follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-22-2015, 06:37 PM   #1
dazbrz

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Catted front pipe with headers

Hi guys,

Just need some opinions on this. Im currently running Ace headers with rest stock front and mid pipe, and a STI axle back exhaust. I'm happy with the noise level atm loud when i floor it but quiet enough when im driving normally.

Question is if I added a after market catted front pipe how much louder/rasp/drone would i get if any? Ive seen on the forums that some people say itll make it alot louder and others say nothings changed. Does it matter which brand I go with as well?? Keen to do it to save the weight and gain some minor performance. But if it makes it significantly louder or droney then i'll just make do with that I have

I was looking at mxp/nividia/ark catted front pipes. I dont want to go completely catless cuz we got strict rules here in aus.

Other parts I have on atm are:
Greddy intake snorkel
Apexi panel filter
Mishimoto inlet hose
custom tune
dazbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:13 PM   #2
86Hiro

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Let me give you some insight on my current setup. I just installed a full header back system this past Saturday. Borla Version 2 UEL catless headers, Invidia Overpipe, Invidia catless front pipe, Invidia N1 Titanium tip catback. It is the closest sounding system to a catless STi. No CEL has came on either. I drove about 100 miles in the past day since install, consistently doing 60-65mph on the highway with Cruise Control. The "drone" to me is low enough to not worry about it. I just turn the radio to 15 VOLUME, and it's gone. Sounds absolutely amazing! If your the kind of person that gets aggravated easily by change, then I say stay with what you have now. If you want to add the front pipe, and over pipe, then do it! It's only a few bolts, even if you don't like it.
86Hiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:07 PM   #3
TruRace

Drives: FRS-Raven-MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I am running a UEL, overpipe, catted front pipe, stock midpipe, and a borla axle back. It is not loud at all. There is a little more "rumble" in cabin over stock but I can barely notice sometimes.
TruRace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:15 PM   #4
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
86Hiro: What overpipe addition to Ace's?
It has own integrated to enable longer runner lengths.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:28 PM   #5
_______

Drives: SWP Subaru BRZ
I'm currently running an Invidia catted front pipe and Q300 with Tomei UEL headers and there is no drone whatsoever. It gets pretty loud when I'm at 50% throttle or above but it returns to stock levels of noise when cruising. As far as adding the front pipe it will get subtly louder.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:06 PM   #6
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazbrz View Post
Hi guys,

Just need some opinions on this. Im currently running Ace headers with rest stock front and mid pipe, and a STI axle back exhaust. I'm happy with the noise level atm loud when i floor it but quiet enough when im driving normally.

Question is if I added a after market catted front pipe how much louder/rasp/drone would i get if any? Ive seen on the forums that some people say itll make it alot louder and others say nothings changed. Does it matter which brand I go with as well?? Keen to do it to save the weight and gain some minor performance. But if it makes it significantly louder or droney then i'll just make do with that I have

I was looking at mxp/nividia/ark catted front pipes. I dont want to go completely catless cuz we got strict rules here in aus.

Other parts I have on atm are:
Greddy intake snorkel
Apexi panel filter
Mishimoto inlet hose
custom tune
Ok the STI axel back is a very quiet exhaust. Probably similar to my HKS Legamax.

Adding catless header will make it louder same for adding Hi flow catted front pipe. Adding both those pieces will make it substantially louder than what it is now this is 100% certian.

I actually took my hi-flow catted front pipe off and put stock front pipe on as it was too loud with catless header even with one of the quietest catback (HKS legamax).

If you are at all concerned about loudness/rasp then just add the catless header and leave the stock catted front pipe in. Its very unlikely to drone with STI axelback.

If you are ok with noise level from catless header the frontpipe is easy

addition. however it will be substantially louder.

If you want it quiet and have catless header and hi-flow cat front pipe, put the stock catback back on.

Hi low cat front pipe is only worth a couple of hp or so if you already have catless header. Stock catback flows well it just not the best sound arround.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
dazbrz (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 10:08 PM   #7
dazbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Hiro View Post
Let me give you some insight on my current setup. I just installed a full header back system this past Saturday. Borla Version 2 UEL catless headers, Invidia Overpipe, Invidia catless front pipe, Invidia N1 Titanium tip catback. It is the closest sounding system to a catless STi. No CEL has came on either. I drove about 100 miles in the past day since install, consistently doing 60-65mph on the highway with Cruise Control. The "drone" to me is low enough to not worry about it. I just turn the radio to 15 VOLUME, and it's gone. Sounds absolutely amazing! If your the kind of person that gets aggravated easily by change, then I say stay with what you have now. If you want to add the front pipe, and over pipe, then do it! It's only a few bolts, even if you don't like it.
thanks for that! Ace headers already have an intergrated overpipe (running 250) =) long runners.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:11 PM   #8
dazbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Ok the STI axel back is a very quiet exhaust. Probably similar to my HKS Legamax.

Adding catless header will make it louder same for adding Hi flow catted front pipe. Adding both those pieces will make it substantially louder than what it is now this is 100% certian.

I actually took my hi-flow catted front pipe off and put stock front pipe on as it was too loud with catless header even with one of the quietest catback (HKS legamax).

If you are at all concerned about loudness/rasp then just add the catless header and leave the stock catted front pipe in. Its very unlikely to drone with STI axelback.

If you are ok with noise level from catless hearer the frontpipe is easy

addition. however it will be substantially louder.

If you want it quiet and have catless header and hi-flow cat front pipe, put the stock catback back on.

Hi low cat front pipe is only worth a couple of hp or so if you already have catless header. Stock catback flows well it just not the best sound arround.
I dont mind loud, but not loud till the point where an hour into my drive I'll have a headache or attract more cops ahaha I'm currently happy with the noise level...easily bearable, but if you say by adding a hi flow catted front pipe will make the car substantially louder then i'll leave it as is and spend my money else where =)
Old 11-22-2015, 10:12 PM   #9
twag4

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazbrz View Post
thanks for that! Ace headers already have an intergrated overpipe (running 250) =) long runners.
Too bad you right hand drive guys can't run the 350 over pipe. It is a thing of beauty and even longer runners. Great midrange
twag4 is offline   Reply With Quote