follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > New England

New England MA, ME, NH, RI, VT

User Tag List

Old 09-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
Prog

Drives: 2016 Cadillac CTS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How do these cars do in the winter?

Hey guys, I'm currently in the south, but am planning on moving to southern New Hampshire in a couple years. I plan on getting an FR-S within the next year. I just wanted to know if these cars can handle snow okay with winter tires. I know they have low ground clearance all all-wheel drive is best in those conditions, but I know a bunch of people up there that are fine without AWD and just only drive after the plows go through. Just trying to plan for the future and see if I will need to get a winter beater or something. Thanks!
Prog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
SEARCH PLEASE.

Please? Come on.

Yes, they're fine. Buy snow tires. And use the search button. Kthxbai

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
WRXGuy1

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
It's horrible in the snow if you plan to drive it during or immediately after a snowstorm if there's more than a dusting on the roads. I had studless snow tires and even on slight inclines I couldn't start from a stop, I had to back up and get running starts. I live just west of Manchester so it's a little further north with more hills, and even though I made it most days it was not a fun experience.

WRXGuy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
SammyB

Drives: FR-S Asphalt
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I got my car in March, and the day after I got it, we got a mild snow storm. It was more slush. I drove in it with the stock Michelin Primacy HP tires on, and I did okay. I think snow tires will help out a lot. First day I drove it was still snowing, and I was doing back roads. I did fine, didn't have the tail kick out on me or anything.

Next day, roads weren't plowed very well, and as I got onto the on ramp, I hit a big pile a slush/snow at maybe 45mph, and did have the tail kick out on me slightly for a second. Little bit of counter steer, and I was fine.

I was unfamiliar with the car, having only driven in from the dealer to my house the day before the storm, so less than 5 miles. I feel like now, after nearly 12,000 miles, and with snow tires, it'll be nothing.
SammyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
WRXGuy1

It really depends on where exactly you'll be, if you're in central/eastern Mass you're fine as it's warmer in the winter with less snow and very few hills compared to western Mass or northern/western NH.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #6
rbizzle004

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It all depends on how good you are of a driver. In deep snow staring from a stop you may need to rock it. I drove it in southern WI last winter with no issues. I have snow tires and did get stuck in the parking lot due to a snow storm and deep snow but I was able to rock it out. But I'm also used to driving rear wheel cars ( Crown Vic, Charger) in the snow with none to little issues.
rbizzle004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
Takumi788
JHerbert Racing

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,186 Times in 593 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
From a guy that prefers RWD cars in the winter and has driven both a convertible 240sx and a FC3S through ruff CNY winters, this car is pretty bad in the winter. Dont know why but my FC3S with 235 series summer tires did better that the FRS and i only drove the FRS through less than a month of winter...Suggestion buy a cheap winter rat.

Also in NY the bastards use salt to melt the ice on the roads which rusts the crap out of your car quickly. Not sure about NH but beware.
- #813 2013 Scion FRS Build Thread
- JHerbert Racing Website
Takumi788 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Takumi788 For This Useful Post:
WRXGuy1 (09-09-2013)
Old 09-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #8
joop1987

Drives: 2013 FRS, Raven, Auto
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
With Blizzak WS70 snow tires the FR-S goes through most snow here in NJ. (As long as it don't bottom out). Add some weight in the trunk for the heavy storms. But we don't have hills here.

I also drive my previous car; 2002 Mustang GT, with Blizzaks and had no problems.
joop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:44 AM   #9
mpicher
Autocross Nut

Drives: Argento 2013 Scion FR-S - MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The thing to remember about snow in New England is that our road crews are used to dealing with it. You get a foot of snow on one day and the roads are clear the next... not like down south where it would cripple an area for 4 or 5 days.

That being said, the crap we put on the roads to deal with salt does bad things to all cars. IMHO, buy a $2000 beater winter car/pickup and put your good car up for the winter.
mpicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
Prog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXGuy1 View Post
It's horrible in the snow if you plan to drive it during or immediately after a snowstorm if there's more than a dusting on the roads. I had studless snow tires and even on slight inclines I couldn't start from a stop, I had to back up and get running starts. I live just west of Manchester so it's a little further north with more hills, and even though I made it most days it was not a fun experience.
I don't really plan on driving during/immediately after a snow storm, but mother nature probably won't give me a choice. :P

Do you know if they salt the roads in NH? I'll probably be somewhere within 30 minutes of Dover, but not sure yet. Definitely southern NH though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyB View Post
I got my car in March, and the day after I got it, we got a mild snow storm. It was more slush. I drove in it with the stock Michelin Primacy HP tires on, and I did okay. I think snow tires will help out a lot. First day I drove it was still snowing, and I was doing back roads. I did fine, didn't have the tail kick out on me or anything.

Next day, roads weren't plowed very well, and as I got onto the on ramp, I hit a big pile a slush/snow at maybe 45mph, and did have the tail kick out on me slightly for a second. Little bit of counter steer, and I was fine.

I was unfamiliar with the car, having only driven in from the dealer to my house the day before the storm, so less than 5 miles. I feel like now, after nearly 12,000 miles, and with snow tires, it'll be nothing.
I've never driven in snow before, so I'm not really sure what to expect. I know high horsepower and/or performance tires don't do well, but the FR-S is not high horsepower and I could always put winter tires on it. That doesn't solve the problem of it being low, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbizzle004 View Post
It all depends on how good you are of a driver. In deep snow staring from a stop you may need to rock it. I drove it in southern WI last winter with no issues. I have snow tires and did get stuck in the parking lot due to a snow storm and deep snow but I was able to rock it out. But I'm also used to driving rear wheel cars ( Crown Vic, Charger) in the snow with none to little issues.
Were those cars okay in the snow? I'm a decent driver, but completely inexperienced in snow driving (it doesn't snow where I live). I don't plan on getting rid of my Camaro, and I've heard it can do okay in the snow with the right tires (it's the 312 HP V6, not the 426 HP V8). I was considering getting the undercarriage coated and seeing how all-weather/winter tires do on it, but at that price, I may also be better buying a beater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpicher View Post
The thing to remember about snow in New England is that our road crews are used to dealing with it. You get a foot of snow on one day and the roads are clear the next... not like down south where it would cripple an area for 4 or 5 days.

That being said, the crap we put on the roads to deal with salt does bad things to all cars. IMHO, buy a $2000 beater winter car/pickup and put your good car up for the winter.
Would it help to get the undercarriage coated? I bought a 240sx from a guy in Pennsylvania and the undercarriage was completely rust free because he'd had it coated. It looks to be a good idea, but I imagine it would cost a couple/few grand.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #11
Books

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S (MT)
Garage
2 things:

1. Have you driven in snow before? If not, it's going to suck so take it easy your first time.

2. Get some snow tires and you'll be fine.

This was over winter with some Blizzaks:
Old 09-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #12
Prog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Books View Post
2 things:

1. Have you driven in snow before? If not, it's going to suck so take it easy your first time.

2. Get some snow tires and you'll be fine.

This was over winter with some Blizzaks:
1) No.

2) Cool beans, good to know. :happy0180:
Old 09-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #13
WRXGuy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog View Post
I don't really plan on driving during/immediately after a snow storm, but mother nature probably won't give me a choice. :P

Do you know if they salt the roads in NH? I'll probably be somewhere within 30 minutes of Dover, but not sure yet. Definitely southern NH though.

I've never driven in snow before, so I'm not really sure what to expect. I know high horsepower and/or performance tires don't do well, but the FR-S is not high horsepower and I could always put winter tires on it. That doesn't solve the problem of it being low, though.

Were those cars okay in the snow? I'm a decent driver, but completely inexperienced in snow driving (it doesn't snow where I live). I don't plan on getting rid of my Camaro, and I've heard it can do okay in the snow with the right tires (it's the 312 HP V6, not the 426 HP V8). I was considering getting the undercarriage coated and seeing how all-weather/winter tires do on it, but at that price, I may also be better buying a beater.

Would it help to get the undercarriage coated? I bought a 240sx from a guy in Pennsylvania and the undercarriage was completely rust free because he'd had it coated. It looks to be a good idea, but I imagine it would cost a couple/few grand.
Yes they salt and sand the roads, it's actually a mixture of both. There are a few roads though that are labeled "limited salt use" or "no salt use", so those roads just get sanded.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #14
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The trick is to be conservative. That means:

1) Use dedicated snows.
2) Wait for the roads to be cleared.
3) Don't drive through the thick stuff. Clearance is only 5".
4) Brake easy and in advance of when you normally would, and do not turn abruptly.

That said, the car behaves very predictably in snow. Just get some experience under your belt.
Practice on a snowy parking lot. It is a lot of fun, and you'll figure out how to do a controlled slip and recovery.

Last edited by FRiSson; 10-07-2013 at 04:22 PM.
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote