follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-16-2023, 06:28 PM   #29
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 31,953
Thanks: 52,318
Thanked 36,623 Times in 18,984 Posts
Mentioned: 1110 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltsFRS2013 View Post
I've always ran 0W-20 and had no issues, however I think i'll be swapping over to 5W-20 on my next change.
The five (5) part in 5W-20 doesn't give you anything except higher pressure on cold start and lower fuel efficiency. 0w-30 is the correct choice. edit: ...in the sense of taking advantage of modern chemistry in lubricants. I read back and saw Tokay's post about using 0w-40. That is the more correct choice.
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
bradsm87 (02-16-2023), Tokay444 (02-17-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 10:46 PM   #30
bradsm87
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Drives: It has 4 wheels
Location: Australia
Posts: 101
Thanks: 17
Thanked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Also any 0 weight oil is made from 100% man-made synthetic base stock oil. 5 weight and higher oil is made from crude oil base and modified enough to be called "Full Synthetic". That is why 0w-20 will cost more than 5w-30 from the same brand.
I used to be dead against 5w-30 for this reason, however when you look and the individual viscosity specs, many 5w-30 oils could just as easily be labelled as a 0w-30, but for some reason, 0w-30 never took off as a manufacturer spec BUT you look at a modern API SP Resource Conserving and ILSAC GF-6A compliant 5w-30 oil and it has a high viscosity index and it could just as easily be branded as a 0w-30. To meet these modern specs, they do actually need a nice high viscosity index and good base stocks. I think these modern oils should just be branded as 0w-30 because they are much thinner when cold than what most 5w-30 oils used to be.
bradsm87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 03:31 AM   #31
x808drifter
LMGTFY
 
x808drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Location: Lava Town, HI
Posts: 2,776
Thanks: 5,561
Thanked 3,647 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokay444 View Post
Which brings us back to the EPA. Thanks for playing.
Witch brings us again to the EPA only being a USA thing.

Why is this posed in a AUS manual then?
Why do the other NON USA vehicles that use the same engine also use 0W-20?
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 08:24 AM   #32
Tokay444
Anti stance.
 
Tokay444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Location: Not Canada
Posts: 1,641
Thanks: 904
Thanked 962 Times in 550 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
Witch brings us again to the EPA only being a USA thing.

Why is this posed in a AUS manual then?
Why do the other NON USA vehicles that use the same engine also use 0W-20?
To hit advertised fuel economy numbers, and so they can sell you a new car when the warranty is over, because you need one. It certainly isn't for engine longevity.
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 09:37 AM   #33
Tcoat
Senior Member
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 69,845
Thanks: 61,656
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
Witch brings us again to the EPA only being a USA thing.

Why is this posed in a AUS manual then?
Why do the other NON USA vehicles that use the same engine also use 0W-20?
Almost every country in the world has their equivalent to the EPA. Most of the requirements laid out by the EPA in the US are set by standard international agreements.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 04:08 PM   #34
VoltsFRS2013
Senior Member
 
VoltsFRS2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: 2022' GR86 Premium 6MT
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 772
Thanks: 547
Thanked 429 Times in 259 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
The five (5) part in 5W-20 doesn't give you anything except higher pressure on cold start and lower fuel efficiency. 0w-30 is the correct choice. edit: ...in the sense of taking advantage of modern chemistry in lubricants. I read back and saw Tokay's post about using 0w-40. That is the more correct choice.
I disagree, only because of these few snippets from the GR Forum. I'd just post a link to the thread but I don't think it allows me to do that on here. It will censor the link




Among other things that individual has posted with statistics and logic to back it up, 5w20 is my go to
__________________
22' Toyota GR86 - Trueno Blue - M/T (CURRENT)
18' Toyota 86 GT Black - Moonslate Gray - M/T (SOLD)
13' Scion FRS - Ultramarine - A/T (SOLD)
VoltsFRS2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VoltsFRS2013 For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (02-17-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 05:31 PM   #35
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 31,953
Thanks: 52,318
Thanked 36,623 Times in 18,984 Posts
Mentioned: 1110 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltsFRS2013 View Post
I disagree, only because of these few snippets from the GR Forum. I'd just post a link to the thread but I don't think it allows me to do that on here.
Seems legit. As for my own machine, I've run the mobile-1 0w-20 exclusively and adjust my oil cooler flow to maintain ~75 PSI max pressure. It coincidentally works out to ~180 degrees F, which is in line with the service manual.

I think engine longevity is more tied to build precision/quality than choice of lubricant. If the bearings are going to scuff hard, might as well get the rebuild over with sooner than later.
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
VoltsFRS2013 (02-17-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 06:10 PM   #36
Jianlun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Drives: GR86 RC
Location: Singapore
Posts: 203
Thanks: 84
Thanked 179 Times in 92 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Seems legit. As for my own machine, I've run the mobile-1 0w-20 exclusively and adjust my oil cooler flow to maintain ~75 PSI max pressure. It coincidentally works out to ~180 degrees F, which is in line with the service manual.

I think engine longevity is more tied to build precision/quality than choice of lubricant. If the bearings are going to scuff hard, might as well get the rebuild over with sooner than later.
Hiw do you adjust your oil cooler flow? Have a bypass with a manual valve? Always wondered if i should do that. Bypass 50% for normal days and close the value right up (no bypass) on track days.
Jianlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 06:20 PM   #37
VoltsFRS2013
Senior Member
 
VoltsFRS2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: 2022' GR86 Premium 6MT
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 772
Thanks: 547
Thanked 429 Times in 259 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Seems legit. As for my own machine, I've run the mobile-1 0w-20 exclusively and adjust my oil cooler flow to maintain ~75 PSI max pressure. It coincidentally works out to ~180 degrees F, which is in line with the service manual.

I think engine longevity is more tied to build precision/quality than choice of lubricant. If the bearings are going to scuff hard, might as well get the rebuild over with sooner than later.
I've agree! I'm only making the switch to 5w20 just because of some stuff I've read into and knowing my driving habits. In the end though, does it really make a difference? who knows lol

The oil debate will always go on and on. I think if you're really pushing the car or tracking the car, you should focus more on how can i mitigate the risk of the oil overheating vs what the minute differences between a 0w20, 5w20 and 5w30 etc are going to do for you.

That's just my opinion though
__________________
22' Toyota GR86 - Trueno Blue - M/T (CURRENT)
18' Toyota 86 GT Black - Moonslate Gray - M/T (SOLD)
13' Scion FRS - Ultramarine - A/T (SOLD)
VoltsFRS2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VoltsFRS2013 For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (02-17-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 07:58 PM   #38
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 31,953
Thanks: 52,318
Thanked 36,623 Times in 18,984 Posts
Mentioned: 1110 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jianlun View Post
Hiw do you adjust your oil cooler flow? Have a bypass with a manual valve? Always wondered if i should do that. Bypass 50% for normal days and close the value right up (no bypass) on track days.
Exactly! The diverter valve was a lucky find. I now realize it's a unicorn designed by @VerusEric in a past life.
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 08:02 PM   #39
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 31,953
Thanks: 52,318
Thanked 36,623 Times in 18,984 Posts
Mentioned: 1110 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltsFRS2013 View Post
That's just my opinion though
Haha.... ditto.
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
VoltsFRS2013 (02-17-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 03:52 AM   #40
bradsm87
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Drives: It has 4 wheels
Location: Australia
Posts: 101
Thanks: 17
Thanked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
Witch brings us again to the EPA only being a USA thing.

Why is this posed in a AUS manual then?
Why do the other NON USA vehicles that use the same engine also use 0W-20?
Because the USA manuals make no mention of anything other than 0w-20 being acceptable other than top-ups. Japanese and Australian manuals not only say 5w-30 is fine but they even say thicker than 0w-20 should be used under harsh conditions. The USA has all the language about 5w-30 or 0w-30 stripped out. The engines are not different between countries.
bradsm87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 04:08 AM   #41
bradsm87
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Drives: It has 4 wheels
Location: Australia
Posts: 101
Thanks: 17
Thanked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Interestingly, the Australian BRZ owner's manual says that you can just use any 0w-20, 5w-20, 0w-30 or 5w-30 ACEA A3 or A5 oil.

I'll still use an API SP Resource Conserving and ILSAC GF-6A oil anyway because there is a good option readily available to me but there are a huge amount of A3/A5 oils that are not compliant with the SN, SN Plus or SP Resource Conserving, GF-5 or GF-6A spec, that Subaru Australia deem fine for the BRZ.
Attached Images
 
bradsm87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 11:17 PM   #42
timurrrr
Senior Member
 
timurrrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Drives: 2022 GR86
Location: Between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Posts: 1,712
Thanks: 2,134
Thanked 1,305 Times in 721 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Exactly! The diverter valve was a lucky find. I now realize it's a unicorn designed by @VerusEric in a past life.
Would you mind taking a few pictures and starting a new thread?
__________________
Follow the build thread for my GR86!
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timurrrr For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (02-19-2023)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BRZ Owners Manual boxer_boy Want-To-Buy Requests 2 01-29-2015 09:11 AM
Useful additions to the BRZ owners manual mike_ekim1024 BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics 1 04-08-2013 08:24 PM
FR-S Owners Manual EBMCS03 Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 7 11-18-2012 11:58 AM
Owners Manual Recall Opie BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics 8 06-05-2012 10:09 PM
Did everyone get their new owners manual yet? Dave-ROR BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics 15 06-03-2012 12:43 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.