follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Mid-Atlantic

Mid-Atlantic DC, DE, MD, VA, WV

User Tag List

Old 08-16-2017, 12:00 PM   #1
ap5512

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Safety Inspection

Hey - any of you know a service center that does safety inspection but is a little flexible? I went to VA Tire yesterday in Ashburn but was told my side marker lights can't be LED (which I can understand since it is illegal) but what threw me off was that they tried to tell me that my front LED strips (above the fog light) is also not allowed. I told them it's OEM and comes from the factory like that and also pointed out how majority of the cars these days come with some kind of LED daytime running lights. Needless to say I won't be going back to them so wanted to know if you guys know a better place around the ashburn/sterling/aldie area. Thanks.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:43 PM   #2
mdm
not a twin owner

Drives: 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Why don't you do it at a Toyota or Subaru dealer. They should know what's OEM and what is not in their own cars, and safety inspection costs the same wherever you do it. (That may not solve the side markers problem, but maybe at least the front strips)
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mdm For This Useful Post:
ap5512 (08-28-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 02:59 PM   #3
rns294

Drives: 13 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Is the problem that you have a sidemarker that is not amber but is lit with an amber bulb? Or do you have the stock side marker with an LED instead of incandescent?

I've been to the Fairfax Sunoco where 29 and 50 meet and they seem to just go for quantity and a little light on the thoroughness of the inspection.
rns294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:00 AM   #4
ecko04
Seems Legit

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
I've taken a few very heavily modified bikes and cars to these locations and always passed with no issues:

My go-to is Telegraph BP Auto Care nearby the Huntington Metro Station. For the past 2 years I've been taking the cars there. The only time I go to that location is for inspections. It's always the same inspector, he's very nice, works fast and I've had no issues.

I just took my bike to the VA Tire & Auto in Springfield 3 weeks ago since I had just picked it up and they were open on a Sunday, when I went. Inspection mandates that, if equipped, the rear turn signals should be 9" from the brake light. Due to a fender delete kit, mine were roughly 5" from center. Still passed and wasn't even asked about them.

One thing I will say about my mods, which include a sidemarker delete kit, is that they look factory. The same applies to the bike, if you hadn't seen a previous bike of the same model the fender delete kit looks stock, which may help with an inspector with a keen eye.

It's pretty well known that state inspections aren't uniform. Try your luck with another inspector before making any changes to your ride which may be unwarranted.
The Following User Says Thank You to ecko04 For This Useful Post:
ap5512 (08-28-2017)