follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-28-2012, 11:49 PM   #1
Pscylo

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
5k~ Miles - Clutch with extreme broken glass noise

And I am not talking about the typical grind that comes from the triple cone clutch they use. I am talking about a sound similar to ceramics being busted and just rolling end over end inside a metal housing.

Taking it in the morning to the dealer, more to follow.
Pscylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Video would be nice.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Pscylo

Garage
Sure, if I could take a video....with my phone.....while driving/shifting. Noise was gone this morning and came back after about 15 of the 20 miles in stop and go traffic. It was 106 yesterday when driving 20ish miles in stop and go traffic, so temperature might (probably is) playing a role.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
Tanuki
Turtle Factory

Drives: Mint M3
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pscylo View Post
Sure, if I could take a video....with my phone.....while driving/shifting.
You could have the passenger film it, or just hit record and throw the phone on your seat. We want the sound, not your beautiful face.
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
vobla6.0
Resident Douchebag

Drives: balla'
Is the engagement- disengagement smooth? Do you have difficulties putting car into gear?
vobla6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
Pscylo

Garage
Haha. Shifting is normal, isn't jerky or slipping like a burnt clutch would be....

If you took the normal notchy sound of 1st gear parking lot slow rolling, and amplify that several times over, that's what it sounds like....almost a gearbox with no fluid sound (think rattlecan)...which is why I think it might be heat related....like the stock fluid isn't handling the excessive heat on top of stop and go traffic...
Old 08-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
Pscylo

Garage
While I was there I mentioned a few other things...

1. Clutch/Gearbox - They don't know what is really normal, so they aren't sure what to do, level of noise isn't able to be duplicated because the car sat for 3 hours, and wasn't cooking from the 106 degree heat after over an hour of stop and go traffic. The noise was there after a short 3 mile circle, but I drove the tech around to point out the noise I was talking about, and told him to amplify it by 20 as if there was only water in the gearbox and not oil....because it wasn't the same gut wrenching level of oh shit, nothing was done...by the time I got home, it had increased in volume again, but the service dept is now closed. Paper trail started for when it dumps on me.

2. Dash speaker cover pops up - TSB has been issued according to the dealership, and they replaced it with the proper fitting part.

3. Door speaker sounded blown/distorted/rattling - It took 5 techs to figure out how to remove the door panel, foam inserts were placed around loose items in door that were hitting against the speaker surface.

4. Fuel Pump/Bucket o crickets - Ya, we know its normal. But the case was opened, and failure is expected and accepted as an eventuality, paper trail started. When they say high pressure, they mean 2600ish psi.

Also, Had a conversation about the probability of people flashing ECUs, and whether they could see it or not....with a definite no. (Stated elsewhere on the forum by someone else, but verified in person)
Old 08-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
LOL, wrong we can see when the ECU has been flashed...trust me. Been doing it on WRX's and STI's for years...and the BRZ ECU save a lot more info...top speed, rpm, gear selection, etc, etc...
Old 08-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #9
Pscylo

Garage
Talking about toyota....tks tho
Old 08-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #10
cnk

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
You do understand that your FRS is built by Subaru so if a Subaru dealership can see it, Toyota will have the same tools to see it as well right?

Although, most seem to think that the dealerships cannot see it currently, but corporate has tools that can detect it.
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:48 PM   #11
Yruyur

Drives: Scion fr-s asphalt M/T
Thanked 1,631 Times in 941 Posts
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
If we get a chance to meet tomorrow we can attach my go pro under your car and see if we can get the sound to duplicate on camera. I hate when the dealer says they can't duplicate things. My tailight was fogged over and since it dried out the dealer said they couldn't do anything even though I had detailed pics.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-30-2012, 01:12 AM   #12
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
LOL, wrong we can see when the ECU has been flashed...trust me. Been doing it on WRX's and STI's for years...and the BRZ ECU save a lot more info...top speed, rpm, gear selection, etc, etc...
There are ways to detect the flash, but it requires more digging than a basic once over with the dealer tools. You need to actively look around and piece things together.

Corporate is a different story. If they are looking for it, I would say just check the fuel mapping on any car. Almost every tuned car will have an altered map.
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote