follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

View Poll Results: Celica or FR-S
Keep the Celica. 2 7.14%
Get the FR-S! 26 92.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 10-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
DIM

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Is the FR-S worth getting?

Hey all,

As some of you know, I own a 2005 Celica GT-S with the Tsunami Body kit since 2008. And I've been watching the FR-S ever since 2009 as the FT-86. And I love how the car looks and the fact the it's RWD. But overall, how much of an upgrade would it be going from a Celica to a FR-S? I've been debating to get one or not.

Pro's & Con's Vs. Celica

FR-S

Pros:
-New Car
-More power (not much)
-RWD
-Good after market support
-Active forums

Cons:
-Monthly Payments
-Not much faster than a Celica
-No room in the space in the back seats
-Hatchback > Trunk
-Less storage compartments
-First year on the market = Problems
-So far from what I've seen on ft86club, Interior rattles, torque dips,

For pro's and con's that's all I can think of. I'll add more later when I can think of some.

So would you guys keep the Celica or get the FR-S?

Opinons? Let's discuss.

P.S.

I posted this same thread on NewCelica.org, just wanna see your guy's opinion.

My forum voted:

Keep the Celica: 50 votes
Get an FR-S! : 32 votes

Here's the link for reference:

Source: http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=343952
Old 10-25-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
MVJ1975
Automatic Hooligan

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Garage
I suppose my answer depends greatly on how much work you're planning on putting into the FR-S if you get one.

While the FR-S might not have all that much power over the Celica now, turbo/supercharge the FR-S (even mildly) and it'll blow the Celica away.

Even though the FR-S might not be quite as "practical" as the Celica, that's sort of like saying that Limburger cheese smells better than Durian. Neither car is practical. I went from a tC to an FR-S, and I don't see any difference as far as day-to-day practicality is concerned. It's not like you're going from a Camry or a CUV to an FR-S, you're just going from a 2-dr coupe to another one.

Still, there's something to be said for the devil you know, and in your case it's a very nice car that you've put quite a bit of love and work into. I wouldn't discard that lightly.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Assuming the Celica is dependable and still fun to drive, you might be just kicking up the fun factor a bit. So, I'd let my budget dictate. Do you want to spend the money? Or, perhaps you have other things you like to put you money toward.

I used to buy and restore pinball machines. I sold several and put the money into my FR-S, essentially switching hobbies. Still kept a few pinballs though.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
DIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVJ1975 View Post
I suppose my answer depends greatly on how much work you're planning on putting into the FR-S if you get one.

While the FR-S might not have all that much power over the Celica now, turbo/supercharge the FR-S (even mildly) and it'll blow the Celica away.

Even though the FR-S might not be quite as "practical" as the Celica, that's sort of like saying that Limburger cheese smells better than Durian. Neither car is practical. I went from a tC to an FR-S, and I don't see any difference as far as day-to-day practicality is concerned. It's not like you're going from a Camry or a CUV to an FR-S, you're just going from a 2-dr coupe to another one.

Still, there's something to be said for the devil you know, and in your case it's a very nice car that you've put quite a bit of love and work into. I wouldn't discard that lightly.
Well, I stopped modding my Celica ever since it came out, so if I do get one, it won't be a hassle taking everything off and selling it. And, I love seeing my Celica everyday when I get off of work. Puts a smile on my face, though, I'm pretty sure the FR-S will put an ever bigger one.

P.S.
Can a Moderator add the poll? I forgot to add one.

2 options:
Keep the Celica.
Get the FR-S!

Old 10-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #5
draggin_az
Small penis big dreams

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
you posted that question on a biased website so of course they are going to say keep the celica

post the same question on here and everyone would say get the FRS.
draggin_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
CaptainSlow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
There is no way anyone on this site can answer that question for you. All comes down to your budget, your desires, your driving habits, your needs, etc. Just look at the car as a whole, test drive one, and make up your mind.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
DIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Assuming the Celica is dependable and still fun to drive, you might be just kicking up the fun factor a bit. So, I'd let my budget dictate. Do you want to spend the money? Or, perhaps you have other things you like to put you money toward.

I used to buy and restore pinball machines. I sold several and put the money into my FR-S, essentially switching hobbies. Still kept a few pinballs though.
Yes, it is still very fun to drive. I love hitting lift and shifting at 8300rpm's! And good handling as well also.

As budget wise, it's not really a factor. I don't spend much at all, only things that I really need. And as said, I stopped buying stuff for my Celica.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:56 AM   #8
DIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by draggin_az View Post
you posted that question on a biased website so of course they are going to say keep the celica

post the same question on here and everyone would say get the FRS.
Knew someone was gonna say that, that's why I posted the same EXACT thread on this forum. I just forgot to add the poll. And not everyone's biasesd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
There is no way anyone on this site can answer that question for you. All comes down to your budget, your desires, your driving habits, your needs, etc. Just look at the car as a whole, test drive one, and make up your mind.
Yeah I know, but I like seeing people's opinion's about this. That's all really. I know in the end, it's my choice. And I've been talking to a Toyota dealership recently to set one up.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #9
jadewbj

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FRS
Garage
If budget is not an issue than I would say to upgrade to a car that is 8 years newer with HUGE aftermarket support would be a fun and reliable project.
jadewbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #10
CaptainSlow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
This is what I do when I look at a new car:

1) Determine the total cost of ownership of my current car. This means payments, gas, insurance, and basic upkeep figured down to a monthly basis
2) Determine the estimated cost of ownership of the new car.
3) Determine the ROI of the purchase. What do I gain from getting the new car?
4) Determine the potential losses of the purchase. What do I stand to lose?
5) Look holistically at the difference in cost of ownership, the potential gains, and the potential losses and determine if the purchase would be beneficial or unrewarding as a whole

For instance, in the case of the GTO:

1+2) I would stand to potentially save around $0-$40 a month from my current payments/insurance/gas for the GTO with the FR-S (I wouldn't be paying MORE)
3) I gain a car with a warranty, better handling, better MPG, peace of mind knowing Subaru/Toyota makes a decently reliable car that I won't have to worry about blowing up or breaking down (or will be fixed for free if it does w/ warranty), better handling, more "sporty" feel, better looking (IMO), usable cargo space (with the fold-down rear seats), more updated equipment (stability control, blue-tooth hands-free radio, etc), and something I can be proud of owning (never really felt that way with this car)
4) I lose a lot of power/torque, usable rear seats, ease of repair (parts are everywhere and are CHEAP)
5) In the end, I stood to gain more than I stood to lose, so it made sense for me
Old 10-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #11
draggin_az
Small penis big dreams

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIM View Post
Knew someone was gonna say that, that's why I posted the same EXACT thread on this forum. I just forgot to add the poll. And not everyone's biasesd.

Yeah I know, but I like seeing people's opinion's about this. That's all really. I know in the end, it's my choice. And I've been talking to a Toyota dealership recently to set one up.
your right not everyone is biased but forums are biased

if you go to a colorado forum and say should I get a colorado or frontier they will say a colorado.

if you go to a mustang forum and ask should I get a camero or mustang they'll say get a mustang.

they only say get another car if your upgrading. if you come on here asking should I get a zenvo st1 or FRS everyone will say get the zenvo.
draggin_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #12
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Depends what you're looking for. The FR-S has been more entertaining for me to drive in autocross and on back roads than any FWD car I've had because of the neutral handling balance, RWD, and limited slip differential.

So it's great for me, but if you aren't going to autocross your car and won't drive on many back roads, it might not be the right car for you. You might be better off going with a car that has more storage space or has more power, etc. Hard to answer your question without knowing what you're looking for honestly.
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #13
Rayme
The Answer

Drives: Mazda 2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
If you factory in money, in any way, you'd be better keep the celica. My friend uses a 2000 GT-S and he's always on the road as an IBM tech, the poor car has almost 200 000 miles on it but still works.

By the way, the Fr-S feels MUCH FASTER than the 1.8 2zz-ge. This car has alot of torque down low, anybody saying otherwise obviously didn't drive much 90's 4 bangers. This things pulls really good from a stop, as good as my 94 celica 2.2 5S-FE.

If you have the mean, by the love of the universe get it, you know you want it. Don't let the first year gremlin throw you off, so far there's been MUCH WORST cars out there with shitty first years (*cough *cough, 2000 Ford Focus).

The best reason : You will LOVE the car.
Rayme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rayme For This Useful Post:
ExWhyZer0 (10-25-2012)
Old 10-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #14
Suffa

Drives: Black GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm also with a celica and getting an frs. My reasoning was the celica is showing its age, the Ks are getting high and I can afford it. It's time to move on. Get the new car!
Suffa is offline   Reply With Quote