forced Induction 27 06-21-2013 11:19 PM
Car Name; Reason why FT-86 won't stick xantonin Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 54 07-17-2011 12:52 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.